hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 199

Thread: Ultrawide Wonderthread

  1. #161
    Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    12,852
    I have a 29-inch. Reading FHC in a maximized window is actually a chore, as I'm constantly moving my head back and forth.

    I believe I've been posting about my UW without mentioning which one I have. It's a LG 29WK600.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

  2. #162
    GeromeDoutrande's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Fakefrenchistan
    Posts
    3,764
    Quote Originally Posted by El Capitano View Post
    I have an LG 34GK950-F, it's plenty large enough, I'd be really hesitant to go larger.
    I think the size increase to 38" would not be too large for me. It extends roughly 10% taller/wider and I would like some extra height while retaining the overall aspect ratio.

    The price increase is steep though given that 10% extra height/width, some terrible local dimming and extra brightness raise the price by 300.

    I am also vaguely considering buying the LG screens from Amazon Germany, since they are significantly cheaper there (1050 for 38" and 680 (!) for the 34" LG).
    Last edited by GeromeDoutrande; August 8 2021 at 08:43:04 AM.

  3. #163
    Daneel Trevize's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    T L A
    Posts
    13,002
    Are you forgetting import fees/VAT?
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

  4. #164
    GeromeDoutrande's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Fakefrenchistan
    Posts
    3,764
    Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    Are you forgetting import fees/VAT?
    Amazon includes import duties and VAT "deposit" in the price with "global shipping" (only works when Amazon sells the item). It's not unusual for electronics to be significantly cheaper in Europe (and especially Germany).

    I'd be reluctant to actually buy a monitor this way primarily because I am not unlikely to want to return a monitor if it turns out to be bad in terms of backlight bleed or dead pixels, and because of potential warranty issues.

  5. #165

    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Posts
    3,055
    Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post
    I think the size increase to 38" would not be too large for me. It extends roughly 10% taller/wider and I would like some extra height while retaining the overall aspect ratio.

    The price increase is steep though given that 10% extra height/width, some terrible local dimming and extra brightness raise the price by 300.
    If you really think the extra size is worth it, go for it. However, given my experience of this type of panel, I would not at all assume the local dimming is worth it or will even produce a useable HDR image. I would seriously evaluate it as SDR only.

  6. #166
    GeromeDoutrande's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Fakefrenchistan
    Posts
    3,764
    The local dimming in those panels indeed looks like an absolute joke (my main concern is whether it can be disabled and I excluded a Dell screen because there it couldn't be). I certainly had higher hopes in terms of HDR quality on pc screens in general, but it looks largely worthless unless you go for 2000 monitors.

  7. #167
    Daneel Trevize's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    T L A
    Posts
    13,002
    There's a new Samsung Neo G9 that has much better zones for HDR, but beyond your stated budget atm?
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

  8. #168
    GeromeDoutrande's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Fakefrenchistan
    Posts
    3,764
    Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    There's a new Samsung Neo G9 that has much better zones for HDR, but beyond your stated budget atm?
    That is the 32:9 HDR1000 one, right? Don't have space for those models, plus price plus extra money for massive graphics card plus which games work with it etc. I think I'll probably decide to stick with a 34" 21:9 screen in the end.

  9. #169
    VARRAKK's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 27, 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    6,613
    I love the glorious madness that is the G9 Odyssey.
    While the HDR on it isn't as great as on the new Neo version, HDR in games are still an entire new level of eye candy.
    Still waiting on the arm for it, so I can move it around.

    10/10 screen. If you can afford it, buy it (also fit it).


    (Bought a Office License so I could see how much I could Excel with it. Columns A to CA).
    Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

  10. #170
    GeromeDoutrande's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Fakefrenchistan
    Posts
    3,764
    Clearly the "Odyssey" bit refers to the epic journey of the mouse cursor across the screen.

  11. #171
    Daneel Trevize's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    T L A
    Posts
    13,002
    A HERO sensor makes light work of such epic journeys... Seriously, it's <1cm wrist movement for edge to edge on dual 1440p screens with a high DPI mouse. And a DPI Shift button hold, or profile cycle click and you can be plenty precise.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

  12. #172
    GeromeDoutrande's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Fakefrenchistan
    Posts
    3,764
    Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    Seriously, it's <1cm wrist movement for edge to edge on dual 1440p screens with a high DPI mouse. And a DPI Shift button hold, or profile cycle click and you can be plenty precise.
    No epic tales to tell from that journey though

  13. #173

    Join Date
    May 31, 2011
    Posts
    5,988
    Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post
    So far I have come up with three (and a half) options at three price points:

    1200: LG 38GN950-B / LG 38WN95C-W
    900: LG 34GN850
    600: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B

    I am quite happy with this so far, now I just need to figure out how much money I really want to spend.
    I just looked up the LG 34GN850-B on Amazon.de. It's priced as 789.82 EUR = 669.18 GBP = 928.98 USD*). And yes, that includes VAT. I can't remember if Amazon charges shipping, if you order in another shop than your country's one though...

    *) Using Google's RoE

  14. #174
    GeromeDoutrande's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Fakefrenchistan
    Posts
    3,764
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post
    So far I have come up with three (and a half) options at three price points:

    1200: LG 38GN950-B / LG 38WN95C-W
    900: LG 34GN850
    600: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B

    I am quite happy with this so far, now I just need to figure out how much money I really want to spend.
    I just looked up the LG 34GN850-B on Amazon.de. It's priced as 789.82 EUR = 669.18 GBP = 928.98 USD*). And yes, that includes VAT. I can't remember if Amazon charges shipping, if you order in another shop than your country's one though...

    *) Using Google's RoE
    For reference, this is how this works:

    Amazon charges for international shipping, but rates are usually quite low (would be around 15 EUR for shipping a monitor to the UK, no discount for prime members). Amazon automatically recalculates VAT when buying from abroad (so displayed price on Amazon.de - 19% DE VAT + 20% UK VAT). Since monitors are above the GBP 135 low value item limit, import duties could in principle also apply, but the UK import duty rate for

    Monitors and projectors, not incorporating television reception apparatus; reception apparatus for television, whether or not incorporating radio-broadcast receivers or sound or video recording or reproducing apparatus, other monitors, capable of directly connecting to and designed for use with an automatic data processing machine of heading 8471 of a kind solely or principally used in an automatic data-processing system of heading 8471
    is 0.0%.

  15. #175
    GeromeDoutrande's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Fakefrenchistan
    Posts
    3,764
    A result! For my first attempt I'll order an LG 34GN850.

  16. #176
    rufuske's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    3,993
    Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    I love the glorious madness that is the G9 Odyssey.
    While the HDR on it isn't as great as on the new Neo version, HDR in games are still an entire new level of eye candy.
    Still waiting on the arm for it, so I can move it around.

    10/10 screen. If you can afford it, buy it (also fit it).


    (Bought a Office License so I could see how much I could Excel with it. Columns A to CA).
    G9s are in class of their own in terms of performance, size and price. I don't think it's something I could recommend easily because of the last two, general consensus pretty much seems to be Neo is currently holy grail of gaming monitors. But you're spending on panel what normal people spend on their entire setups. And then you need a gfx card that actually output above 40fps at it's native res...
    Last edited by rufuske; August 10 2021 at 10:37:32 AM.

  17. #177
    Sandzibar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    5,684
    What do you need to drive such a beast and have 60+ fps in shootahs? 2080 TI minimum?

  18. #178
    VARRAKK's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 27, 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    6,613
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandzibar View Post
    What do you need to drive such a beast and have 60+ fps in shootahs? 2080 TI minimum?
    Depends a lot on the games you play. The INSANE part is, these panels supports 240Hz.
    There is no competition to it, wish I waited another 6 months to buy a Neo cause it is a massive upgrade on the one field the original was weak. HDR.

    2080TI will get you very far.
    Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

  19. #179
    GeromeDoutrande's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Fakefrenchistan
    Posts
    3,764
    Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandzibar View Post
    What do you need to drive such a beast and have 60+ fps in shootahs? 2080 TI minimum?
    Depends a lot on the games you play. The INSANE part is, these panels supports 240Hz.
    There is no competition to it, wish I waited another 6 months to buy a Neo cause it is a massive upgrade on the one field the original was weak. HDR.
    Just get another one for a dual-screen setup

  20. #180
    Sandzibar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    5,684
    Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandzibar View Post
    What do you need to drive such a beast and have 60+ fps in shootahs? 2080 TI minimum?
    Depends a lot on the games you play. The INSANE part is, these panels supports 240Hz.
    There is no competition to it, wish I waited another 6 months to buy a Neo cause it is a massive upgrade on the one field the original was weak. HDR.
    Just get another one for a dual-screen setup
    Youd probably need magic eyes to use that setup.

    Like a chameleon.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •