hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 49 of 62 FirstFirst ... 394647484950515259 ... LastLast

Thread: Battletech

Ace pilots combined with jumpjetting heavies/mediums is a far more lethal force than slogging about with assaults with bulwark and breaching shot.
    Don't need breaching shot when you can core anything in the game in one volley from the back (say hi to grasshopper).
    Jumpjetting max distance also give you 6 evasion pips and if you need to be tanky, just use sentinel or entrench for that round and voila, you're also tankier than an assault trying to grow roots into the bedrock.
    Alternatively just have the first skill in the pilot tree then get juggernaut in the guts tree to punch equal initiative pests down one tier.

Thing is though, you can make just about any mech and weapontype viable in this game if you set up your pilots and tactics accordingly.

Juggernaught is unbelievably bad, you're already pushing them down the initative chain by knocking them over and punching means bulwark no longer applies.

also, y'all want this
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    Juggernaught is unbelievably bad, you're already pushing them down the initative chain by knocking them over and punching means bulwark no longer applies.
    Fair enough, sometimes it is handy to knock them two initative rolls down, but it is fairly situational.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoggbert View Post
    Fair enough, sometimes it is handy to knock them two initative rolls down, but it is fairly situational.
    it also becomes increasingly less useful as you meet heavier and heavier foes, it basically does nothing on assault mechs.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

it also becomes increasingly less useful as you meet heavier and heavier foes, it basically does nothing on assault mechs.
    Yep, gave this to Behemoth. Used 0 times.
    It has no effect on assaults and nor does assaults ever get into range of something punchable.

Getting into close combat with a assault has no tactical advantages.

Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    It has no effect on assaults and nor does assaults ever get into range of something punchable.
    Which is why heavies with jumpjets can and do make use of that skill, i also met a rather large amount of assaults with +1 initiative near endgame. Still situational, but if you think breaching shot and bulwark is the only way to go you are mistaken.

Master Tactician looks a great deal more useful tbh, i you're only ever going to use juggernaut in Grasshoppers in the end game, and there are so many more useful things to stuff into that lance slot.
    Viking, n.:

Master Tactician looks a great deal more useful tbh, i you're only ever going to use juggernaut in Grasshoppers in the end game, and there are so many more useful things to stuff into that lance slot.
    Yes, but then you get the rather useless sensor lock instead of having bulwark and juggernaut. Some times it is quite useful to sit still for one turn and bulwark it up (i.e when you're on a hot planet and another leap+fire will cook you off).
    Sensor lock does next to nothing for a JJ brawly lance.
    Master tactician is useful, but having two ace pilots in medium mechs (55 tonners since they have the best mobility and firepower) and two evasive juggernaut pilots in heavies (preferably grasshoppers or thunderbolt 5ss) clears just about any mission i've had with ease.

Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    Which is why heavies with jumpjets can and do make use of that skill, i also met a rather large amount of assaults with +1 initiative near endgame. Still situational, but if you think breaching shot and bulwark is the only way to go you are mistaken.
    A Heavy pilot is likely to become an Assault pilot.
    Multi Shot & Bulward is must have skills.
    Evasion on a Pilot with Bulward, heading into a slower mech? Skills contradict each other.
    Sensor Locking on a Heavy/Assault pilot? Very rare and situational use.
    Then you are left with Juggernaugt or Breaching Shot.

I've tried all these combos, added little to no value.

I will reiterate however that there are no “must have” skills, since the game is easy to beat with all sorts of stuff once you get used to it.
    Some are obviously much stronger than others of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post
    I will reiterate however that there are no “must have” skills, since the game is easy to beat with all sorts of stuff once you get used to it.
    Yep, this is the beauty of this game, you can make anything work mechwise and pilotwise as long as you adopt your tactics and kit/pilots accordingly.

My last campaign was very heavy on the jumpjets and if anything it felt cheesier than the bulwark massed assaults i did in my first playthrough.
    Undecided what "theme" to do next.

Yep, this is the beauty of this game, you can make anything work mechwise and pilotwise as long as you adopt your tactics and kit/pilots accordingly.

My last campaign was very heavy on the jumpjets and if anything it felt cheesier than the bulwark massed assaults i did in my first playthrough.
    Undecided what "theme" to do next.
    all locusts, all the time.
    Viking, n.:

One guy has completed it with all lights, so it’s possible that way.

Though granted they weren’t Locusts....

One guy has completed it with all lights, so it’s possible that way.

Though granted they weren’t Locusts....
    I mean he also abused the high moral bug which turns the game from pretty easy to a cakewalk

I wish there was more reason to use them

I think the campaign is too generous in giving you 3 mediums right off the bat.

The backwater mercenary feel would have a better narrative if you were bringing mostly commandos and spiders, with a token med.

Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post

The backwater mercenary feel would have a better narrative if you were bringing mostly commandos and spiders, with a token med.
    you can trivially change it m8.
    Viking, n.:

Turns out heat exchanges are pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post

you can trivially change it m8.
    Yup...changed my default to 2 commandos, a Spider and the family Blackjack. It definitely feels a bit rougher early on.

4 Assaults on their back contemplating life choices

Spoiler:

All these bads still claiming how sensor lock is useless. Oh boy.