hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Subnautica: underwater survival/drowning simulator

Subnautica: underwater survival/drowning simulator

http://unknownworlds.com/subnautica/

From the makers of NS2, who got so pissed off at the toxic NS2 community that the lead developer decided to make a brand new game with zero bullets in them. It's a survival game that takes place underwater after your spaceship crash lands on an aquatic world. The lets play video below is slightly outdated but is really fun.

At one point you get a cool sub you can pilot after you build it and can put addons and such onto it, but then you get an even bigger sub to use as a mobile base that you can dock your smaller sub on. Game's still in early access and not everything is finished, but it's worth the buy now, and I hope there's a multiplayer version of this at some point.

Markiplier has over 30 letsplays of this game.

AND NOW for some OC pics of my cyclops, you can put stuff in the interior like a base:

Its a pretty cool game.

I spend a lot of time using console commands to spawn mats and building bases in the craziest places. Have a pretty sweet one close the the deepest wrecked survivor base by the Lost river entrance. Will take a SS later and post it here.

+1 really nice game. Play now for the added benefit of being able to play it again on release and feel like playing a version 2.0

Love the game. Played only one save on hardcore, makes things... interesting

Hiro Cor

Quote Originally Posted by Corwyna View Post
    Love the game. Played only one save on hardcore, makes things... interesting

that's pretty much my setup, except there's a gorge plushie sitting on the bed.

Pretty much the only Survival Game worth getting at the moment.

New update came out with scaaaaary creatures in the sea now, and huge ass monsters in the deeper parts. I started a new game and it's pretty fun. Story mode slowly getting implemented.

So I played this over the weekend and it's a good game. As it stands now there's already much to do and explore, building yourself a homebase and launching explorations in the (guesstimated) 10x10 km map with either handcrafted or well-generated terrain. The survival/building systems make sense (caveat emptor: gameplay and such influences here, stuff not done yet).
    So, since this game is early access, the simple question would be: is it worth 20€ as it is? And to me, yes it is.
    In short: game is good and surprisingly deep.
    Tanks: theBlind[URBAD] (in my heart there will always be a place for [FAIL])
    Planetside2: [UBAD]theAngelic

...and surprisingly deep.
    Pun intended?

Quote Originally Posted by theBlind View Post
    So I played this over the weekend and it's a good game. As it stands now there's already much to do and explore, building yourself a homebase and launching explorations in the (guesstimated) 10x10 km map with either handcrafted or well-generated terrain.
    I've restarted after every major patch and as far as I can tell the biomes are located in the same place but the actual terrain is generated when you start a new game, so everything will be roughly the same but a little different.

Quote Originally Posted by theBlind View Post
    10x10 km map with either handcrafted or well-generated terrain.
    Handcrafted. And confirmed most atmospheric game I've played this year.
    Hiro Cor

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Really loving this (and worth more than the asking price), but my god I really didnt need another game I need a second monitor open to the wiki to play.

I mean you basically have no idea what to do at the start unless you've watched/read a beginner's guide.

Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Really loving this (and worth more than the asking price), but my god I really didnt need another game I need a second monitor open to the wiki to play.

I mean you basically have no idea what to do at the start unless you've watched/read a beginner's guide.
    It is not that bad. Only problems I had was actually figuring out where biomes were, rest if decently covered ingame.
    Hiro Cor

I got my brand new Cyclops stuck in a deep sea cave. :/
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Canadians are usually cooler.
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase campaign journal

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Corwyna View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post

It is not that bad. Only problems I had was actually figuring out where biomes were, rest if decently covered ingame.
    Maybe im just dumb but for the first half hour I had no idea I could catch fish with my hands. For the second half hour I had no idea I could get water from a particular fish.

I also collected hundreds of (it now proves) useless resources like blue palm samples because they were right by my starting base. Not knowing what is important/useless in a game with inventory management as a core mechanic is a bitch.
    Last edited by Lallante; October 11 2016 at 11:51:04 AM.

There wouldn't be much exploration if you knew everything at the start.
      Spoiler:

(ಠ_ృ) ゛Lady Spank is the best。゛ ~ Xenuria (ಠ_ృ)

Lal has a good point, the interface doesn't do a very good job of telling you what you can make with various items. Obviously blueprints that you don't have should stay hidden (or not, maybe make that a toggle), but perhaps if item tooltips told you, in addition to nutritional value, what you can build with a given item.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Canadians are usually cooler.
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase campaign journal

Big update pushed out, expanded the story and locations of the Precursor (aliens on the planet before we show up), cleaned up a few zones and made them prettier.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post
    Big update pushed out, expanded the story and locations of the Precursor (aliens on the planet before we show up), cleaned up a few zones and made them prettier.
    This is one of the best vr games atm on market.