hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What 4K smart TV to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    It was only £500 in the summer to.
    That's some bargain

Get an nVidia Shield TV and then whatever screen that looks good in the correct form factor.

Thx for all the comments/suggestions so far.

So OLED seems to be a recommended option. Will look for those then.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    It's Ä300 more than the other ones you looked at, but it is worth a shot.
    I should have mentioned that perhaps as well. The above ones weren't chosen by price, but by size -> reviews. 49" - 50" is the szie that fits. From measuring the current available space and extrapolating what length a 55" might have, those won't fit, I'm afraid. I've got 120cm to play with, arranging things very tight perhaps 125cm. The current 49" occupies 110cm.

Fortunately I can afford to spend a few bucks more for improved quality (and longevity) and am more than happy to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post

It's €300 more than the other ones you looked at, but it is worth a shot.
    I should have mentioned that perhaps as well. The above ones weren't chosen by price, but by size -> reviews. 49" - 50" is the szie that fits. From measuring the current available space and extrapolating what length a 55" might have, those won't fit, I'm afraid. I've got 120cm to play with, arranging things very tight perhaps 125cm. The current 49" occupies 110cm.

Fortunately I can afford to spend a few bucks more for improved quality (and longevity) and am more than happy to do so.
    Good thing 48" OLEDs became a reality not long ago so one of those will fit in your space.

We have a 65" OLED and a 50" LCD, the black levels on the LCD is so bad so I ended up installing a bias light behind it to mask it.

One thing I forgot to meantion/ask: I currently use Kodi to stream music from my NAS to my TV. The Teufel Cinebase's sound quality I mentioned here is better than my very old and very basic CD player.

I obviously installed Kodi thru Google Play Store. Do SmartTVs with other OS than AndroidTV also provide such apps through their stores? Or do they perhaps have something similar built in? I'm solely looking to stream music. Can't be arsed to rip DVDs. I've still got an ancient DVD player that takes care of those.

LG runs WebOS which isn't quite the best, but you can run Plex on it, to talk to your NAS.
    technology canít solve economic and political problems

LG has a Plex client (no Kodi client I think), so you could replace Kodi with the free version of Plex. I am sure there are other options with apps that can stream music from a NAS for LG WebOS.

I use an NVidia Shield TV stick instead of built-in TV apps, because that frees you to only consider image quality when buying the TV and you can upgrade the "apps" part separately if that ever becomes desirable (that stick also performs much better than smart TVs).

Again: many thanks for your answers.

You got me intrigued, Gerome. How does the connection with the Shield stick work in regards to other periphericals? Like with the above mentioned CineBase sound system? Would that (Internet ->) Shield -> TV and then TV -> (other device)?

Again: many thanks for your answers.

You got me intrigued, Gerome. How does the connection with the Shield stick work in regards to other periphericals? Like with the above mentioned CineBase sound system? Would that (Internet ->) Shield -> TV and then TV -> (other device)?
    You will connect Shield to TV then TV to soundbar. Connection from TV can be either optical or HDMI using ARC. We do the latter on the LCD TV with a soundbar.

It's €300 more than the other ones you looked at, but it is worth a shot.

Can I throw my 2x in?

I wanted an OLED but my wife and daughter are fucking terrible about leaving the tv on a static image. So I went with miniLED QLED (or NeoQLED) I got a QN65QE95 Samsung. Its incredible, its hard for most normies and some enthuisiasts to knoiw its NOT OLED based. The local dimming zone tech of miniLED is fantastic with samsung. So far ive not had any bullshit from samsung with ads or wahtever and it does exactly what i need it to do.

Also the sound quality is amazing, the inscreen speakers work well, I bought a samsung soundbar and it set it up over eARC without any intervention from me and was flawless. Highly reccomend.

I bought mine for £1k but it was the 65" flagship model

Samsung MiniLEDs are also very good, in particular in bright rooms as they can run absurdly high brightness values.

Before actually switching into buying mode, I'm trying to get the current one repaired. I contacted the shop where I bought it, they then referred me to the repair shop they cooperate with. I contaced them on Friday and wait for them to come back to me.

My brother got a deal on a C1 48" and the picture is almost too good. It's a bit merciless on older media, although there's probably a setting somewhere for that. But on modern 4K stuff it looks absolutely phenomenal. Sweet as fuck for console gaming also.
    NB the 55" is usually pretty much the same price so unless you need to squeeze it into a smaller room or something you might as well get the extra screen size.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Is anyone using a LG C1 or C2 as Pc monitor? I was thinking about it but still concerned about burn in and text readability etc when browsing/shitposting.

I can't recommend Samsung smart TV's.
    Tizen got shit app support.
    While they are among the best TV's, not having Android is too big of a sacrifice.
    Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

Quote Originally Posted by Sandzibar View Post
    Is anyone using a LG C1 or C2 as Pc monitor? I was thinking about it but still concerned about burn in and text readability etc when browsing/shitposting.
    The consensus seems to be that if you're using it for a dedicated gaming/media second screen then it's absolutely amazing. But not so good for text based, static object stuff. So you would want a non OLED primary screen for browsing, work, etc and then the C2 for playing games and reviewing your extensive collection of clothing-deprived ladies.

Pity because a 42" 4K virtual desktop would be perfect for when I'm WFH.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    I can't recommend Samsung smart TV's.
    Tizen got shit app support.
    While they are among the best TV's, not having Android is too big of a sacrifice.
    Thats fair, but it is doing everything i want it to do. And a note on android tv intergrated into some of these units. Be careful waht you wish for. I got android tv on my sony tv, and they revoked access to some apps to force you to use their own app. (NO way around it). And you cant use their app if you cant plug the tv into an aerial with signal. So FU to whoever bought that tv (ie me).

I got me one of these for the house: https://www.lg.com/se/tv/lg-oled65b16la (sorry for swe-link).

Now, I realize I have not looked into new tv's and oled for years and only have had a couple of days with it but so far - Holy fuckin shit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN] View Post
    I got me one of these for the house: https://www.lg.com/se/tv/lg-oled65b16la (sorry for swe-link).

Now, I realize I have not looked into new tv's and oled for years and only have had a couple of days with it but so far - Holy fuckin shit!
    Welcome to the OLED club!

Our 65" Panasonic OLED is about to have its 5th birthday as we got it on Black Friday in 2017.

"cheap" black friday deal 42" lg c2 just arrived from john lewis. wow.

going from an ancient 24" lcd to this thing is truely eye opening.

had concerns with text legability on browsing etc but its fine tbh.

wow.