hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: [TMA] How to fly solo

Podla drakes seem to be good practicing for me but i still fail alot but seem to be getting better.

Spank's posted a nice little collection of guides on eve-o, linking things from the new eve-is-easy Hydra vids to much older texts.

podla drake isn't all that great solo imo, is best with a wingman. yeah i know nearly every ship is 'better' with more people, but the podla setup specifically looks like a 2-4 man gang setup to me. perhaps someone from the design commitee in PODLA (:P) could comment on that.

if i was to add anything re: soloing it'd be:

1. Always have part of your mind on how you're getting out. The longer you stay in a fight the closer the probability of things going to shit approaches 100%, having to come up with an escape plan once 2 rapiers and a falcon uncloak is a bad time to do things.

2. Be prepared to switch targets. Yeah you might have that drake to 15% shields, but fuck that guy if a rapier just strayed within scram range.

3. Try and have some idea of the local landscape. can make a big difference knowing whether the additions to local are blue to the guy you've got tackled or not. If you're new to the area, assume everyone is best mates with everyone else except you.

4. Falcons have a limited range, and aren't fast. They're not the end of a fight and are frequently a good way of making targets act cock/retardedly. stick around a bit.

5. Fly catalysts more, they're fucking amazing.

6. EvE pvp isn't really about player skill, it's about player knowledge. The more you know about what each ship is capable of the better you do. Keep an ear to the ground for the latest FOTM, cookie cutter etc. i dunno if others agree, but it's decision making that wins fights more than reflexes or fancy hotkeys/overview settings w/e. The more you know the better your decisions are. I personally have never flown a laser boat other than a navy slicer, but i sure as shit know the rough expected range, dps, tracking, cap stability, speed, etc of any amarr gunboat i'm likely to come across.
    Last edited by Shiodome; March 22 2012 at 03:16:23 AM.

HEY LOOK AT ME I HAVE A TITAN LordsServant's Avatar
    You p. much nailed it on the head. #6 is the most important imo. 99% of the fights I allow myself into, my knowledge of the enemies/their shipsetups makes the fight. I'd say the most important part of this is learn different ship speeds and pay attention to how hard things hit you/with what weapon.

Is that hurricane 1600mm fit with dual webs, or is it shield kiting fit? If you pay attention to how fast things move and how hard they hit you, you will know this. I generally try to avoid committing to most engagements unless I know exactly how the opposition is fit, and by extension, how best to counter them with my piloting/ship.

Also, while catalysts are v. nice, I prefer thrashers - fulfill similar roles with a wee bit more ehp(altho u can't get 600 dps thrasher)

I am a Lamborghini tractor.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiodome View Post
    podla drake isn't all that great solo imo, is best with a wingman. yeah i know nearly every ship is 'better' with more people, but the podla setup specifically looks like a 2-4 man gang setup to me. perhaps someone from the design commitee in PODLA (:P) could comment on that.
    This is mostly correct, it shines best in very small gang work, but it also works nicely in solo lowsec and 0.0, mainly for killing hacs, recons, frigs and other stuff that it can chew through quickly. Other battlecruisers and battleships with big buffer tanks are not ideal targets in a 1vmany with a podla drake because of it's relatively low DPS

Edit. no.6 is also extremely important, as you said. Situational awareness and an encyclopedic knowledge of the capabilities of every ship give you the best start point when a fight starts, and allow you to react to changing conditions
    My latest PVP video: Freestyle III

I am the 99.99998% Tyrus Tenebros's Avatar
    in my experience the EHP of the PODLA drake is just low enough that you need the dps from 2-4 of them (depending on what you engage) to get the most out of the fit.
    I tried to be cool and all I got was a lousy warning about my sig being too big.

it's excellent solo. if i were to make up shit that sounds right i'd say it is the second best solo ship for isk to battle ratio next to the shield talos. it was better solo before tier 3s, but that's true of just about everything (ofc, hunting tier 3s with small shit is fun solo, but will give you far fewer engagements.)

everything is better with 2-4 of them, PODLA drake is no exception.

personally, i like flying a bit twitchier ships when solo atm though. but still fly the drake a lot for when, inevitably, everyone else is in tier 3s cause they always have them around cause they fly them solo. and i guess that's the role the drake used to fill. we all fly/flew the PODLA drake mainly because it is/was so good solo. that may be why it is a bit irritating to hear late adopters complaining about how it isn't a good solo ship and they only like it in small gangs. copy the fit! great! naxias came up with it and it's a pretty cool legacy for a cool guy. but it's a bit sad to see that people aren't also copying the bravado that made the ship famous in the first place.

PODLA drake is great for catching cocky cynabals that are dumb enough to come into overheated web range.

My biggest issue with the "podla drake" and all leet soloing in general is that it really relies on being chased. I once sat in a belt 50km from a podla member in a podla drake for a good two minutes with nothing happening. I finally approached a bit and he shot me so I turned around and then more nothing happened till I warped a small squad on him and he left system.
    spaceships go woosh

Quote Originally Posted by z0de View Post
    My biggest issue with the "podla drake" and all leet soloing in general is that it really relies on being chased. I once sat in a belt 50km from a podla member in a podla drake for a good two minutes with nothing happening. I finally approached a bit and he shot me so I turned around and then more nothing happened till I warped a small squad on him and he left system.
    i don't even

ROFLOL

but yeah, most nanostuff is about getting into favorable tactical positions, and being chased is one of them. Its at the point that now I don't think light tackle as "tackle", but as "bait so nanodudes engage".

Not to mention nano missile boats rely on being chased. If one drake is chasing another drake, the one being chased is doing more dps

Quote Originally Posted by Sudden View Post
    Not to mention nano missile boats rely on being chased. If one drake is chasing another drake, the one being chased is doing more dps
    someone's been keeping up on their eve-is-easy's. still, you are wrong in 9/10 situations.

nano doesn't rely on being chased. it relies on managing what hard tackle you are effected by and when you are effected by it. and other stuff too. basically, you are oversimplifying ... a lot.

Smuggo
    All having one drake chase the other does it reduce the effective range of one while increasing the range of the other. So if he chases you at the edge of your max range then he won't hit you and you will hit him. However, if you're close enough that his missiles can still hit you then dps is the same. It only increases if you are approaching him, and does so equally for both parties.

I am the 99.99998% Tyrus Tenebros's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    All having one drake chase the other does it reduce the effective range of one while increasing the range of the other. So if he chases you at the edge of your max range then he won't hit you and you will hit him. However, if you're close enough that his missiles can still hit you then dps is the same. It only increases if you are approaching him, and does so equally for both parties.
    This.

also

So your main problem with solo flying is that the drake didn't engage when he felt he had unfavorable odds and thus escaped your attempt at a gank instead of dying to it?

I'm not really sure if you're trolling, bad at explaining, retarded, or a combination of the last 2.
    I tried to be cool and all I got was a lousy warning about my sig being too big.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrus Tenebros View Post
    So your main problem with solo flying is that the drake didn't engage when he felt he had unfavorable odds and thus escaped your attempt at a gank instead of dying to it?

I'm not really sure if you're trolling, bad at explaining, retarded, or a combination of the last 2.
    Did I hit a sore spot? I love soloing, I was merely telling the truth. In that one case I was well up for a fight but the only way it would happen was if I slow boated 50k+ over to him taking damage so when I got in to point range I would already be half my hp down. I only called in the batphone to make it clear he wasn't getting any derp kills and can move on. Don't get me wrong, I like podla and flew with them a little back when they first started forming up but 90% of the tactics work because people are hungry and rush in.
    Last edited by z0de; April 10 2012 at 01:03:51 PM.
    spaceships go woosh

yeah it's called splitting a gang because they get too confident with 50 duders on the overview.

this is a very common tactic that anyone who solos does. you should publish a blog based on your findings from flying with podla.

A tacit I'm well aware of but when doing it requires altering the ship so much that it can't partake in a more regular fight e.g. not just pecking at tackle ships, it puts me off. I also dislike blogs, they tend to reek of "look at meee, be my friend" posts.
    spaceships go woosh

A tacit I'm well aware of but when doing it requires altering the ship so much that it can't partake in a more regular fight e.g. not just pecking at tackle ships, it puts me off. I also dislike blogs, they tend to reek of "look at meee, be my friend" posts.
    the ship is tailored to killing tackle because you can't fight a 20 man bc gang by yourself in anything. you may be able to do it in an 100mn ab linked crystal tengu but w/e.

also if a regular fight isn't just "pecking at tackle ships" try a deimos or something for solo

I love soloing ... I was well up for a fight but the only way it would happen was if I slow boated 50k+ over to him
    altering the ship so much that it can't partake in a more regular fight
    Implying that "regular fights" involve brick-tanked ships without prop mods?
    Quote Originally Posted by joe space View Post
    burning straight up when surrounded by bad guys... when you explode you will be a rising beautiful testament to el33t pvp escaping into the ether above those beneath you and they will immediately realize, upon viewing your bold presence above them, their inferiority and they will feel bad for what they done.
    EVE: Raz Lictor
    WoT: ArmoredPie