hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 83 of 89 FirstFirst ... 337380818283848586 ... LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,660 of 1766

Thread: Do we have a [what are you playing now] thread?

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steckersaurus View Post
    I guess I'll have to install Elite: Dangerous again then. Haven't touched that game in years.
    I play it with a stick and throttle and sometimes a VR headset on at the same time, MUCH more immersive than the default keyboard+mouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    I guess I'll have to install Elite: Dangerous again then. Haven't touched that game in years.
    I play it with a stick and throttle and sometimes a VR headset on at the same time, MUCH more immersive than the default keyboard+mouse.
    Don't have a headset yet, but if I do end up staying home for more than 2-3 weeks, that might have to change. Just hard to decide what to get. The technology keeps improving, which makes me want to wait for the next big leap forward, but if I end up waiting for years rather than getting an affordable(ish) VR headset now, I'll feel like an idiot. So... I dunno. Which model do you use?
    Quarantined and loving life.

Yeah, what VR headset should one get now?
    And what is the affordable option?
    nevar forget

Which model do you use?
    The least affordable option: Valve Index.

It depends heavily on the games you want to play which one is best for you. For Beat Saber (which is one of the best VR games out there AFAIK) graphical fidelity barely matters, all you need is excellent controller tracking, and a higher Hz screen is a nice-to-have. For Elite: Dangerous you want a high resolution so you can read the HUD. LCD is better for readability than OLED, but OLED has nicer blacks in space. The perfect VR headset for every situation doesn't exist and won't exist in the foreseeable future, it's all trade-offs.

Determine your IPD (distance between your eyes). Unscientific method is to just look in the mirror with a ruler just beneath your pupils. Are you close to the average of 63mm? Congratulations, you'll do fine with a headset that doesn't have hardware adjustable IPD, such as the Oculus Quest (which is a budget option worth looking into). Is your IPD something like 4mm or more larger or smaller than the average? You'll need to buy a headset with hardware adjustable IPD, or else you'll never be able to get a clear image in both eyes at the same time, leading to headaches and lack of immersion.

Note that you also need a very good GPU, I have a 2070 Super which is adequate for the Index but even more would be better. I can't run Elite: Dangerous above 90 Hz for example, even though I've put the graphics on lowish settings. Beat Saber gets 144 Hz no problem though.

This is the very short version of choosing your VR headset, you'll need to do some research or try a couple out at a friends house or VR cafes (good luck during lockdown) to find something that's right for you.

hmm. My local microcenter has one of the HTC Vive Pros, and I think they have a display set up for you to try them out, but if I went and stuck my face in something in public, my wife would have a stroke and my mother would get medieval on my immunocompromised ass. So trying something on in person probably isn't going to work right now

Do the index screens go up to 144hz? I was under the impression that most headsets topped out at 90, but I haven't looked that closely lately. the Index page on steam doesn't mention framerate (and it says that it'll take 8 weeks to ship, damn).

hmm. My local microcenter has one of the HTC Vive Pros, and I think they have a display set up for you to try them out, but if I went and stuck my face in something in public, my wife would have a stroke and my mother would get medieval on my immunocompromised ass. So trying something on in person probably isn't going to work right now

Do the index screens go up to 144hz? I was under the impression that most headsets topped out at 90, but I haven't looked that closely lately. the Index page on steam doesn't mention framerate (and it says that it'll take 8 weeks to ship, damn).
    Yeah Index availability has been very sparse since December when Half-Life: Alyx was announced (which is fucking fantastic BTW). Index goes to 120 Hz officially and can be "overclocked" to 144 Hz, but it's just one click away like all the other frequencies.

HTC Vive Pro is p nice too but similarly priced to the Index and it's not as good IMHO. So only buy that one if the price is right.

WMR sets are by far the most affordable and they're fine, just annoying due to having to install multiple bits of software. Tracking being bad is severely overstated, as long as your expectations are in order with the price.

Otherwise if affordable is not the goal I'd completely agree with the above, go high or don't bother. Middle of the road is just going to make you either go "meh it was too expensive" or "oh i could have just saved a little bit more..."

https://www8.hp.com/us/en/vr/reverb-vr-headset.html

Yup it ventilates through the front. The best headset on the market atm just because your face won't sweat and you won't get pimples like going through second puberty after you use it for more than one hour.

Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post

Yup it ventilates through the front. The best headset on the market atm just because your face won't sweat and you won't get pimples like going through second puberty after you use it for more than one hour.
    Except that the headphones are still on-ear so your ears and thus your head will still get plenty warm. Index has off-ear mini-speakers so you can still hear people talking to you and won't have sweaty ears. I've played for hours without having a sweaty face too. But yeah Reverb is nice for the high resolution, and as such NEEDS an excellent GPU for gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post

Except that the headphones are still on-ear so your ears and thus your head will still get plenty warm. Index has off-ear mini-speakers so you can still hear people talking to you and won't have sweaty ears. I've played for hours without having a sweaty face too. But yeah Reverb is nice for the high resolution, and as such NEEDS an excellent GPU for gaming.
    What kind of awful headphones do you people have for them to be that sweaty and uncomfortable jesus :P

i do like that HP thing tho, looks interesting

welp, the HOTAS is now languishing under the desk again while I've blown 40 hours in Avorion over the 3ish days that I've owned it. Game is pretty awesome. Curious to see what the multiplayer is like at some point.

welp, the HOTAS is now languishing under the desk again while I've blown 40 hours in Avorion over the 3ish days that I've owned it. Game is pretty awesome. Curious to see what the multiplayer is like at some point.
    I saw you playing and gave it a go... I'm not convinced yet.

Also real HOTAS users keep theirs safely tucked away in the cupboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Equium Duo View Post
    I saw you playing and gave it a go... I'm not convinced yet.
    I can definitely point to it being the kind of thing that I spend hours and hours playing without really being sure that it's actually good or that I'm actually fun... but it's 4am, where did the time go?

Then again, I used to run missions in EVE, so...

The ship designing is pretty fun once you get into it. And there's definitely a difficulty curve. I got greedy pushing toward the core to get better materials and suddenly the pirates are kicking my ass and forcing me to hit and run while their fleet chases me down.

Unfortunately the combat is... well, it's a sandbox game, which means balance is going to be tough. The solution to tougher enemies is to keep building your ship bigger and badder until you can beat them. Early on, my ship was small and nimble enough to actually dodge a lot of incoming fire while picking off engines to cripple targets, so there was some fun skill to it. Once hitscan weapons show up, dodging is no longer an option, gotta get tougher, so now my ship is too big to dodge anything even if I wanted to, which leaves range control and raw tankyness as my only options for surviving fights. Raw tank lets me charge in and brawl with 2-3 enemies, but against larger fleets I have to fly 20km away, pick off the softest target as they catch up, fly away again as my shields start to drop.

I haven't experimented with building fleets or using carriers in combat, but those are probably my next steps to level the playing field (besides just getting bigger and badder). I did build a mining ship (later converted to mining carrier) that I have perpetually off gathering resources for me, so I don't have to waste time mining and can instead run around killing pirates and then flying away with my ass on fire.

Is it worth getting Elite Dangerous on a PS4?

Not enough RIP AND TEAR and HUGE GUTS in this thread
    Real men pvp in barges.

Quote Originally Posted by Amantus View Post
    good to see that Fortior seems like a decent bloke and isn't a gay fat faggot nerd despite his pony avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post
    Nothing is ever worth getting on PS4 if it's also on PC. Are you clinically retarded, meight?

Noo, it will soon going to be abandoned with next update cycle. They will support next generation with it and you'll be stuck with Horizons. Also I've been told it crashes and plays like shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Janeway84 View Post
    Saw a post on the command and conquer reddit that the c & c remaster was available for preorders at www.commandandconquer.com and it contains both cnc 1 and red alert 1 + expansions, 4k monitor support, upgraded music quality and classic fmw footage from both pc and ps 1 versions and map editor and elo matchmaking..
    Also for the base package can choose either steam or origin code to activate with.
    What a time to be alive in..
    The 90s hype train is in full swing!

17 to play a game older than some dinosaurs. It's EA so I'll torrent it

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Nothing is ever worth getting on PS4 if it's also on PC. Are you clinically retarded, meight?
    I don't have a gaming pc

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    I don't have a gaming pc
    "Yes" is easier to type.