hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 61314151617 LastLast

Thread: Subnautica: underwater survival/drowning simulator (w/early access frostbite)

Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    Once you get a planter of Bulbo trees you'll never have to worry about food again. I have mixed feelings about food/water in games like this tbh, it starts off interesting and gives some tension but becomes annoying later once you figure out a way to quickly and effectively get around the mechanic.
    True for every survival game. From Zomboid to Rust to The Forest to etc. The first 10-20 hours of gameplay hunger/thirst help you feel more immersed in the true danger of surviving. But once you understand the base mechanics you end up min/maxing it to the point it's just an annoying bar you fill up every 15 mins.

Quote Originally Posted by jonesbones View Post
    Once you get a planter of Bulbo trees you'll never have to worry about food again. I have mixed feelings about food/water in games like this tbh, it starts off interesting and gives some tension but becomes annoying later once you figure out a way to quickly and effectively get around the mechanic.
    True for every survival game. From Zomboid to Rust to The Forest to etc. The first 10-20 hours of gameplay hunger/thirst help you feel more immersed in the true danger of surviving. But once you understand the base mechanics you end up min/maxing it to the point it's just an annoying bar you fill up every 15 mins.
    At least with the cyclops you can always take your farm with you where ever you go. And at least farming is quite minimal effort thing to do in subnautica.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post
    Yea your first time playing you'll want to really take it in and explore, that's half the fun. On reruns you can blaze through it and rush seamoth/cyclops if you really want to.

Also be sure to bring a few beacons since there's no in-game map.
    As for the missing ingame map - which I also find to be an artifical play time inflation - there's a mod for that. I linked it back in this thread.

There's a few quality-of-life mods on NexusMods, which IMHO don't take away the fun/challenge of the game.

As for the late game with owning the Cyclops and Prawn suit - on the later replays I did, I always jumped back into the Seamoth from time to time and just zinged around for the fun of it. E.g. nagging those creatures that can actually harm the Seamoth.

And speaking of it - haven't launched it in a while, I feel the itch to start it up again.

I've just got the prawnsuit. when would I use it? It slowly clomps around the sea bed.

Its so slow I just cant imagine travelling 2km and back...

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post

As for the missing ingame map - which I also find to be an artifical play time inflation - there's a mod for that. I linked it back in this thread.
    Just FYI Kraken, don't do this. There is no faster way to eliminate the feeling of exploration.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
    I've just got the prawnsuit. when would I use it? It slowly clomps around the sea bed.

Get the grapple arm and the boost upgrade and it's surprisingly agile. You'll need it for going really deep later in the game (get the depth upgrades), and it's also pretty tough at resisting attacks from some of the bigger, scarier beasties.

Oh and you can also use the standard claw arms for mining the bigger deposits of ore, salt etc.
    Last edited by Saul; February 8 2019 at 05:38:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saul View Post

Just FYI Kraken, don't do this. There is no faster way to eliminate the feeling of exploration.

Get the grapple arm and the boost upgrade and it's surprisingly agile. You'll need it for going really deep later in the game (get the depth upgrades), and it's also pretty tough at resisting attacks from some of the bigger, scarier beasties.

Oh and you can also use the standard claw arms for mining the bigger deposits of ore, salt etc.
    Im not going to put any mods on, especially no minimap nonsense.
    Thats what the scanner room is for and beacons.

Grapple arm + Drill arm prawn suit has more power for fending off beasties than anything else. It also mines those big ore deposits to give you bigger supplies of errything.

SO after little mining trip in my prawn suit, with grapple and drill, the return trip back, im jetting through the water, 500m from my base (i built it next to the start pod) i run out of jump jet boost power, and start to sink. fine.

Except, i keep on sinking. at 500m (only 500m from the start?) I start to feel a little uneasy. continuing forward motion but sinking faster than I can recharge jets to climb, i feel a bad feeling... I know whats up.

At 900m+ the suit starts failing. and at 1000m a Lava world pops in around me, complete with a Ceiling.
    GG.

Apparently the Prawnsuit is liable to this happening after a quick google. I had the decision, rebuild the prawn and say goodbye to the items that were lost including modules, or just alt F4. Rage quit won out.

SO after little mining trip in my prawn suit, with grapple and drill, the return trip back, im jetting through the water, 500m from my base (i built it next to the start pod) i run out of jump jet boost power, and start to sink. fine.

Except, i keep on sinking. at 500m (only 500m from the start?) I start to feel a little uneasy. continuing forward motion but sinking faster than I can recharge jets to climb, i feel a bad feeling... I know whats up.

At 900m+ the suit starts failing. and at 1000m a Lava world pops in around me, complete with a Ceiling.
    GG.

Apparently the Prawnsuit is liable to this happening after a quick google. I had the decision, rebuild the prawn and say goodbye to the items that were lost including modules, or just alt F4. Rage quit won out.
    F

Never happened to me But yes, its a thing. You can also be bumped through the wall with the other ships, least likely with cyclops because of obvious size issues.

Thankfully never had that happen to me.

Also video 2:

+1

GG.

FYI you can recharge jump jets while hanging on the side of a wall, albeit at a much slower rate.

GG.

FYI you can recharge jump jets while hanging on the side of a wall, albeit at a much slower rate.
    if only some walls had loaded in
    Rebuilt what was lost from the last save, and pushed on a bit with the story. Got a cyclops built, but it needs some love before i go cruising. I can see that once you get to depths for your deep sea base to continue, the seamoth cant really be used due to depth restrictions.
    Last edited by Kraken; February 10 2019 at 05:14:14 AM.

Pro tip: you can build multiple bases, and you can build inside the cyclops (and store a decent deconstructed base in there...)

Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    Pro tip: you can build multiple bases, and you can build inside the cyclops (and store a decent deconstructed base in there...)
    Im wondering what parts will work in there, fabricator? battery charger? medkit? I think i need to find a way to keep my cyclops batteries recharging.
    I've already got in mind all the glass storage units in going to place, and a growbed in the middle of the floor with 2/3 bulbo plants and a lanten tree

edit- on testing, its going to be wall lockers. the regular lockers stand away from the wall too much.
    The Lockers are 42 storage vs 30 storage and I can sorta fit 2 for the space of every 1 locker.
    Last edited by Kraken; February 10 2019 at 03:24:22 PM.

Most of the stuff will work but it will use the power cells of the cyclops for energy when activated.

Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    Im wondering what parts will work in there, fabricator? battery charger? medkit? I think i need to find a way to keep my cyclops batteries recharging.
    I've already got in mind all the glass storage units in going to place, and a growbed in the middle of the floor with 2/3 bulbo plants and a lanten tree

edit- on testing, its going to be wall lockers. the regular lockers stand away from the wall too much.
    The Lockers are 42 storage vs 30 storage and I can sorta fit 2 for the space of every 1 locker.
    Everything you can build inside a base will work inside a cyclops, except for a few "room-sized" things like the water maker and the nuclear reactors and such. It used to be you could put solar panels on top of it to recharge the batteries but they removed that. Now you have to have a base to put your power cell chargers in to recharge your batteries.

So i've stocked my cyclops with everything, by god its cumbersome. Because the vehical builder is used on the surface, you can only build the cyclops topside? it cant be build while you are already deep deep?

Thinking i need to do some 800m Depth Runs with the seamoth and make some forward thermal Powerplant powercell charging station structures up. I can leave a moth there at a moonpool for surface trips, rather than trying to navigate the cyclops through the caverns and past chokepoint leviathans...

So i've stocked my cyclops with everything, by god its cumbersome. Because the vehical builder is used on the surface, you can only build the cyclops topside? it cant be build while you are already deep deep?

Thinking i need to do some 800m Depth Runs with the seamoth and make some forward thermal Powerplant powercell charging station structures up. I can leave a moth there at a moonpool for surface trips, rather than trying to navigate the cyclops through the caverns and past chokepoint leviathans...
    With the efficiency upgrade, the cyclops has a pretty good range. For emergencies, you can always stuff some additional cells into storage.
    just make sure you're only on silent running when absolutely necessary, that eats energy like <insert your mom joke>
    Tanks: theBlind[URBAD] (in my heart there will always be a place for [FAIL])
    Planetside2: [UBAD]theAngelic

Quote Originally Posted by Saul View Post

The minimap only reveals those parts, that you've visited already, for me it took nothing away from the awesome exploration experience of Subnautica. But it helped an old fart's memory keeping up to date.

I've mentioned that already here, but the lack of an ingame map is also a quite artificial limitation and makes no sense whatsoever. I mean - you've got an device that's capable to build a anything from thin air, among those the Cyclops and Prawn suit. And that device can't create a simple fucking map?

But yes - I get it, others may feel different about that. It's only a suggestions, no one is forced to install any mod. I've only used cosmetics and quality of life mods, e.g. there's another mod that let's you select an item you wanna build and displays a list of the needed ingredients at the top right of the screen. Again a nice helper for my old fart's memory, spares me to constantly tab in and out of the pad, to look up the next ingredient, after I put the previous one in my inventory.

Just picked this up on Xbox. So far its been really fun and relaxing. It looks great even on a shitty Xbone.