hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: [Friday] Current Status

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar

[Friday] Current Status

Sorry to disappoint the haters.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Homework fucking sucks.

"Hey, I'm an engineering course! You're gonna learn about ethics! And on top of all the technical homework your other classes are giving you, here's a weekly writing assignment with a vague prompt."

I love everything about this class except the weekly homework, which makes me wanna die.
    Totally not Victoria Stecker forgetting his password and not having access to his work email.

The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steckersaurus View Post
    Homework fucking sucks.

"Hey, I'm an engineering course! You're gonna learn about ethics! And on top of all the technical homework your other classes are giving you, here's a weekly writing assignment with a vague prompt."

I love everything about this class except the weekly homework, which makes me wanna die.
    Bin it all and go work in McDonald's then!
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.

Do your fucking homework you lazy shit. It's how you git gud.

I iz gud. I just hate writing assignments like this. It asks a question that takes a couple pages to answer, and want it in a paragraph.

I live with a pair of english teachers. They've looked at these assignments and had the same response:
    Totally not Victoria Stecker forgetting his password and not having access to his work email.

I iz gud. I just hate writing assignments like this. It asks a question that takes a couple pages to answer, and want it in a paragraph.

I live with a pair of english teachers. They've looked at these assignments and had the same response:
    I'm going to need an example here.
    meh

Here lets trade I get plenty of assignments asking for 2 pages for shit that needs half a page at best.

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post

I'm going to need an example here.
    Sure. This was the one on Big Data. That second paragraph could be a paper on its own.

Activity
    Go to a crowded public place and take notes. As you see people, jot down words that come to mind about this person's reputation. What words might this person use to describe his/her own reputation? What words might a close friend use? A colleague? Jot down words and observations. See if you can connect your word to something about that person that brought that word to mind.

First paragraph: Write up your notes and observations from the activity above into a paragraph. Draw on the definition of identity we worked with in lecture.

Second paragraph, discuss the link between Big Data, privacy and reputation. What is within our control when it comes to reputation, and what is out of our control?

Third paragraph: What did you find compelling in the PCAST piece? Find at least two concepts from textbook Chapter 2 and tie them in to what you learned from the PCAST piece.

Finally, consider the implications behind the Wired article and in a separate paragraph, answer the following questions: To what extent do you think Apple's "differential privacy" will address ethical concerns with respect to "big data" and privacy? What are the challenges to projecting and discussing the long term consequences of a technology such as differential privacy? How does the SEC article change your perspective?
    This is my current torment, the Thomas Drake case.

Paragraph 1: What do you think of Thomas Drake's behavior? Did he follow the "best practices" of someone who is in the position to criticize their employer's behavior? What insights from "The Whistleblower's Dilemma" help you arrive at your analysis?

Paragraph 2: Compare yourself with Thomas Drake. Refer to at least two terms from Chapter 3 in van de Poel. Put yourself in the shoes of one of the actors in the Thomas Drake case. Who do you resemble? Use data from your life to make your point: Think of a time when you noticed something needed to be done, but wasn't. What did you do? Using this example, explain your conflicts, your motivations and your interests. What values do you think influence your opinion?

Paragraph 3: Reflect on this case. Refer back to the readings. What factors shape public opinion on this issue? How are risks communicated and perceived? Be general and specific.
    After the first two assignments sucked balls, I asked my TA what kind of effort was supposed to go into these. He said no more than an hour. Meanwhile the assignment says: "Don't write too little and don't write too much. Remember, it is harder to write a shorter paper that has a lot of meaning than it is to write a longer paper that is drivel."

These are fucking weekly assignments. The week's is due in 50 minutes. FML.

Quote Originally Posted by Varcaus View Post
    Here lets trade I get plenty of assignments asking for 2 pages for shit that needs half a page at best.
    You gotta step up your elaboration and embellishment game. Pick something that you wrote concisely. Expound on it. It's just one step up from bullshit, but it's a valuable skill.

current status: drunk sandwichmaking

as per usual with me posts the last two weeks, I got drunk (but not too drunk), swung my dancing legs, had a good time, the end

I'm really gonna miss this period when it inevitably ends in maximum two weeks

edit: also loling to the max to at the engineering student cliche who gets a writing assignment and flips his shit
    best.
    Last edited by FatFreddy; February 17 2017 at 03:21:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Pastry.. That the best you can do?
    Quote Originally Posted by NotXenosis View Post

M8, i have discussions that spam multiple accounts, you aren't even on my level

Thomas Drake is a pretty good example tbh

We got Goodearl and Aldrich or whatever their names are to write about. Which always seemed like a good argument for not whistleblowing: They were 100% in the right, and they end up stocking supermarket shelves anyway because blacklist. And correspondingly no one gave a shit, even though we like to babble on about the value of ethics

Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post

We got Goodearl and Aldrich or whatever their names are to write about. Which always seemed like a good argument for not whistleblowing: They were 100% in the right, and they end up stocking supermarket shelves anyway because blacklist. And correspondingly no one gave a shit, even though we like to babble on about the value of ethics
    If you stick to your ethics when push comes to shove, you better be prepared to be incarcerated/eat nothing more than bread crusts and shiver in the winter because you can't even afford heating until the end of your life

#trufax

Quote Originally Posted by FatFreddy View Post
    edit: also loling to the max to at the engineering student cliche who gets a writing assignment and flips his shit
    best.
    Yup, that's me. I write well, but I hate doing it. And I think weekly writing assignments are for people who need to learn how to write, like the freshmen who end up in my wife's classes (OH MY GOD SOME OF THESE CHILDREN SHOULD NOT HAVE GRADUATED HIGH SCHOOL).

But I mostly just hate the way these assignments are written. And this is a shitty week (dying grandparent, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post

Yeah, the New Yorker article on Drake was pretty cool, it out of date (I think they dropped most of the charges and he took a plea bargain?). And we're looking at the Snowden stuff in relation, which is just weird. That was almost four years ago or something.

best.
    Yup, that's me. I write well, but I hate doing it. And I think weekly writing assignments are for people who need to learn how to write, like the freshmen who end up in my wife's classes (OH MY GOD SOME OF THESE CHILDREN SHOULD NOT HAVE GRADUATED HIGH SCHOOL).

But I mostly just hate the way these assignments are written. And this is a shitty week (dying grandparent, etc).
    to be fair and since you didn't bite, those assignments are grade A brainwank bullshit to the max and your lecturer deserves a paddling

which I say as humanitiesfag and prospective german/english teacher btw

this shit right here:

Activity
    Go to a crowded public place and take notes. As you see people, jot down words that come to mind about this person's reputation. What words might this person use to describe his/her own reputation? What words might a close friend use? A colleague? Jot down words and observations. See if you can connect your word to something about that person that brought that word to mind.
    can fuck right off.

Jot down fuck you. Reminds me of my esoteric lesbian english teacher in highschool, she would have loved this type of meaningless pseudo-intellectual contemplation.
    Last edited by FatFreddy; February 17 2017 at 03:39:04 AM.

best.

to be fair and since you didn't bite, those assignments are grade A brainwank bullshit to the max and your lecturer deserves a paddling

which I say as humanitiesfag and prospective german/english teacher btw

this shit right here:

Activity
    can fuck right off.

Jot down fuck you. Reminds me of my esoteric lesbian english teacher in highschool, she would have loved this type of meaningless pseudo-intellectual contemplation.
    you guys are lucky then. all of that seems pretty common in the US.

its pretty much the reason why I tanked my humanities style courses in high school. I just blew off all that tedious bullshit

"mewninn, you are missing 11 homeworks"

"yeah"
    Last edited by mewninn; February 17 2017 at 03:49:48 AM.

I just realized Youtube Ozzy Man is literally Paradox austrian twin brother IRL:

Also it's friday so yay
    Last edited by Stoffl; February 17 2017 at 05:35:50 AM.

Skiing tomorrow and hiking on Sunday. Cmoooon weeekeeeend.

Um, this was my shop two days ago.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2017/02/1...erous-suspect/

Remind me again why I wanted to be in an industry full of crazy people?
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

Quote Originally Posted by Dorvil Barranis View Post
    Um, this was my shop two days ago.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2017/02/1...erous-suspect/

Remind me again why I wanted to be in an industry full of crazy people?
    Because you are a bit nuts as well m8.

I guess there is that.
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang