hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 104

Thread: RC Stuff

  1. #41
    Ask me about midgets Donor Mendolorian Girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    2,924
    Quote Originally Posted by Smarnca View Post
    Today was a good day for flying. My hands were a bit cold though.

    I'm now buying my 2nd model. Choosing between Multiplex AcroMaster and FunCub
    I like the fun cub because it's big but I also like AcroMaster because it's fast and agile.
    Take a look at the Hobbyking Tundra, it's a lovely bit of kit for the money. You get floats with it (seaplane bitches!), and you can fit skis for winter flying. Funcub is highly regarded though.
    irony1
    ˈīrənē/

    noun

    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Just goes to show how lowbrow the tastes of the British public are.

  2. #42
    Smarnca's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 30, 2013
    Location
    Lowlife.
    Posts
    7,453
    Santa in disguise brought me a new present:



  3. #43
    Ask me about midgets Donor Mendolorian Girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    2,924
    Quote Originally Posted by Smarnca View Post
    Santa in disguise brought me a new present:

    this is gonna be an expensive and brief hobby if you buy planes that require more skill than you currently have

    That looks a lot like a 3D plane, which are prone to stalls, and require exceptional flying skills. Strongly advise you stick it in the cupboard until next year. I've been flying 2 years now, and would be loath to touch a 3D plane yet. At the very least, put some serious hours (100+) in on a simulator before you fly it.

    Sorry to be a killjoy, your call of course but I'd pick up something else that's fun but more forgiving.

    In other news, after snapping the wing on my Middle Phase, and repairing it really rather well imo... I've discovered that I've somehow severed the servo lead, which is embedded in the wing . NFC how I'm going to replace that without completely butchering the wing.
    irony1
    ˈīrənē/

    noun

    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Just goes to show how lowbrow the tastes of the British public are.

  4. #44
    thebomby's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    6,560
    Quote Originally Posted by Mendolorian Girl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sarabando View Post
    We got to chat to the guys at phantom when at IFA in Berlin. The new planedrone looks amazing i have plans for all sort of silly mods for shenanigans. and for about a grand it includes a VR headset and full controller unit.
    That was a Parrot Disco drone. It was great.

    The thing that made us both go "shit I'm buying" was the 250g payload. Just wire another battery in for longer range. Or add a go pro for proper video.
    that's the flying wing right? page won't load for me. That does look pretty awesome. I built the FT Arrow for some low height flying through trees etc, great fun!





    surprisingly durable as well, I've cartwheeled it a couple of times, crashed into a big bramble tree and generally abused the shit out of it. I take the time to make a wooden template when building a Flite Test plane that I know I'm gonna build more than once. Makes knocking them out ridiculously quick.

    Haven't quite got the courage to FPV it yet, but it's set up ready to go. Just need to sort out my spotter and get this new motor/esc setup working how I want it.
    That looks fucking amazing! It should be a sport, chasing one another through trees and stuff.
    Будь смиренным, будь кротким, не заботься о тленном
    Власти, данной Богом, сынок, будь навеки верным...
    Я люблю Росcию, я - патриот

  5. #45
    Smarnca's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 30, 2013
    Location
    Lowlife.
    Posts
    7,453
    Quote Originally Posted by Mendolorian Girl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smarnca View Post
    Santa in disguise brought me a new present:
      Spoiler:

      Spoiler:


    this is gonna be an expensive and brief hobby if you buy planes that require more skill than you currently have

    That looks a lot like a 3D plane, which are prone to stalls, and require exceptional flying skills. Strongly advise you stick it in the cupboard until next year. I've been flying 2 years now, and would be loath to touch a 3D plane yet. At the very least, put some serious hours (100+) in on a simulator before you fly it.

    Sorry to be a killjoy, your call of course but I'd pick up something else that's fun but more forgiving.

    In other news, after snapping the wing on my Middle Phase, and repairing it really rather well imo... I've discovered that I've somehow severed the servo lead, which is embedded in the wing . NFC how I'm going to replace that without completely butchering the wing.
    I know what you mean. But aparently I'm ready I havent flown it yet because speed controller is dead.

    Quote Originally Posted by thebomby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mendolorian Girl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sarabando View Post
    We got to chat to the guys at phantom when at IFA in Berlin. The new planedrone looks amazing i have plans for all sort of silly mods for shenanigans. and for about a grand it includes a VR headset and full controller unit.
    That was a Parrot Disco drone. It was great.

    The thing that made us both go "shit I'm buying" was the 250g payload. Just wire another battery in for longer range. Or add a go pro for proper video.
    that's the flying wing right? page won't load for me. That does look pretty awesome. I built the FT Arrow for some low height flying through trees etc, great fun!





    surprisingly durable as well, I've cartwheeled it a couple of times, crashed into a big bramble tree and generally abused the shit out of it. I take the time to make a wooden template when building a Flite Test plane that I know I'm gonna build more than once. Makes knocking them out ridiculously quick.

    Haven't quite got the courage to FPV it yet, but it's set up ready to go. Just need to sort out my spotter and get this new motor/esc setup working how I want it.
    That looks fucking amazing! It should be a sport, chasing one another through trees and stuff.
    That looks amazing! But I assume Flite test is an american store? Tax and shipping costs are gonna be way too high for me to order this.


  6. #46
    Joe Appleby's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    in front of the class
    Posts
    12,823
    Quote Originally Posted by thebomby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mendolorian Girl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sarabando View Post
    We got to chat to the guys at phantom when at IFA in Berlin. The new planedrone looks amazing i have plans for all sort of silly mods for shenanigans. and for about a grand it includes a VR headset and full controller unit.
    That was a Parrot Disco drone. It was great.

    The thing that made us both go "shit I'm buying" was the 250g payload. Just wire another battery in for longer range. Or add a go pro for proper video.
    that's the flying wing right? page won't load for me. That does look pretty awesome. I built the FT Arrow for some low height flying through trees etc, great fun!





    surprisingly durable as well, I've cartwheeled it a couple of times, crashed into a big bramble tree and generally abused the shit out of it. I take the time to make a wooden template when building a Flite Test plane that I know I'm gonna build more than once. Makes knocking them out ridiculously quick.

    Haven't quite got the courage to FPV it yet, but it's set up ready to go. Just need to sort out my spotter and get this new motor/esc setup working how I want it.
    That looks fucking amazing! It should be a sport, chasing one another through trees and stuff.
    That already exists. Search for FPV drone racing.

    Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

  7. #47
    Ask me about midgets Donor Mendolorian Girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    2,924
    Quote Originally Posted by Smarnca View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mendolorian Girl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smarnca View Post
    Santa in disguise brought me a new present:
      Spoiler:

      Spoiler:


    this is gonna be an expensive and brief hobby if you buy planes that require more skill than you currently have

    That looks a lot like a 3D plane, which are prone to stalls, and require exceptional flying skills. Strongly advise you stick it in the cupboard until next year. I've been flying 2 years now, and would be loath to touch a 3D plane yet. At the very least, put some serious hours (100+) in on a simulator before you fly it.

    Sorry to be a killjoy, your call of course but I'd pick up something else that's fun but more forgiving.

    In other news, after snapping the wing on my Middle Phase, and repairing it really rather well imo... I've discovered that I've somehow severed the servo lead, which is embedded in the wing . NFC how I'm going to replace that without completely butchering the wing.
    I know what you mean. But aparently I'm ready I havent flown it yet because speed controller is dead.

    Quote Originally Posted by thebomby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mendolorian Girl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sarabando View Post
    We got to chat to the guys at phantom when at IFA in Berlin. The new planedrone looks amazing i have plans for all sort of silly mods for shenanigans. and for about a grand it includes a VR headset and full controller unit.
    That was a Parrot Disco drone. It was great.

    The thing that made us both go "shit I'm buying" was the 250g payload. Just wire another battery in for longer range. Or add a go pro for proper video.
    that's the flying wing right? page won't load for me. That does look pretty awesome. I built the FT Arrow for some low height flying through trees etc, great fun!





    surprisingly durable as well, I've cartwheeled it a couple of times, crashed into a big bramble tree and generally abused the shit out of it. I take the time to make a wooden template when building a Flite Test plane that I know I'm gonna build more than once. Makes knocking them out ridiculously quick.

    Haven't quite got the courage to FPV it yet, but it's set up ready to go. Just need to sort out my spotter and get this new motor/esc setup working how I want it.
    That looks fucking amazing! It should be a sport, chasing one another through trees and stuff.
    That looks amazing! But I assume Flite test is an american store? Tax and shipping costs are gonna be way too high for me to order this.
    it is, but you can buy from Graupner in Germany also.

    and I've never ordered anything, you just download the plans online, find somewhere that sells foamboard (or depron) and make it yourself. I recommend creating a template out of hardboard first, it's marginally more effort but makes building future planes trivially quick.

    I learned to slope soar using a flite test versa wing that cost a total of 18 to build. Including servos, receiver (the vast bulk of the cost) and battery, so insanely cheap to build.
    irony1
    ˈīrənē/

    noun

    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Just goes to show how lowbrow the tastes of the British public are.

  8. #48
    Smarnca's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 30, 2013
    Location
    Lowlife.
    Posts
    7,453
    Ok I didnt even see the plans. That's amazing! If I can find a store that sells depron here I'll try building it before NY

    Edit: found! 2x1m and 6mm thick costs 4€
    Last edited by Smarnca; December 27 2016 at 12:10:38 PM.


  9. #49
    Ask me about midgets Donor Mendolorian Girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    2,924
    Quote Originally Posted by Smarnca View Post
    Ok I didnt even see the plans. That's amazing! If I can find a store that sells depron here I'll try building it before NY

    Edit: found! 2x1m and 6mm thick costs 4€
    foam board is what it's intended to be built with, but depron with tape covering will certainly work for the FT Arrow (and reduces weight).

    I built my first one a couple of months ago and was running it on an 1806 Emax/Dys (I forget) quad motor that I had spare. With a 1300mah battery (much higher than recommended) I was getting 15+ minutes flight time, but it wasn't exactly rapid. Destroyed that one pretty quickly (the first build is always the worst, you learn so much for the second/third builds, hence my recommendation to build a solid template) and built another which I've got a 2206 motor and I've just bought my first couple of 4S batteries, so looking forward to seeing how fast it is with that setup.

    Mate built one as well, and whilst it's great fun flying low and stupid (it costs nothing, so flying it amongst the trees is great fun, and a risk free learning curve) on your own, when you get a buddy into the mix, that's just fucking ridiculously fun. Trying to knock each other out of the sky in dog fights is soooooooooo cool.
    irony1
    ˈīrənē/

    noun

    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Just goes to show how lowbrow the tastes of the British public are.

  10. #50
    Ask me about midgets Donor Mendolorian Girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    2,924
    Quote Originally Posted by Smarnca View Post
    Ok I didnt even see the plans. That's amazing! If I can find a store that sells depron here I'll try building it before NY

    Edit: found! 2x1m and 6mm thick costs 4€
    pay heed to the required reflex in the elevons (they talk about it in the build video, and there's a gauage in the plans), without it it'll fly like a pig. and correct CG is critical for flyign wings. Flying wings are inherently unstable, so definitely not for beginners, but this costs fuck all, so give it a go eh . Once trimmed out, I found mine to fly remarkably stably in a light wind.
    irony1
    ˈīrənē/

    noun

    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Just goes to show how lowbrow the tastes of the British public are.

  11. #51
    Smarnca's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 30, 2013
    Location
    Lowlife.
    Posts
    7,453
    I've heard about all the problems with flying wings just now from my friends irl

    I'll give it a try it's quite cheap. Luckily there are also other plans for the "Mighty mini" series so if the Arrow doesnt work I'll just try something else!
    Anyways I've printed the plans for it now. Next step is ordering everything from HK since I dont have any spare servos, motors, speed controllers or anything at home (except for receivers and batteries).
    I'll order enough for three separate models. Cant wait!
    Last edited by Smarnca; December 27 2016 at 09:03:38 PM.


  12. #52
    Ask me about midgets Donor Mendolorian Girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    2,924
    Quote Originally Posted by Smarnca View Post
    I've heard about all the problems with flying wings just now from my friends irl

    I'll give it a try it's quite cheap. Luckily there are also other plans for the "Mighty mini" series so if the Arrow doesnt work I'll just try something else!
    Anyways I've printed the plans for it now. Next step is ordering everything from HK since I dont have any spare servos, motors, speed controllers or anything at home (except for receivers and batteries).
    I'll order enough for three separate models. Cant wait!
    Order yourself a bunch of the cheapest shittiest 9g servos you can find, should be 1-2 a pop, they're used extensively throughout the FT range. They're delicate, so always handy to have some on hand.

    Now, assuming you have mountains/hills near you, also build a Versa wing and go slope soaring, you'll love it.
    irony1
    ˈīrənē/

    noun

    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Just goes to show how lowbrow the tastes of the British public are.

  13. #53
    Smarnca's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 30, 2013
    Location
    Lowlife.
    Posts
    7,453
    hm. I need some help. What's the HK equivalent of this motor http://www.banggood.com/EMAX-MT1806-...-p-933931.html
    I dont want to order from some random Chinese store

    I'm really bad at this and just cant find it?

    All comparable motors are made for multirotors. Would something like this do? https://hobbyking.com/en_us/qav1806-2300kv-cw.html
    Last edited by Smarnca; December 29 2016 at 12:04:32 PM.


  14. #54
    Ask me about midgets Donor Mendolorian Girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    2,924
    Quote Originally Posted by Smarnca View Post
    hm. I need some help. What's the HK equivalent of this motor http://www.banggood.com/EMAX-MT1806-...-p-933931.html
    I dont want to order from some random Chinese store

    I'm really bad at this and just cant find it?

    All comparable motors are made for multirotors. Would something like this do? https://hobbyking.com/en_us/qav1806-2300kv-cw.html
    yup, thats just fine 1806 designates the motor size (width and height iirc), the kv designates how quickly it spins. As a general rule, the larger the motor size, the slower it spins, and the bigger the prop. a 5030 prop with that motor will fly just fine
    irony1
    ˈīrənē/

    noun

    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Just goes to show how lowbrow the tastes of the British public are.

  15. #55
    Smarnca's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 30, 2013
    Location
    Lowlife.
    Posts
    7,453
    Quote Originally Posted by Mendolorian Girl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smarnca View Post
    hm. I need some help. What's the HK equivalent of this motor http://www.banggood.com/EMAX-MT1806-...-p-933931.html
    I dont want to order from some random Chinese store

    I'm really bad at this and just cant find it?

    All comparable motors are made for multirotors. Would something like this do? https://hobbyking.com/en_us/qav1806-2300kv-cw.html
    yup, thats just fine 1806 designates the motor size (width and height iirc), the kv designates how quickly it spins. As a general rule, the larger the motor size, the slower it spins, and the bigger the prop. a 5030 prop with that motor will fly just fine
    win

    thanks

    I'm slowly learning


  16. #56
    Ask me about midgets Donor Mendolorian Girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    2,924
    Quote Originally Posted by Smarnca View Post
    win

    thanks

    I'm slowly learning
    me too!
    irony1
    ˈīrənē/

    noun

    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Just goes to show how lowbrow the tastes of the British public are.

  17. #57
    Smarnca's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 30, 2013
    Location
    Lowlife.
    Posts
    7,453
    I just downloaded entire set of Flight test models and tryed them in a sim. Mini Arrow is super fast lol

    I think My project should be something else :P

    Maybe the DR1 triplane or SE5

    Oh and you can get the models here: http://forum.flitetest.com/showthrea...C-(Model-Index
    Last edited by Smarnca; December 30 2016 at 01:16:07 PM.


  18. #58
    Ask me about midgets Donor Mendolorian Girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    2,924
    Quote Originally Posted by Smarnca View Post
    I just downloaded entire set of Flight test models and tryed them in a sim. Mini Arrow is super fast lol

    I think My project should be something else :P

    Maybe the DR1 triplane or SE5

    Oh and you can get the models here: http://forum.flitetest.com/showthrea...C-(Model-Index
    You can fly it super slow too, it floats nicely. The power pack that is on the flight sim will be maxed out. With an 1806 and a 5030 prop, it's nice and slow, and with a 1300mah battery you'll get 10min+ flight times.

    The sparrow looks fun to fly, keep meaning to knock one of them up.
    irony1
    ˈīrənē/

    noun

    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Just goes to show how lowbrow the tastes of the British public are.

  19. #59
    Smarnca's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 30, 2013
    Location
    Lowlife.
    Posts
    7,453
    I havent been flying much lately but here are some pretty pictures from Jet Lag 2017 (also the FT mini arrow isnt done yet)





    Oh also my EasyStar has so much glue on now it can barely do a loop
    And I got an AcroMaster from Multiplex


  20. #60
    Ask me about midgets Donor Mendolorian Girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    2,924
    I had an "incident" with my Phase 6, and it's now being slowly rebuilt. Fuck knows whether it'll fly properly once it's done, but gotta give it a go. I lost signal and the failsafe kicked in 50m above the slope. It spiralled into the ground vertically and dug itself a neat hole. Unfortunately the rest of the plane carried on going once the nose had embedded itself, so the fuselage ended up in about 4 pieces and the wing snapped near the servo too.

    irony1
    ˈīrənē/

    noun

    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Just goes to show how lowbrow the tastes of the British public are.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •