hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: RC Stuff

Ask me about midgets Donor Mendolorian Girl's Avatar

RC Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Smarnca View Post
    Is there a thread for this kind of stuff somewhere?
    yes

Quote Originally Posted by Mendolorian Girl View Post
    It's good fun that's for sure, do you have any hills near yo.... oh you're in New Zealand, once you've got a few hours under your belt, have a look into slope soaring, you can do it on the beach (sand dunes), a cliff, big hill... and models can be built for dirty cheap because you're not spending out on motor/esc.

My first slope soaring plane was a Flite Test Versa Wing, cos me a grand total of £17 to build including all electronics, you can probably push that down to under a tenner if you're buying an OrangeRX receiver (so fucking cheap). A Phoenix 2000 is good fun and reasonably priced and can be used on flat field for thermalling/bimbling about and slope soaring (folding prop).
    Everybody that I know has suggested me a Multiplex Easy Star II. Aparently it's hard to break and you can just duck tape it to prevent more damage. It's also got a foldable propeller which is on top of the model.
    Also I've got a really good offer on Phoenix 1600 - 2600 but it'll wait and it will probably be my next model.
    Cost pf the models is not really an issue atm since I got DX6i transmitter, OrangeRX receiver and Li-po battery charger for free so I'm all set for now (servos etc came along with the model).

Local RC club has it's own runway less then one kilometer away from me plus I already know a couple of members.
    You got a free DX6i? Jammy fucker.

Yeah Easy star is fine, I'd have gone for a Bix 3 personally but if others are recommending the easystar, then they'll have knowledge specific to it, so it makes sense.

Definitely wasn't suggesting the Phoenix for a first plane (it was mine, i crashed it right off the bat and bought a bix 3 to learn on first). I really really regret getting the 1600 version, it's fine slope soaring with it (preferable in some cases) but the short wings are utterly fucking useless for thermalling, which is such a nice relaxing thing to do in an evening.

Make sure you check out the Flite Test channel on youtube, their content is really useful, and the plane builds are great fun. Their mini arrow is fucking awesome fun for low level HOLY SHIT YOU NEARLY HIT THAT TREE flight, and it sounds obnoxious as fuck with it's tiny motor. Can't wait until my flying mates build theirs and we can FPV around chasing and crashing each other.

Don't dismiss cheap planes either, you can learn a whole lot quicker on something you don't care about dinging into the ground at high speed. Some of the best fun I've had has been with planes that cost < £20.
    i·ro·ny1
    ˈīrənē/

noun

Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Just goes to show how lowbrow the tastes of the British public are.

I recently decided I wanted to learn how to fly a remote control helicopter. I got a fixed pitch helicopter to help me learn a thing or two. This was both a good idea and a bad idea. with fixed pitch you are a bitch to wind conditions, as in to much wind and the chances of you seeing your helicopter again is questionable. Not because it can't fly faster than the wind or hold a position but because you just lost your ability to control lift. I lost my helicopter when I decided to fly it while at my place off of Traverse bay (northern lower peninsula) A stiff wind came off the bay as it does and lifted my helicopter about 400 meters in the air, I dropped power to about 1/4 (normally this means fall out of sky) to no avail. I cut power and watched it get carried away due to a loss of control by the wind towards a tree covered bluff. I decided to not bother looking for it. Next purchase will be a proper RC helicopter.

I was flying Easy Star in the simulator just now and I must say I've gotten quite used to it.
    If it's that easy IRL I'll switch to something bigger and better quite fast. However flying anything that's not a self propelled glider is quite hard.

I was flying Easy Star in the simulator just now and I must say I've gotten quite used to it.
    If it's that easy IRL I'll switch to something bigger and better quite fast. However flying anything that's not a self propelled glider is quite hard.
    It's the getting used to controlling a free floating object in a different orientation than you that is the real trick.

WTS kidney to buy DJI Phantom 4.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.
    What are you doing with your life?İDoomchinchilla 2015

I really hope flying the real model will be as easy as this

Planes are easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post

Planes are easier.
    I'm gonna try out that model irl next week.

Movember '11 Ginger Excellence Movember 2011Movember 2012 sarabando's Avatar
    We got to chat to the guys at phantom when at IFA in Berlin. The new planedrone looks amazing i have plans for all sort of silly mods for shenanigans. and for about a grand it includes a VR headset and full controller unit.

The foam planes are great way to start, and dirt cheap. for your first kit don't worry too much about performance, worry about repair costs. Currently mucking about with a Shen Drones Mixuko (Emax RS2205 2300kv, LB30a,xracer f303 v2.1,Frsky XSR, HS1177) & RCExplorer Mini-Tri (stock).

Using Frsky Taranis for controlling and Fatshark Attitude V3 for goggles. Got some of those cheap soccer cones to set up tracks. Which is very neat.

I fly drones a bit, just off the shelf things but the Phantom 2 was expensive a coupla years ago.
    "I think we could all do with sitting back a bit and detaching ourselves from the situation to really think about how these issues reflect on our future and how we discuss them here and be a bit less aggressive or defensive because everyone has a complicated set of circumstances that has led the to place importance on particular issues and it doesn't meany any of them is less valid, we just need to look at the broader picture"

Smuggo - Brexit Thread

Omg It's here! Maiden flight in 1 hour.

Hopefully

Omg It's here! Maiden flight in 1 hour.

Hopefully

Hiro Cor

Sadly my first flight never happened

By the time I got everything set up and plane assembled it was too dark so I've decided to be smart and went home.

I'll try it for real tomorrow and on Saturday. I'll also bring someone along to film it

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    It's the getting used to controlling a free floating object in a different orientation than you that is the real trick.
    This. Flying an rc plane, quad, heli is actually relatively easy. Now control it whilst it's flying towards you or when it's 100m away and 50m up and you're eyes are playing tricks on you and you're literally not sure which way it's pointing.

The simulators can't really duplicate that feeling for me, lighting and distance are very very different in real life and it's so so easy for you to lose orientation.

Losing orientation is the #1 killer for me.
    i·ro·ny1
    ˈīrənē/

noun

You really really don't want to be flying that low, particularly whilst you're learning. You want to be "3 mistakes up", so that you can fuck up, recover, fuck up again, and recover again, without hitting the ground. Fly much higher than that, and never behind you.

I finally got to maiden my new toy (Marabu - 2.75m Powered Glider) last Friday, rather nerve wracking as it's £400 worth of kit (£200 plane, £100 electronics, £100 telemetry gear). The slim profile of the plane and wings in particular is fucking terrifying when you look away for half a second and then takes you 2-3 seconds to find it in the sky again. I've heard so many stories of glider pilots just losing their planes like that, never to be seen again.

no that's not me throwing it
    Last edited by Mendolorian Girl; September 22 2016 at 02:07:49 PM.
    i·ro·ny1
    ˈīrənē/

noun

You really really don't want to be flying that low, particularly whilst you're learning. You want to be "3 mistakes up", so that you can fuck up, recover, fuck up again, and recover again, without hitting the ground. Fly much higher than that, and never behind you.

I finally got to maiden my new toy (Marabu - 2.75m Powered Glider) last Friday, rather nerve wracking as it's £400 worth of kit (£200 plane, £100 electronics, £100 telemetry gear). The slim profile of the plane and wings in particular is fucking terrifying when you look away for half a second and then takes you 2-3 seconds to find it in the sky again. I've heard so many stories of glider pilots just losing their planes like that, never to be seen again.

I know what you mean about flying low but watching a model on computer screen is so much worse than watching it irl.

Also that tall grass in your video must be terrible for retreiving "lost" models

Have buzzer and led lights on my quads for retrieving lost models, activated by switch, which really helps.

I know what you mean about flying low but watching a model on computer screen is so much worse than watching it irl.

Also that tall grass in your video must be terrible for retreiving "lost" models
    we've had a few go totally missing, but usually they'll get foundwhen a member brings their phantom up to hunt for it. The reeds for the most part are bloody amazing, you can crash into them at full speed and not break a thing. On the other hand, there's something there that leaves no bite mark but puts you into severe joint pain and shock, so have to be careful now i've found that out.

I crashed that glider into the reeds last night. I think it would've been fine except that one of the pins that's glued into the wing and is used to hold it into the fuselage obviously wasn't glued correctly, and one wing part tore off, takign with it a load of balsa. Fixable, but rather frustrating!
    i·ro·ny1
    ˈīrənē/

noun

You guys need to up your game.

RIP Xenosisreaper 04.11.2015