Thread: [Wednesday] Daythread game on point

[Wednesday] Daythread game on point

Hattrick achieved [x]

Smoked Ham acquired [x]

Life status: Rolling~
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Pastry.. That the best you can do?
    Quote Originally Posted by NotXenosis View Post

M8, i have discussions that spam multiple accounts, you aren't even on my level

Had bacon & french toast (made with sliced Turkish breads) for breakfast. Current status: groggy.

Much speck.

please let this be true:

Whoop whoop! A vibrational pulse produced by honeybees, long thought to be a signal to other bees to stop what they are doing, might actually be an expression of surprise.
    https://www.newscientist.com/article...to-each-other/

It is actually a "whoop" btw:

https://soundcloud.com/new-scientist...hooping-signal

full article because everyone should know this

Bees produce vibrations with their wing muscles that are inaudible to humans but can be detected by accelerometers embedded in the honeycomb.

In the 1950s, researchers noticed that this signal was often followed by bees exchanging food, and hypothesised that it was a request for food. Later, it was shown that the signal was produced when one bee tried to inhibit another from performing a waggle dance – a behaviour that tells other bees where to forage. It was interpreted as a “stop” signal that warns colleagues against foraging in a location where there might be problems, such as a predator or a researcher bothering the bees for an experiment.

To find out more, Martin Bencsik and colleagues at Nottingham Trent University in the UK used accelerometers to record vibrations inside hives over the course of a year. Then they used software to scan the recordings and identify the signal. Some of these signals have been collected and converted into the sound clip below.

They found that the signal happens much more commonly than we thought, with the accelerometer picking up around six or seven a minute from just a small area of the honeycomb. “There’s no way a bee was trying to inhibit another one that frequently, and there’s no way a bee would request food that frequently” says Bencsik.

They also found that the signal takes place mostly at night – in contrast to waggle dances, which happen in the day when bees are foraging. What’s more, the signal is easy to elicit from hundreds of bees en masse just by knocking gently on the wooden wall of the hive.
    Bee bumps

By placing cameras inside the hive, the researchers discovered that the signal often happens when a bee bumps into another bee near the accelerometer, and not when bees are waggle dancing or exchanging food.

“We suggest that, in the majority of instances, it is bees being startled that produce the signal,” says Bencsik. The team propose that instead of the “stop” signal, it should be called the “whooping” signal.

Earlier studies might have misjudged which bee was producing the vibration. When a bee is inhibiting others from foraging, it headbutts the bee that’s doing the waggle dance. Bencsik thinks the vibration might be a startled response by the bee that’s been headbutted and not the inhibitor, since it’s impossible to tell exactly where it’s coming from. Exchange of food between bees is also preceded by headbutting, so that could also be explained by this new interpretation.

It could also offer a way to monitor the status of the colony, by delivering a standardised stimulus and measuring the response. “I would imagine an unstressed colony would have less of a response and a colony that’s very stressed would be very reactive to a small stimulus,” says Bencsik.

Journal reference: PLoS One, DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0171162
    Last edited by FatFreddy; February 14 2017 at 11:42:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Pastry.. That the best you can do?
    Quote Originally Posted by NotXenosis View Post

M8, i have discussions that spam multiple accounts, you aren't even on my level

I am sitting here with a mild headache and I am DONE. I want to go home and cry but I need to get flowers or some shit

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting

I bought a wireless angle grinder for Single awarness day!

Home depot was empty as fuck, could manage to do a few aisle and even the clercks seemed to run away from me

still aching wednesday

Nice to see some fucking daylight in my way to work for a change. I feel like man wasn't really meant to live in the Northern hemisphere in the winter and that we should reduce to a 3 hour working day during those months so everyone can get a chance to see some sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Nice to see some fucking daylight in my way to work for a change. I feel like man wasn't really meant to live in the Northern hemisphere in the winter and that we should reduce to a 3 hour working day during those months so everyone can get a chance to see some sunlight.
    Yep looking forward to being able to drive home and it still being daylight soon.

Amazing how much of a difference in mood the effect of sunlight has.

I doubt I would survive if I lived in Iceland. UK winter months are dreary enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandzibar View Post
    Yep looking forward to being able to drive home and it still being daylight soon.

I doubt I would survive if I lived in Iceland. UK winter months are dreary enough.
    I find it's particularly bad in London, which has a micro-climate of permanent grey cloud to go with its grey cloudy people.

Pretty odd considering you're all a bunch of faggots.

I find it's particularly bad in London, which has a micro-climate of permanent grey cloud to go with its grey cloudy people.
    Well the staggering wealth of you bourgeoisie London Elite should be of comfort. Means you can afford to go away to warmer sunnier climes.

Whereas the rest of us impoverished workers must make do with bread, water, and the fickle nature of the UK weather system as foreign trips are mere dreams.

bitches love my mad sed skills Donor tekai's Avatar
    Yesterday I tried to buy a voucher online and have a short self-written poem on it for my gf. But stupid shop wouldn't offer PayPal as a payment option and the short poem was too long. So I got a somewhat nice card, a good bottle of wine and chocolate I know she likes. Worked out! She liked both the poem and the wine, we ranted a bit about her boss (I was fuming which happens very very very rarely) but had a very nice evening otherwise. Thanks Tinder
    17:42 <QuackBot> Tekai, i have to say that you have autism.

On a first class train suck it peasants.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post
    Even the Chinese bot says:

"Wise Dragon fears nothing
    But runs like fuck when psycho bitch sees the spiders"

Quote Originally Posted by Chakrai View Post
    On a first class train suck it peasants.
    You are now on the list. Luckily there's a whole load of fat lawyers and print editors to get through first, so you'll survive for some time when the revolution comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoffl View Post
    still aching wednesday
    Haha old man.
    I'm actually not sore. Yet.

had breakfastbread with a slice of sandwich ham with all kinds of nuts and sesame things in it, tasted awesome x 10!
    Didn't pack lunchbox last night so I got to find something to eat outside the office, maybe just do italian soup in the microwave oven or hang out with boss over to mcdonalds to shorten my lifespan..

Hyperoptic being installed in my building as i type.

1gig/s here I come.

qft