hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: Subnautica: underwater survival/drowning simulator

Built my first Lost River base last night. 750m down on a thermal vent just outside of the Juvenile Ghost Leviathan's range.
    Lots of shuffling to get all the bits in place but there's now a scanning room, moon pool and all the parts for both thermal and nuclear reactors down there. Oh and a marblemelon tray. party time ?
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    Oh and a marblemelon tray. party time ?
    Not before the Lantern tree deco is up and running ... and don't forget to provide some water.

wait water? Can't i just overproduce marblemelons and eat them O.o

You absolutely can, but I find it's best to have a water purifier there as well. Just in case. Marblemelons are bulky in your inventory, as are bulbo tree seeds (the other good source of water), and it's not like you'll be lacking for power - there's a thermal vent at the back end of the cave that you can drop 4 or 5 thermal reactors on, plus a shit ton of Uraninite locally for a nuclear reactor.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    You absolutely can, but I find it's best to have a water purifier there as well. Just in case. Marblemelons are bulky in your inventory, as are bulbo tree seeds (the other good source of water), and it's not like you'll be lacking for power - there's a thermal vent at the back end of the cave that you can drop 4 or 5 thermal reactors on, plus a shit ton of Uraninite locally for a nuclear reactor.
    Or you can just have Reginald powered base Had no issues whatsoever running whole base on them and one double tank is infinite supply.
    Hiro Cor

Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    check check clear.

A spare cupboard of both the Cyclops and DrrpBaseOe is now stocked with water and fsh,,,
    and fuck lava./.// eeep.

Ok, how do i deal with those energy sucking bugs short of popping out every now and again and smooshing them ?

Had to park my Cyclops outside of a bad neighborhood and simply removed the batteries to ensure it had charge when I get back.

Shield generator. Burns 'em right off.

Or have a thermal generator, and then it'll take dozens of them to overwhelm the natural regen in the hot areas.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

You can remove the power cells and they'll disperse. You won't have oxygen while you're onboard but it will save your battery life.

Spoiler:
    Found the buried lava base eventually dodging the sea dragon. Directions to the primary facility, ion cell blueprints and a bunch of kyanite in by pack i've teleported back up to the surface to build enough bits to get em through the lava zone.

Shopping list includes loads of hydrochloric acid to make the Thermal + shield cyclops modules, some spare computer chips and a bunch of Ion Cells for the Sub.

Tried one foray up the Lava river or whatever it's called without them yesterday and about 5 minutes in was nearly dead, out of juice and regretting my poor life choices.

I guess it's possible to gameover down there with a bad save and an unrecoverable position. That would totally suck. I'm deeply, badly regretting taking the fabricator out of the Cyclops for instance, though there are cupboards full of food and water in the SUb i could maybe pack into the PRAWN and make a break for the subsurface base. WELP time.

Ok, how do i deal with those energy sucking bugs short of popping out every now and again and smooshing them ?

Had to park my Cyclops outside of a bad neighborhood and simply removed the batteries to ensure it had charge when I get back.
    I'd go with thermal generator*), if available. The shield gen also sucks quite some power from the cells.

Also: make sure you turn both your engines AND silent running OFF, when not driving the Cyclops. They both suck energy, even if the sub sits still. And turning off the engines does NOT turn off (the energy consumption of) silent running.

Not sure if any at all, and if that's the case, how many energy is consumed by the lights. If any, I at least didn't experience a notable drop in the cells' charge.

*)
      Spoiler:

The "endgame" takes place in a complete active vulcanic environment, so the Cyclops's powercells have a constant recharge there.

stupid work I want to get home, fit my new shit to the sub and find the PCF....

this is the best game man. i've feeling of impending sadness as Nepten is built and it draws to a close.

stupid work I want to get home, fit my new shit to the sub and find the PCF....

this is the best game man. i've feeling of impending sadness as Nepten is built and it draws to a close.
    If the Neptun is built and you haven't already done so, I suggest 3 things you do in preparation:
      Spoiler:

1) Move around a last time and make some cool screen shots (F11).
    2) Come or look up a fitting/memorable quote
    3) Add some cool items into your inventory, some which would have made you really happy early-/mid-game, but which are not too overpowered

Because, in case you didn't know...
      Spoiler:

... all the time capsule(s) you might have found during your playthrough were dropped by players when their Neptun launched. You'll be asked to also fill a time capsule with those 3 items listed above. That caught me by surprise and I didn't want to drop some useless junk from my inventory into the capsule nor did I want to put in all endgame items, as I thought this would take away too much of the "achieved something" feeling. And I had not taken any screen shot at all.

I found a time capsule with a stasis gun and two ion batteries quite early on. Quite useful but not game breaking.

I don't remember exactly, but I put in the thermablade, the compass and 1 piece each of two midgame materials (ruby and diamond, IIRC) where I was like "Sheesh, if I only had one more of <x>, I could build that ..."

as my thermoblade came from one, it'd only be kind to put it back in. maybe a marblemelon seed. Like the idea of the compass too, that was a prick to build.

And finished.
    God damn what a game.

FWIW, the Cyclops lights are 0 power drain, both the internals AND the externals. Its a bit odd, but really handy around wrecks when you first get her, and they'll be off all the time anyway once you've had her a while and go DERPER.

And yes, a bad save in endgame can almost game over you, but you should still be able to spawn back on the pod and start over, eventually getting your wrecks and lost stuff back, so while it sucks, its not total helldeath, although might suck extra hard if you managed to get all of your tablets eaten by something big and bitey.

And finished.
    God damn what a game.
    I honestly admit that I almost cried manly tears ...
      Spoiler:

... when the Sea Emporer mother sat down after her offspring came to live, sighed a farewell and peacefully died.

After reading this thread I decided to give this game a chance and I made the mistake of plugging my VR headset. After hours playing I had to remove it (mostly because the discomfort of wearing it for long time). The feeling of playing it on my monitor was a major disappointment (everything looks tiny and boring despite having an IPS 27inch screen)...

If you have a chance, play this game in VR, it's so goddamm good...
    Last edited by Kerdrak; April 30 2018 at 12:36:11 PM.