hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them

Thread: Need new program to write images to SD cards.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar

Need new program to write images to SD cards.

So I'm trying to set up a Stratux unit for my dad using Raspberry Pi. I've downloaded the image from the website and used Win32DiskImager to write the file. The program happily proceeds to do what is asked without errors, but when it finishes, I open the card in Windows Explorer and there's only ~19MB worth of data, and the capacity is now 59.9MB (it's a 32GB card). This has happened twice on 2 different computers.

Doing some googling, I find that others are having similar issues. I did find a fix to restore the full capacity of the card, but I need a different program to write images. Any suggestions?
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    So I'm trying to set up a Stratux unit for my dad using Raspberry Pi. I've downloaded the image from the website and used Win32DiskImager to write the file. The program happily proceeds to do what is asked without errors, but when it finishes, I open the card in Windows Explorer and there's only ~19MB worth of data, and the capacity is now 59.9MB (it's a 32GB card). This has happened twice on 2 different computers.

Doing some googling, I find that others are having similar issues. I did find a fix to restore the full capacity of the card, but I need a different program to write images. Any suggestions?
    Raspi is most probably (definitely?) running some unix, linux normally uses something like ext4. Windows doesnt support this file system at all (afaik) so you only see the partition which has a file system that is compatible with the OS (where you are running the tool).

Formatting and everything is pretty much pre-done when you are burning images. The image itself has a format and the tool only puts everything on the sd card as it is told.

TL DR its not a problem and its working as intended.
    <Devec> hello captain Tyrehl
    <Devec> sailor of the persian seas
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox
    I swear you are some sort of biological weapon developed in the early '90's for the Yugoslav wars but they lost track of you at some point and now you're waging a psychological war on Western Europe without a clue what you're doing.

Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    you should still be able to see the unsupported partition space in diskmgmt.msc?
      Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrehl View Post
    Raspi is most probably (definitely?) running some unix, linux normally uses something like ext4. Windows doesnt support this file system at all (afaik) so you only see the partition which has a file system that is compatible with the OS (where you are running the tool).

Formatting and everything is pretty much pre-done when you are burning images. The image itself has a format and the tool only puts everything on the sd card as it is told.

TL DR its not a problem and its working as intended.
    Oh, really. Well, that's something I would have never thought of. I was under the impression that SD cards used only FAT16, FAT32 or NTFS.

It would explain why diskpart reported 27GB free on a 29GB volume.

Well, I'll give it another go, and if it works out, I'll send some reps your way.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm

With the Live CD of GParted you should be able to see/manipulate (if needed) the partition(s) of your SD card.

It's superior in any way, shape or form over Windows' DiskPart, btw. Even for Windows.

Well, I re-imaged the SD card, and it works fine in the RPi, so Tyrehl gets a +rep.