hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: [TMA] How to fly solo

If you're not playing to win by destroying the other ship/fleet and bring as many of yours home as possible, I hope you enjoy the e-honour/whatever makes up for losing.

Quote Originally Posted by Davion Falcon View Post
    If you're not playing to win by destroying the other ship/fleet and bring as many of yours home as possible, I hope you enjoy the e-honour/whatever makes up for losing.
    oorah

It's called fun. Sandbox ftw.

I am the 99.99998% Tyrus Tenebros's Avatar
    Except the other half of the equation is engageability. It's absurdly trivial to undock in something that the opponents won't engage because they stand no chance of making an even ISK trade.

One trick is to show them something that makes them believe they can win, and yet end up losing ships while you retain your own. Soloing in certain ships that have wide ranging or relatively unknown capabilities comes to mind, the tempest from my fights yesterday where I warped in alone against a couple of tier3s or against a gang of 4 frigates + a tengu, . In both cases I had looked overconfident (or stupid, in the case of the 5, since i was chatting in local about them stealing my belt rat kills...) and actually went in fairly certain I would at least be able to escape. Alternatively, flying anything where people are unfamiliar with the capabilities of your ship falls in to this category (or vs. players unfamiliar either with the pilot skill or fittings used)

The other trick is to engage them in a way that doesn't make them want to retreat until after they discover the odds are against them. Hotdropping, for those with the no-such-thing-as-overkill crowd... falcons for the small gang crowd... and for solo, a ship like the proteus I just lost (lolfalcons) with which i killed quite a few ships using probing tricks while solo.

Nobody in this thread has claimed the honour > winning. The point is winning against odds where most people in the game display risk-aversion. In fact I'd almost go so far as to say exploiting their risk aversion in order to win in some cases (pilots unwilling to overheat MWD in to the teeth of a hostile fleet, even while outnumbering them significantly, etc.)

Did I hit a sore spot? I love soloing, I was merely telling the truth.
    This, for example, when I pointed out it would have been stupid for the drake to engage. That's how the solo strategy plays out usually. As mentioned, nobody wins solo vs. 20 BCs in a direct fight, not even a pimped legion boosted overheated exile using hyperion... engagement selection, killing viable targets, and using every trick you have available contributes to enjoying a victory over a force that should be superior on paper.
    I tried to be cool and all I got was a lousy warning about my sig being too big.

lol you guys. I do fly a deimos infact I exclusively fly gallente ships. It's a good ship, its just not for me. I did have an mwd but was still slow and didn't fancy being double webbed.
    Last edited by z0de; April 11 2012 at 08:22:06 PM.
    spaceships go woosh

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrus Tenebros View Post
    nobody wins solo vs. 20 BCs in a direct fight
    Titans

honoure > winning

What is the fastest way for a Gallente dummy to become a Grand Master of LeKite? I've come to the conclusion that Talos is the missing link from Gal line-up, is fast, has range. Problem is, I've never flown anything remotely like this fine vessel. This terribleness resulted in a rather embarassing loss to a Thorax and sentry guns... \o/

So besides the obvious practice, practice and practice (I play with sleepers when corpies are not around in their fag Tengus), what solid tips you could give to make me a better kiter? Pro camera tricks, range control, common maneuvers etc?

I assume you have seen this already?

http://www.eveiseasy.com/0-0-talos/
    Contract stuff to Seraphina Amaranth.

"You give me the awful impression - I hate to have to say - of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position. Ever."

Yeah, that's a great guide covering a lot of the relevant tactics. Kil2 and/or Kovorix have also nice vids with the Talos.

Perhaps I'm mostly after really basic methods of manual piloting:

- do people use the speedometer to adjust speed, or just rely on toggling the MWD and heat on/off?
    - are the preset buttons usable at all in any situation (keep at range, orbit)?
    - how do you prefer to close in to point range on a slower target? I tried swooping closer in an arch from the side, didn't end well.
    - is there a way to reset camera to a zoomed out state, after "look at"? Talos is a gorgeous ship, but it suddenly fllling my screen is distracting.

Stuff like that .

Set keep at range to 1000km+, use it to head directly away from people. Remember the game changes the defaults on these depends on what you've set them to per ship type/hull class. Handy if you use different ship types requiring different ranges, less so if you have different fits for the same type.

Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    Set keep at range to 1000km+, use it to head directly away from people. Remember the game changes the defaults on these depends on what you've set them to per ship type/hull class. Handy if you use different ship types requiring different ranges, less so if you have different fits for the same type.
    except not in a talos.

you have keep at range and orbit. i recommend using them both. use one for killing and one for running. which you use for which depends on the ship.

in the shiled talos your most important killing range is going to be you long point range. set your keep at range for just under that. you want to use keep at range instead of orbit for this so you don't fuck your transversal. so you still need your running button and all you have is orbit. no problem, you will run away in a straight line just the same as if you used keep at range.

still, i almost never use my running button because i like to manually veer toward a celestial and then align it. but the keep at [long point range] button in a shield talos i use a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Roime View Post
    Yeah, that's a great guide covering a lot of the relevant tactics. Kil2 and/or Kovorix have also nice vids with the Talos.

Perhaps I'm mostly after really basic methods of manual piloting:

- do people use the speedometer to adjust speed, or just rely on toggling the MWD and heat on/off?
    - are the preset buttons usable at all in any situation (keep at range, orbit)?
    - how do you prefer to close in to point range on a slower target? I tried swooping closer in an arch from the side, didn't end well.
    - is there a way to reset camera to a zoomed out state, after "look at"? Talos is a gorgeous ship, but it suddenly fllling my screen is distracting.

Stuff like that .
    - I prefer to pulse the MWD, that way I can minimise cap usage. If you want to learn how to do this properly, I strongly recommend flying a Shield Harbinger solo (great ship) to start off with, then progressing to an Shield Omen Navy (hardcore mode)
    - I only use orbit/keep at range on easy fights, basically ganks.
    - Depends on the situation - whether you have links or not, whether they have links, what ships they're in etc. Generally though, I come in at an angle to them. This angle is larger if I'm way faster and can coast around them with ease and smaller if they're almost as fast as me.
    - I just use scroll in and out with my mouse's middle key, can be done very quickly.

Also try not to use keep at range to head away from people - better for you to learn how to do it manually so when you're in a tricky situation e.g. surrounded by enemies, you know the best direction to burn in to get away. Ideally this will bring you towards a celestial, but it's not vital as long as you have enough tank to burn away and then readjust once clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Suleiman Shouaa View Post
    - I just use scroll in and out with my mouse's middle key, can be done very quickly.
    You can hold both mouse buttons and move it vertically, it is fastest way I think.

(Assuming you are looking at your ship, not using "look at" that Talos raping you.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calmdown
    You should try EvE, I heard it's good.

Great tips, guys. Much appreciated!

Except the other half of the equation is engageability. It's absurdly trivial to undock in something that the opponents won't engage because they stand no chance of making an even ISK trade.
    Hiding your Falcons is what separates good Recon pilots from bad ones.

Hiding your Falcons is what separates good Recon pilots from bad ones.

HEY LOOK AT ME I HAVE A TITAN LordsServant's Avatar
    What is the fastest way for a Gallente dummy to become a Grand Master of LeKite? I've come to the conclusion that Talos is the missing link from Gal line-up, is fast, has range. Problem is, I've never flown anything remotely like this fine vessel. This terribleness resulted in a rather embarassing loss to a Thorax and sentry guns... \o/

So besides the obvious practice, practice and practice (I play with sleepers when corpies are not around in their fag Tengus), what solid tips you could give to make me a better kiter? Pro camera tricks, range control, common maneuvers etc?
    Did you lose it to an abyssal heavy industries thorax? Iirc right after I lost my talos in 0.0 to a scramvaga(lol yes, this dude had a scram on his vaga) and a falcon + others, someone linked another talos they raped in losec with their thorax. Iirc it had a medium shield extender on it

I am a Lamborghini tractor.

Quote Originally Posted by LordsServant View Post
    Did you lose it to an abyssal heavy industries thorax? Iirc right after I lost my talos in 0.0 to a scramvaga(lol yes, this dude had a scram on his vaga) and a falcon + others, someone linked another talos they raped in losec with their thorax. Iirc it had a medium shield extender on it
    DDD

It appears that I indeed had an MSE there. Don't ask, no idea why, but makes that loss even cooler doesn't it.

Anyway I would have lost it even with 4 XXXLSEs, I did nice damage w/Null well outside his range and should have stayed there, but when I tried to hold point on him I ventured too close, and he scrammed me. Got pwnd by gate guns. Hence my questions, it was a rookie manual piloting error.

Is there a good recipe for breaking faster/more agile ships' orbits? I cant think of anything specific right now, I only recall having problems. If the other pilot is being bad (lazy) and is using the Orbit command (and not flying manually) there should be a way*, right?

*Obviously not 'Hit Approach and pray'
    <Devec> hello captain Tyrehl
    <Devec> sailor of the persian seas
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox
    I swear you are some sort of biological weapon developed in the early '90's for the Yugoslav wars but they lost track of you at some point and now you're waging a psychological war on Western Europe without a clue what you're doing.