hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Subnautica: underwater survival/drowning simulator

It mentions on the wiki that maps were added (and removed) twice during development. I think beacons are plenty enough - the whole point is to get you exploring.

@ Zekk - same for me, they either bore me shitless with grind or are too terrifying. Subnautica hits the sweet spot for both factors rather well.

Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    Surely it's to keep the scanner room impactful and make you think about base locations rather than just roaming around in the cyclops knowing where everything is?
    As you've picked up the game yesterday, I'll put the answer to the scanner room into spoliers
      Spoiler:

The scanner room only reveals the location of resources, not showing you the biome boundaries or the entrance locations to the lower biomes. Although it shows a topological map, it's nowhere detailed enough to make out those (cave) entrances.

And as for the Cyclops ... it's a bitch to navigate. For simple exploration, nothing beats the Sea Moth. At least at the current stage of my game progress. I only ever used the Cyclops when I build my new two scanner bases, making it a hauler.

What's wrong with the Cyclops? It's fine to drive, you even get cameras to help you through tight spots. It's meant to be a mobile base, not a zippy get-there-fast machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Saul View Post
    What's wrong with the Cyclops? It's fine to drive, you even get cameras to help you through tight spots. It's meant to be a mobile base, not a zippy get-there-fast machine.
    I don't necessarily want it to be "zippy". And I don't mind it being bulky, but compared to the rest of Subnautica's equipment usability, it's quite awkward to handle. For example the fact that I need to look right in order to be able to click on the camera icon. Except - there may be some keyboard shortcut for using the camera that I'm not aware of. Or that one needs to run around the whole engine block, if one wants to go from the upgrade production station to the upgrade slots. Wouldn't you as a designer of such a vessel not leave a small gap to pass through to the other side instead of having to leave the engine department and cross through the command section to the other side of the engine section?

Just finished the game. Sad now. Will keep playing with the old save.

Best game I played for quite a while.

Today finishing my last exam..

Game is downloading as i write..

Gamer boner is stronk

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Jiensai View Post

In a sea of shit that is steam early access survival games it really stands out.

Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Jiensai View Post

In a sea of shit that is steam early access survival games it really stands out.
    Not only survival games, but EA in general. This is a prime example of how an Early Access game/campaign should be done by the developer.

On an unrelated note: I just happen to notice that Subnautica has a couple of mods out there: https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica. Some of them are actually heavy game changers, e.g. Lilin's Multimod, which modifies the game to be "easy mode". EasyCraft is also not to my liking.

Other are cosmetical and/or quality of life. I'm using the following three (all installed through QModManager):

- Ingame map
    - More quickslots
    - Longer locker names

After a couple of hours playing wiht those, I have not experienced any problems running the game (crashes or the like).

Maps really kinda ruin it though. I used a static one from the wiki from time to time and by the time I'd got to the end I wished I hadn't. Nice that the map mod has fog to show you where you've been and where you haven't, but IMO the beacons are the best way of 'mapping' for yourself.

You do you though ofc, just saying by the time you finish you'll be wanting more, and you get more by not knowing where everything is with pinpoint accuracy and having to mosey around looking for stuff. I'd give quite a lot to wipe my memory, start again and experience it all for the first time once more.

Unknown Worlds is a good example of a group of guys that can do early access because they had the experience/habit of continual development for 10 years in Natural Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Saul View Post
    Maps really kinda ruin it though. I used a static one from the wiki from time to time and by the time I'd got to the end I wished I hadn't. Nice that the map mod has fog to show you where you've been and where you haven't, but IMO the beacons are the best way of 'mapping' for yourself.

You do you though ofc, just saying by the time you finish you'll be wanting more, and you get more by not knowing where everything is with pinpoint accuracy and having to mosey around looking for stuff. I'd give quite a lot to wipe my memory, start again and experience it all for the first time once more.
    My main issue is unless I'm paying attention to the PDA, I sometimes miss biome transitions and don't mark where I am.

I feel like the game needs a map that you fill out, and that only fills out as you find resources. That would stop a lot of the 'oh I need this resource and this resource only, time to wiki where I find it'. Maybe a PDA/HUD upgrade?
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

To me, the lack of a map is an unneeded grind added to the game. That there isn't one, doesn't make any sense from the background story/lore angle. You've got nanobots which are capable to create a whole civilization out of thin air, your PDA constantly adds location coordinates for you to check out (based on what data without a map, if I may ask?), but can't plot a map of the areas you visited? And to add insult to injury, your scanner room not only can provide a roughly 2D map, but a 3D topological model of its surroundings.

This game is a gem otherwise, but providing no map - that's pure grind-for-the-sack-of-grind game design, IMHO.

Hell your Seaglide can do it. That's my thing, I don't want the game to just come with a pre-filled map but you should really be able to map out the world as you explore in game, even if it's a buildable upgrade. As you say, the game is a gem otherwise but that seems like a small oversight.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    My main issue is unless I'm paying attention to the PDA, I sometimes miss biome transitions and don't mark where I am.

I feel like the game needs a map that you fill out, and that only fills out as you find resources. That would stop a lot of the 'oh I need this resource and this resource only, time to wiki where I find it'. Maybe a PDA/HUD upgrade?
    Yeah had same problem, distracted by all the pretty (or scary). Music is also a good indicator of biome change. Tbh though even if you do miss the 'new biome info' PDA voiceover, most of the time it's pretty obvious when you're somewhere new. I felt the same as you re: maps to begin with and used the wiki to get an idea of where to go, but as I said above, now I quite regret using both. I wanted to avoid the 'where the fuck do I get this?' frustration only and avoided all story spoilers, but even that feels like I missed out on the real exploration. The map isn't (horizontally) that big and only one or two things are only found in very specific places - everything else is found in multiple places so I don't think that frustration factor is as big a deal as I anticipated it would be.

I'm now near the end of my second run on survival and have been making a point of exploring properly and taking risks that I didn't before. Planning on building a base in the Grand Reef or the Northern Blood Kelp zone just to see how long it will last against the nasties.

Having played for 6-ish hours, with almost 0 prior knowledge about the game, i can safely say this game is a real gem. Last year we had Prey, this year its Subnautica - a literal future legend, up there with Half Life and DeusEx1 - while you play it you feel its something unique and brilliant..

I am very pleasantly surprised. I didnt know you can tell so much tale with few voiceovers and memo here and there..

10/10 so far

A map function that's attached to the SeaMoths sonar would've been cool. Other than that, I have no complaints about this game. Does anyone know if you can switch the priority of power generation? I built two thermal plants and a bioreactor. When I first built them the bioreactor was the backup for the thermal plants. Now the bioreactor is the main and the thermal plants are the backups.

Not that I know of Procellus, more power generators just adds to the total base power and provides faster regen I think.

The way it's working at my base is the thermal plants aren't being drained until I go under 500/1000

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    To me, the lack of a map is an unneeded grind added to the game. That there isn't one, doesn't make any sense from the background story/lore angle. You've got nanobots which are capable to create a whole civilization out of thin air, your PDA constantly adds location coordinates for you to check out (based on what data without a map, if I may ask?), but can't plot a map of the areas you visited? And to add insult to injury, your scanner room not only can provide a roughly 2D map, but a 3D topological model of its surroundings.

This game is a gem otherwise, but providing no map - that's pure grind-for-the-sack-of-grind game design, IMHO.
    I guess it was a decision to remove the map to help with immersion, forcing you to try and use parts of terrain to orient yourself like your pod or the aurora, I can see where it can get frustrating though the later caves you end up exploring can be very confusing. It's the same issue with all survival games they essentially require a certain level of player immersion/disbelief to work or else you start spotting all the holes, like how terrain is specifically designed rather than naturally occuring i.e that cave is there because someone put it there, that the usual health/resource bars are either irrelevant or exploitable(the long dark hunger mechanic is the best example of this) and that there's so many ways to cheese things that it can utterly break the game like death in subnautica(outisde of hardcore) is just a free teleport home.

It's probably the fact that once i finished my first play through i decided to watch a few vids and saw some speed runners play through subnautica which kinda killed any mysticism that was left. Have to say though of any survival/sandbox game i've played subnautica is the only one so far to have any type of story actually properly work alongside the gameplay, I didn't quite get the horror vibe other people spoke of, probably because my first encounter with a reaper involved him trying to eat me, missing and then returning back to his patrol area so i knew pretty much where was safe to wander and where wasn't.