hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 411121314

Thread: Subnautica: underwater survival/drowning simulator (soon with freezing)

Having a look at their Trello board it looks like sub-zero will have a lot more surface content, one of their to do posts mentions a hoverbike and another mentions a 'twisty bridges' biome. Sounds like the underwater element will be less emphasized in this one.

better overground locomotion sounds great tbh
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    I just hope I can get a version where I don't have to fuck around with scanning bluprint bits or console codes for progression gating. I liked the game best when there was zero story and no blueprints to find, just pure exploration and progression based on resource acquisition.

Ice drilling and terrain manipulation should make a comeback. They experimented and removed it with digging sand, hope to see we can dig ice caves and such.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDude View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    I just hope I can get a version where I don't have to fuck around with scanning bluprint bits or console codes for progression gating. I liked the game best when there was zero story and no blueprints to find, just pure exploration and progression based on resource acquisition.
    Scanning blueprints *is* resource acquisition? What is the difference?
    Hiro Cor

Tying acquisition of certain blueprints to story progression was one of the reasons the story mode worked.

You know there was an entire mode where everything was unlocked and you could fuck about to your heart's content ?

They gated the content quite nicely IMO on the first game, as there seemed to be things to do and hunt for constantly without overly grinding anything. In the end the amount of resources needed for a (non glitched) completion of the game is quite low for a crafting based game.

Epic is apparently trying to get people to use their new platform, so they're going to put a new game up for free every two weeks.

From now until Dec 27, it's Subnautica.
    Totally not Victoria Stecker forgetting his password and not having access to his work email.

Quote Originally Posted by Steckersaurus View Post
    Epic is apparently trying to get people to use their new platform, so they're going to put a new game up for free every two weeks.

From now until Dec 27, it's Subnautica.
    Wow, that's an amazing free game.

It only came out of early access this year too I think

I installed, played. then i found out 6 hours had passed and i died, and there isn't an autosave.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiodome View Post
    I installed, played. then i found out 6 hours had passed and i died, and there isn't an autosave.
    RIP.

Could've sworn there was some sort of autosave every time you enter a vehicle or the escape pod though. Were you playing on hardcore by chance?

Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post
    RIP.

Could've sworn there was some sort of autosave every time you enter a vehicle or the escape pod though. Were you playing on hardcore by chance?
    And yes, there normally is a save when you enter a habitat or a vehicle, and you only lose the resources you gathered since, but plot-stuff and blueprints stay, IIRC built stuff also stays. But dying might mean that your vehicles are now far away or destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    And yes, there normally is a save when you enter a habitat or a vehicle, and you only lose the resources you gathered since, but plot-stuff and blueprints stay, IIRC built stuff also stays. But dying might mean that your vehicles are now far away or destroyed.
    Causing particularly memorable encounters.

Imagine the scenes: Teleported out of Seamoth on the way back from a quick trip to the surface to get rubber - with Cyclops 3km underground. Died pretty quickly then had to scavenge resources to build a new Seaglide & Breather from my surface base, then dive on air to 500+M, recover the Seamoth and get back on the plot.

Utterly intense and enthralling emergent gameplay.

have avoided maps/spoilers, but i would like to know: am i on a timer?

i've been wandering around poking things slowly progressing the plot, every now and then there's timed events. but recently i've enjoyed a 5 hour detour to go gardening and general base building (for no real gameplay reason, just because i like building stuff). can i carry on at my own pace or will i eventually hit a 'shit happening in 2 hours!!!' scenario where i'm not geared up because i like flowers?

have avoided maps/spoilers, but i would like to know: am i on a timer?

i've been wandering around poking things slowly progressing the plot, every now and then there's timed events. but recently i've enjoyed a 5 hour detour to go gardening and general base building (for no real gameplay reason, just because i like building stuff). can i carry on at my own pace or will i eventually hit a 'shit happening in 2 hours!!!' scenario where i'm not geared up because i like flowers?
    I don't think there's any real timed events that up the difficulty level. The only ones I can think of relate to (minor spoilers):

Spoiler:
    The radiation leak from the crashed ship gets gradually worse until you repair it (but the effects don't reach your pod IIRC)

Spoiler:
    The distress call you put out, you miss out a bit if you're not at the site in time

Spoiler:
    Also there is no timer on the Kharrak virus as a game over mechanic.