hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 92 FirstFirst 123451252 ... LastLast

Thread: [DCS World] All I want for Christmas is a Hornet

I have some pretty fond memories of multiplayer falcon4. The thing with these sorts of sim games is that half the fun is multiplayer with friends and falling in a spectacular fashion.
    i heard you're ideas and their definately good

The reason so many people still play Falcon 4 BMS is because the MP experience is much more fun than A10 (oh, and it's free of course). DCS is great for making HiFi sims, and I played it for days until I'd learnt everything I could about the A10 and Blackshark. But their chosen model is to create a 'simulator environment in which to experience different aircraft and weapon systems' - hence they could justify adding a P51 Mustang to a modern scenario.

They have no intention of making a proper dynamic campaign, or even persistent multi mission scenarios, so the game element (as opposed to the simulator) is limited to single missions and anything that clever scripters can come up with. I'm struggling to justify forking out more dosh for what admittedly looks like a great feature for a sim, but will have very limited longevity in gameplay terms. Frankly I think we're likely to get more out of ArmA3's HiFi helicopter flight model, given that persistent campaigns and database exports are now feasible.

Donor
    Quote Originally Posted by friznit View Post
    They have no intention of making a proper dynamic campaign, or even persistent multi mission scenarios, so the game element (as opposed to the simulator) is limited to single missions and anything that clever scripters can come up with. I'm struggling to justify forking out more dosh for what admittedly looks like a great feature for a sim, but will have very limited longevity in gameplay terms. Frankly I think we're likely to get more out of ArmA3's HiFi helicopter flight model, given that persistent campaigns and database exports are now feasible.
    Not quite right:

Just so you are aware a DC is in the plans - however it will be implemented iteratively. The First two componants of which, are the Warehouse systems and the Mission generator. More will follow in time.
    That was a quote from one of the official testers back in may.

Well that would be something worth getting excited about. They'd previously said 'negative, never gonna happen, cos :effort:'

yea, but i think the "games like this need a dynamic campaign to be viable in the long term as a lot of simmers play it alone for extended periods of time" finally penetrated their rather impressively thick skulls.
    when there's a dynamic campaign generator i will fork out the money, but not until that point.

also, what-the-fuck ? F-14D, but no F-16C ?
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Donor
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    yea, but i think the "games like this need a dynamic campaign to be viable in the long term as a lot of simmers play it alone for extended periods of time" finally penetrated their rather impressively thick skulls.
    when there's a dynamic campaign generator i will fork out the money, but not until that point.

also, what-the-fuck ? F-14D, but no F-16C ?
    F-16 is beeing worked on as well, but nothing official yet.

You can see this thread to check is a specific plane is being worked on: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=73051

Beczl's MiG-21Bis is going to be fucking fantastic....

I have worries about the IRISsims people, I can't believe they have the gall to think they can ever get enough data to make an F-15E with any kind of fidelity.

Donor
    I wouldn't be to worried. Most aircraft's has some sort of base layer that is common between them. I read the documentation on their F-15E addon for FSX, and if that is what they have now for data. I would say it looks promising, as they have stated that they are aiming for "DCS" quality on that addon. They have also said that is the module that will take the longest for them to complete.
    They are also leaning towards an open Beta.

Anyway, looks fucking sweet for the air sim community in the future with this change.

Donor
    DCS: P-51D Mustang - Promotional Trailer

DCS next module for the DCS world.

Hnnng sweet. Tempting, but I just started learning the A-10 and its awesome. Cant wait to get my hands on my head tracking shit, being able to look around freely is awesome.

Anyone playing with the warthog in MP? I am really bad but it would be cool to crash in someone familiar :P
    <Devec> hello captain Tyrehl
    <Devec> sailor of the persian seas
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox
    I swear you are some sort of biological weapon developed in the early '90's for the Yugoslav wars but they lost track of you at some point and now you're waging a psychological war on Western Europe without a clue what you're doing.

Donor
    I'm down for some A-10 multiplayer.

DCS: Sepia Edition! Not quite sure how they reconcile a WW2 fighter in the DCS enviro - P51 flying alongside an A10 and F15 looks a little incongruous (also, HUD in P51 @ ~1:30, wut?)

Have played A10 in MP to death with a flight of 4 Hogs and 2 Blacksharks. Ran out of fun because missions become repetitive and a bit dull when you realise there's no war to win. A10's still a bloody nice flight sim, but we're currently hooked on bashing Syria to bits in my IDF F16 in Falcon 4 BMS.

Will probably go back to DCS when the ground combat bit comes out, if ArmA3 hasn't stolen the limelight by then.

DCS: Sepia Edition! Not quite sure how they reconcile a WW2 fighter in the DCS enviro - P51 flying alongside an A10 and F15 looks a little incongruous (also, HUD in P51 @ ~1:30, wut?)

Have played A10 in MP to death with a flight of 4 Hogs and 2 Blacksharks. Ran out of fun because missions become repetitive and a bit dull when you realise there's no war to win. A10's still a bloody nice flight sim, but we're currently hooked on bashing Syria to bits in my IDF F16 in Falcon 4 BMS.

Will probably go back to DCS when the ground combat bit comes out, if ArmA3 hasn't stolen the limelight by then.
    It's not a HUD it's a KV-14 gunsight, it works like an optical/ red dot sight powered by a gyro to calculate how much you need to lead the guns. That's realistic for the P-51D, Also don't forget that even in Vietnam the P-51D was considered for use for small-scale counter-insurgency roles, which would make it one of 2 prop-powered aircraft in service with the USAF at that time, the other being the A-1 Skyraider (The plane that convinced the US Government to issue the requirement that would yield us the A-10).

BMS Falcon has a much better campaign than DCS World, however with DCS Combined Arms coming out soonish that might change, it'll still be just as meaningless but people can actually drive the ground vehicles if that floats your boat. Also a person very skilled at the mission editor could probably emulate a dynamic campaign if he had enough time, it would take weeks to make though and knowing the ED community it would cost $150 or something.

You're right though, it's hard to argue against BMS Falcon since it's all but free...
    Last edited by Paradox; June 26 2012 at 05:13:10 PM.

Donor
    Combined arms looks promising. And from what DCS has said on the forums, it's a step towards a dynamic campaign.

Would love to take up F4 again, but just dont have the time to get familiar with both sims atm. DCS: A-10C gives me plenty gameplay atm. The system simulation is absolutely awesome.

And with the promise of a high fidelity F-15E in the future... hnnggg!!

it's all about dat MiG-21 for me, Beczl is a god among men. He also said he'll probably finish it before the end of this year. He also also said that he's going to model some of the more obscure, strange weapons that the MiG-21 was designed to deploy... including the RN-25 tactical nuclear bomb. That's gonna be FUN.

well Doobalpoosting to say that anyone who has any kind of interesting in combat flight simuation should donate here: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/150836?c=home

This is a kickstarter-like project for the first 3rd party module for DCS: World; the MiG-21Bis. And it is going to be glorious. Give him all of your money.

Been flying this for the past week with my new X-52 Pro and doing quite well, but i keep getting a [CICU INPUT ERROR] on my HUD from time to time which i have no idea how to deal with. basically when im editing weapon profiles and need to change values it will pop up randomly, and i dont know how to deal with it and it blocks me from changing any values on any of the displays..
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonM View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by W0lf Crendraven View Post
    Im serious.
    That's the sad part.

It pops up if you try to input an invalid entry in that field. To clear it, press the CLR button on the UFC (or the numpad doohicky on the right console) and reenter the numbers.

Been practising PID'ing targets with Blacksharks and passing Lat/Long to the A10s who then D-Link to the flight in readiness for helicopter borne FAC. Feeling like a total geek.

The reason so many people still play Falcon 4 BMS is because the MP experience is much more fun than A10 (oh, and it's free of course). DCS is great for making HiFi sims, and I played it for days until I'd learnt everything I could about the A10 and Blackshark. But their chosen model is to create a 'simulator environment in which to experience different aircraft and weapon systems' - hence they could justify adding a P51 Mustang to a modern scenario.

I was under the impression Falcon 4 BMS still require you to have the original Falcon 4.0 discs. (Which are hard to come by.)

You only need a copy of the original .EXE file. When I get around to trying BMS I'll just download it. I paid for allied force and that's good enough for me.
    Last edited by CastleBravo; July 17 2012 at 01:23:31 AM.