hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 55 12341151 ... LastLast

Thread: CCP leaked internal newsletter

CCP leaked internal newsletter

so yeah, this PDF surfaced. I took the liberty of ripping off the security for everyone's ease of consumption.

elaborate hoax? or just :ccp: beats me, but this is some COLD SHIT to read.

http://www.mediafire.com/?n8ohtufd1mtamgb

Re: alleged CCP leak

magazine article != leak...

Quote Originally Posted by Kate Yeats View Post
    It is called a difference of opinion and if you're going to get so shirty about it, you might want to cancel your connection to the internet.

I said this already:

I think it's a well written fake. It repeats things all available in the public domain from individuals at CCP. Like Soundwave's 'YES' to MT blurb which he spoke a bit about during the AT, and Hilmar's 'EVE is like golf' analogy (available on trebor's blog) to which EVE is compared.

Also, the PDF goes on about vanity stuff being intended to destructible and cheap, not indestructible and expensive.
    Although Seleene says it's a damn good fake if it is one.

Quote Originally Posted by Seleene
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike deVoid
    I think it's a well written fake.
    If it is then it's been faked internally, and that looks like a LOT of effort for a fake. 'Fearless' is the CCP internal newsletter. It's distributed both in paper and PDF format to the entire company. It started a couple years ago and comes out every few months. The tone of this one certainly fits the style I was used to seeing.

Edit - FYI, the paper versions are lying about all over the front office and cafateria area. Any number of random visitors could grab one and have a look. They have tours and other random folks in there all the time.

Well ripping off the security is good, someone did have trouble with it.

Economic and Microtransaction Summit held in Reykjavik, which focused on the viability of the virtual goods sales model in all our games.
    I had a hard time believing they could hold an event like this and yet not have anything on the entire internet about it. Not a press release, article in local press, brief on some other company's website, anything.

Status of Babby: 100% Formed

I don't personally think it's an elaborate hoax, but im not going to say it's not either, what little sources I have left seemed to indicate legit however.

grain of salt required, but when i read this and look at the nex store... yeah.. :/

Wow...

Was brought up in the incarna feedback thread. My personal holy shit quotes were:

Quote Originally Posted by lol, bait and switch
    I'll give you an example of something I think provides value to our customer, which I'd like to sell. Right now, you can store 50 personal fittings on our servers. That's more than enough for the average EVE player, but for a subset of our users, it's too small a number. Why not be able to add more storage space for a small amount of money? You'd even be able to upgrade it multiple times if you needed and permanently add this benefit to your character, making it even more valuable.
    Quote Originally Posted by retrospective hilarity
    It would be silly to buy sunglasses for my avatar and pay the same price that I would for a faction battleship. [ed: looooooooooooooool]
    Quote Originally Posted by we like shitting on player investment
    One other service we're looking at selling is faction standings. We want to offer convenience for a price.
    Quote Originally Posted by more coke plz
    We will not and cannot focus on virtual sales only within the Incarna environment, nor build that environment around such sales; rather, we will effect a universal strategy of micro-sales throughout the EVE experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by hahaha, we were lying through our teeth about 'vanity only'
    Not all virtual purchases will focus on customization: some will simply be new items, ammunition, ships, etc. that can be purchased outright.

Looks real to me. This next bit comes straight off of Page 5:

On the opposite end of the scale to vanity goods are performance* based items such as weapons. They are consumed through gameplay, making them a potentially powerful source of renewable income. Selling them for real money is very tempting. They are highly desired by the player audience and yield lower development costs, as variation can be achieved through numbers rather than unique art assets. Selling them though, is highly controversial. We are planning on doing so. I would be tempted to say it is because we are fearless, but the real reason is that we have strong evidence that selling performance enhancers, in moderation, works.
    Now that is supposed to be DUST-related. But if Dust is a failure, where will they turn next in the Eve Universe to gouge their players? Hmmmm.... Nope, can't think of where.

smuggo

If it's a fake it's a damn good effort. Will be interesting to see the shit storm this brews and how CCP deal with the fallout.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsubutai
    Quote Originally Posted by we like shitting on player investment
    One other service we're looking at selling is faction standings. We want to offer convenience for a price.
    That isn't good, but can you imagine if it was security status? Sweet Baby Cheeses.

Actually, wait: epic bug prediction - you could buy standings from Concord and they (CCP) wouldn't catch it before release.

I think it's real. The formatting looks identical to previous 'fearless' newsletters I've seen in the past. I do find it interesting that the personal info and table of contents seems to have been removed though.

Quote Originally Posted by CCP Hammer
    Any good pictures of Hammer we can throw up here?

I think it's real. The formatting looks identical to previous 'fearless' newsletters I've seen in the past. I do find it interesting that the personal info and table of contents seems to have been removed though.
    Hypothetically, someone could have taken a previous issue, kept the formatting, and changed the :words: ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

[quote=Xiang Jiao]
    Quote Originally Posted by "CCP Hammer":1hsfe9e7
    Any good pictures of Hammer we can throw up here?[/quote:1hsfe9e7]
    Easy,

Source

if this turns out to be real, I will be rather disappointed.

but at this point in time, with the going on like it is at the moment, I would not be all that surprised.

Our friend at massively has the full one it seems, but this leaked one has the only interesting bits in it.

Also, this bit makes me think it's an excellently-made troll:
    Broadly speaking, there are three main areas that virtual goods sales will focus on in the game: cosmetics, items of convenience (or “concierge services”), and items of power.
    Virt, Barth, are one of you responsible for this? Pretty sure these were one of your exact words.

Status of Babby: 100% Formed

Definitely fall into the camp of "leaning towards real" or, for that matter, "if it's a hoax it's realistic enough to be taken for real advice and thoughts anyway". Even if we view it as bad and scary, I can say from direct personal experience that this is exactly how a lot of marketers view things, and from a pure, cold-blooded business perspective the logic beyond a lot of it is painfully clear. I could absolutely see a lot of the stuff tossed out in that newsletter working, even if it destroyed EVE as we know it, where "working" means "generates CCP a bucketload of money".

It's a fine balance when an effort is made to actively use psychology to game an audience, so it may fail (and given this is CCP they're quite capable of taking something workable and blowing it, regardless of whether the idea is good or evil), but I don't see anything in there I haven't seen in business case studies, marketing summit notes, and so on before in other contexts. It's scary to me because it seems like one of the possible paths that could get realistically taken, although I personally think it's short sighted even from a business perspective given what EVE could do.

Then again, short sightedness in business dealings is hardly something new either :(.