hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 96 of 99 FirstFirst ... 468693949596979899 LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,920 of 1963

Thread: Do we have a [what are you playing now] thread?

I don't know about Star Citizen (bought into it but didn't ran it much), but Elite Dangerous is the first game ever where you can't experience all the content present in it. It is a humbling experience if you're going for exploration and (before actual aliens were added) a good idea about what to expect regarding space exploration - it's big, it's mostly boring and it's really really really big. X4 isn't a space simulation per-se but more like EvE Offline type of thing. Flight models are a thing, modelling of inertia and what not - we all know EvE has always been more like submarines in space type of thing.

If you want to experience what I mean - play ED or Star Citizen and turn off the pilot assists that keep the ship level during maneuvering and what not. You need to counter any action by an identical reaction only to stay level, in ED at least I love temporarily doing this whilst dog fighting to allow for tighter turns and more random movements then reactivating them to stabilize and get more precision in actually shooting the right things. ED and SC are more about the way the ship feels and controls, X games are more about playing the economy game with less actual piloting.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    I don't know about Star Citizen (bought into it but didn't ran it much), but Elite Dangerous is the first game ever where you can't experience all the content present in it. It is a humbling experience if you're going for exploration and (before actual aliens were added) a good idea about what to expect regarding space exploration - it's big, it's mostly boring and it's really really really big. X4 isn't a space simulation per-se but more like EvE Offline type of thing. Flight models are a thing, modelling of inertia and what not - we all know EvE has always been more like submarines in space type of thing.

If you want to experience what I mean - play ED or Star Citizen and turn off the pilot assists that keep the ship level during maneuvering and what not. You need to counter any action by an identical reaction only to stay level, in ED at least I love temporarily doing this whilst dog fighting to allow for tighter turns and more random movements then reactivating them to stabilize and get more precision in actually shooting the right things. ED and SC are more about the way the ship feels and controls, X games are more about playing the economy game with less actual piloting.
    I've spent a bit of time in ED so I know the flight model is great, sure. But like I said, there is no actual gameplay in there. Just a fancy tech demo. And people keep waiting for something to revive/rival the old elite & freelancer games, whle there are games like X4 out there that people like me manage to miss completely as they don't get the same hype at all.
    that was my point

If by "content" you mean a shallow mishmash of pointless mechanics sure.

The game looks fantastic and flies fantastic, exploration (as far as seeing pretty randomly generated places goes) is wonderful, but the actual gameplay mechanics and design in it are awful.

X:Rebirth was terrible & X4's launch wasn't much better. That's why it wasn't hyped.

That is also true.

I played X2/3 ages ago, and just couldnt get over how shit the interface was with 30 hotkeys navigating menus 4 layers deep. Think i played through the story, set up some simple/obvious trades, but the open world just didnt really offer anything interesting excpet "hoard money for big ship".

Did the user experience at least improve?

Marginally, but interface design is not their strong point. At least you can use a mouse now. X2 and X3 secured a dedicated fan base and a strong modding community. The hype for Rebirth was as real as the disappointment when it failed to build on the successes of the past and instead delivered a train wreck of random, half-baked and buggy game mechanics. Sadly X4 simply reinforced the failures, adding yet more pointless mechanics which quickly become a chore and get modded out.

On the plus side, recent patches and DLC have added end game fleet management (finally!) and there are mods to remove the highways, so space feels big again, and balance the economy & war rules so single factions don't snowball. In that respect it's like the previous X games - they start to get good about 4 years after release.

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post

If by "content" you mean a shallow mishmash of pointless mechanics sure.

The game looks fantastic and flies fantastic, exploration (as far as seeing pretty randomly generated places goes) is wonderful, but the actual gameplay mechanics and design in it are awful.
    That's simply because people equate space games with pew pew lazors or a cutthroat economy game or piracy or whatevs. Personally (and there are a lot of people like me) I like to boot up ED, crack open a cold drink - or make a hot beverage - and just blast through systems whilst slowly crawling around the Milky Way. I have no interest in combat or awiens, I just want to be alone amongst the stars. And ED is great at conveying that feeling of being a puny grain of stardust amongst the infinity of the stars

Yeah I got guns on the ship and have played the combat side of it and that's cool too with diverting power around the subsystems and managing shields and what not and the feeling of making it into a station with a broken canopy and just enough oxygen to dock up is butt clenching. I just feel it's a great game for what it is and people claiming it's "shallow" should just go away with the gaming police
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by friznit View Post
    Marginally, but interface design is not their strong point. At least you can use a mouse now. X2 and X3 secured a dedicated fan base and a strong modding community. The hype for Rebirth was as real as the disappointment when it failed to build on the successes of the past and instead delivered a train wreck of random, half-baked and buggy game mechanics. Sadly X4 simply reinforced the failures, adding yet more pointless mechanics which quickly become a chore and get modded out.

On the plus side, recent patches and DLC have added end game fleet management (finally!) and there are mods to remove the highways, so space feels big again, and balance the economy & war rules so single factions don't snowball. In that respect it's like the previous X games - they start to get good about 4 years after release.
    yea there are quite a few realy annoying issues still in the game.
    like last night for example. I was moving my small fleet of two destroyers, a combat fited miner, some frigs and smalls and a XL Auxiliary ship full of dockingbays and turrets. (They call it a resuply ship but to me it's now a carrier!)

I travel through Teladi space whom I've got great standing with. A handfull of small Split ships show up and decide they can take on my fleet. (-30 to split. We had a dissagrement in the start of the game when they left me to die in space without a ship)
    Obviously they don't stand a chanse and my fleet rips them apart. But then I get the sector police on me and take a standings hit with Teladi! What the hell? They attacked me! What am i supposed to do? Sit there and die?
    I reloaded a quicksave to see if I could just slip past them thinkng maybe one of my ships shot first for some reason. Drove just a destroyer with unarmed turrets.
    Nope. They go straight for me. I try to ignore them and they take out my engines and start taking out my turres. Teladi do nothing. I arm my turrets and sure enough. "Siece your attacks imediately! We can not accept this agression!"

It is realy frustrating that there are bugs/bad designs like these in there, cause when the game works, it is an awesome game.
    Last edited by Ashaz; January 13 2021 at 01:54:09 PM.

Bt then when it works...

One thing I find realy amusing is how the enemy kind of ignores you for the most part if you're in a civilian/industrial ship.
    I've got a small fleet of combat fitted mining barges. I can sneak up on unsuspecting enemy ships that think they are safe alone behind the frontlines. Take out their engines real quick, deploy a swarm of small fighters that the big turrets cant track, take out all the turrets and shields, board and wait for the marines to radio in their progress.

Awesome game!
    Last edited by Ashaz; January 14 2021 at 01:45:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashaz View Post
    X4 foundations. I don't get it. Star Citicen isn't even anywhere close to a game yet. Elite Dangerous suffers from the same problem, yet those games are all the hype in space simulation.

And then this game exists.

Got it little more than a week ago. I'm at 96 hours played <_<
    2nd dlc coming soon.
    Eagerly awaiting the 2nd DLC. i gave it a whirl upon 2.0, was still very choppy, but considering it's Egosoft it's them just releasing games every 5 years and not understanding that they should almost always of done EA.

Has anyone else played Control ?
    My purchase from last year seems to have been upgraded to "ULTIMATE EDIDITION" whatever that is, and i've jsut started my first play through.
    What an incredibly strange experience. I wonder what's going on?
    It seems amazing so far though. looks great, plays great, ++ Would reccomend the first hour
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

"Ultimate Edition" means it includes the two expansions that have been released (which are minor in size). I enjoyed the game all the way through, although it does start to drag a little bit at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    Has anyone else played Control ?
    My purchase from last year seems to have been upgraded to "ULTIMATE EDIDITION" whatever that is, and i've jsut started my first play through.
    What an incredibly strange experience. I wonder what's going on?
    It seems amazing so far though. looks great, plays great, ++ Would reccomend the first hour
    Absolutely adore the game, its weird af and proud of it.

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    F1 2020
    Div 2 (new endless tower thing)
    Dead by daylight (only play killer because fuck other people)
    Also new cod, and lots of it

Butthole
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    anything soviet is of evil

After a brief bit of Avorion, I'm back to Deep Rock Galactic. Even got a couple of friends to play. Sadly, I'm working second shift atm which means I'm limited to guiding the newbs on weekends.
    Quarantined and loving life.

Quote Originally Posted by Steckersaurus View Post
    After a brief bit of Avorion, I'm back to Deep Rock Galactic. Even got a couple of friends to play. Sadly, I'm working second shift atm which means I'm limited to guiding the newbs on weekends.
    Avorion is one of those games that I want to like, but I never realygot into it. Couldn't figure out what to do

Avorion is one of those games that I want to like, but I never realygot into it. Couldn't figure out what to do
    Yeah, I had to read the wiki a bit to figure out how I was supposed to progress. The tutorial is... ok for getting you started, but pretty lacking. Starter guides help.
    Quarantined and loving life.

Yeah, I had to read the wiki a bit to figure out how I was supposed to progress. The tutorial is... ok for getting you started, but pretty lacking. Starter guides help.
    it was a long time since I last played. is there more to the tutourial than "Build a basic miner. Fly through a gate. ok now go."

Last time I gave it a go, it was basically build ship, grind to next area for higher grade ore/metal, build better ship, repeat.