hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Horizon Zero Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    Rumours abound it runs better on AMD than Intel because THREADS!
    Steam Tears Inbound.
    A taste of things to come once new generation of consoles hits.

Ready to play - lets do this.
    edit: 45 minutes of "optimizing the game experience to your PC" later.....
    Last edited by Itiken; August 7 2020 at 03:27:37 PM.
    technology canít solve economic and political problems

Shader optimisation took about 10mins here - seems to be extremely hardware-sensitive. And now I have to wait until Tuesday before I can play. Boo.

Shaders took me about 5 minutes, and it runs like a dream, but its also got audio skipping a 1/4 second every 5 minutes or so, which is not so good.
    Also, controller intended movement, hold w, and wander off 5 degrees to the side, because fuck you.

That's really weird - no sign of wnder here. graphics are crisp and clean albeit 30-45fps. I'm a last-gen hero even with my new R5 3600 so that's literally fine.
    I'll check some more tho.

otherwise welp - great game. looks amazing, has tight af sound design. and the protagonist has great hair. what's not to like.
    Oh wait. the boohoo boys are back being sad at a woman.

The sound jumping cured itself at the prooving. I'm not going to ask questions.

Apart from the walking off to the side thing, I have no remaining complaints at all, and enjoying it greatly.

Have clocked 17 hours into it so far, it runs like a dream @ 1440p Ultra settings (FPS is +50, some very minor stutters, but I'd expect nothing less), on my shitty 4th gen i7 (4771) with only 16Gigs of DDR3 1600MHz RAM and the newest addition, a 2060 Super. It's not even installed on my SSD, as I'm saving that space for FS2020.
    Game runs beautifully, looks fucking amazing, sounds awesome and plays REALLY well (Story is fucking top notch, but we knew that already).

Steam discussion board is a cesspool of haters and angry man-children, it would seem. Venture to those lands at your own risk (But I guess that's nothing new either )!

Banned
    I bought a PS4 a little over 18 months ago and had a pop at this after finishing RDR2. Played it for half an hour or so but couldn't quite get into it.

Might have another bash, either on the dusty console or steam (my PC is about 5 years old, guessing there won't be any huge issues).
    http://puu.sh/kTSQD/2e39d12cac.png
    http://i.imgur.com/AfHQMwR.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/sQRclby.png

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Is the PS4 only? No PC?
    Yup. Owned by Sony sadly so there's zero chance of a PC port.

In other news while the PC version is a shoddy port begging for some optimization and bug-fixing it does behave well once you've tinkered with it for a bit.

Here's some suggestions as to which settings work well:
    https://old.reddit.com/r/horizon/com...igitalfoundry/

Here's a way to fix various graphical issues (especially once you start forcing AF in your GPU drivers after you've already started the game up at least once):
    https://old.reddit.com/r/horizon/com...pic_filtering/

And here's a way to get the cutscenes to use your whole monitor if you're using an ultrawide:
    https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Ho...tra-widescreen

After seeing how incredibly well the PC port of Death Stranding was handled (which runs on the same engine) it's disappointing to see the state of this port. No DLSS, very poor controller support, 10 mins startup time at first start and every time your GPU drivers change, etc. That said I'm still very glad it exists, playing the game for the first time now.

Why is it that ever person calling the game "a terrible port" sounds like they are copy/pasting from the same metacritic review ?

It's fine, stop being soft.

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    Why is it that ever person calling the game "a terrible port" sounds like they are copy/pasting from the same metacritic review ?

It's fine, stop being soft.
    Because they're right. Especially when we have Death Stranding which runs on the same engine and invites easy to make comparison.

It's funny 'cos I've seen games which are "terrible ports" that are practically unplayable with unmapped control schemes, screen tearing and shite graphics, and I've played HZD which has none of these issues. Is it perfection on a stick with free blowjobs? No, even if it would you'd probably still find something to moan about. Maybe stop being melodramatic ?

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    It's terrible in comparison to Death Stranding which runs on the same engine and is super impressive as a port. I own and play both games so I'm only basing this on my own experience, I haven't even read any of the reviews.

Both scored pretty well on the reviews (DS PC = 87 on metacritic, HZD PC = 85). User reviews are less favourable on metacritic, but I'm inclined to believe there are a fair amount of muppets there. From what PCGamer writes though, it's rather varied in performance across different rigs. I'm certain it's something that they're able to iron out.

Fingers crossed they fix it for people struggling - which news I've read today suggests is happening.
    Rather than just walking away with your money - that would be poor!

Quote Originally Posted by dzajic View Post
    Awesome in general, crap for me. I expected this to remain another eternal Sony exclusive so I spoiled myself on youtube.

Won't have nearly same charm as discovering for first time.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Haha same, game is a very boring horse simulator if you already know the story. Gave up & deleted after an hour.

Banned Movember 2011Movember 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dzajic View Post
    Awesome in general, crap for me. I expected this to remain another eternal Sony exclusive so I spoiled myself on youtube.

Won't have nearly same charm as discovering for first time.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    I watched a playthrough on YouTube without ever seeing a trailer.
      Spoiler:
    So I was all "oh, this is a neat alien world...wait, was that a turkey...wait, that's human architecture...hold up, those are GPS coordinates for...Pike's Peak...WE'RE ON EARTH!? WTF HAPPENED?"

And I bawled my eyes out at the closing scene.
    Last edited by teds :D; August 15 2020 at 07:46:18 PM. Reason: added spoiler tags
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard (updated link)

cool, thanks for the spoiler i guess :S

Banned Movember 2011Movember 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiodome View Post
    cool, thanks for the spoiler i guess :S
    The tagline for the game is literally a spoiler. So I didn't ruin anything.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard (updated link)

Shit port? nothing new. Dark Souls series were horrible ports and we know what happens if you suggest they suck.