hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Subnautica: underwater survival/drowning simulator (soon with freezing)

Oh god, the Sunbeam... pretty sure the voices for the Sunbeam captain and lackey are a famous(ish) youtube duo. Forget who though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiki
    Avery Quinn is the captain of the Sunbeam.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiki
    Trivia

Avery Quinn is voiced by Tony Porter, a friend of one of the game's developers, Scott Thunelius.
    Source.
    Hiro Cor

I went exploring quite a bit when I first played and treated it as a "survival" game but on every iteration/patch I've found myself speeding to the cyclops so I can toot around and do stuff. I should get more into base-building but I've found cyclops to handle most of what I need.

I never used the Cyclops. By the time i actually found the final piece of blueprint (the one that looks exactly like a background prop WHEYOO) i already had a basic exploration base built for self sufficiency away from the surface down at the bottom of the underground river. The giant shark egg tree. Good spot! was an absolute mission to haul shit there with a seamoth and i was really on the limit of what i could survive depth wise but once i got that foothold i just used the prawn suit to go deep. Couldnt be arsed mining the gear for a full set of alien power cores for the sub as i assumed it would be much more cumbersome and likely to die to a beast than the suit.

Gonna give a new playthrough and maybe rush cyclops. Can you switch from exploration mode to survival once youve cheezed an awesome deep base without resource hunting?
    Last edited by Duckslayer; April 7 2018 at 12:42:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I never used the Cyclops. By the time i actually found the final piece of blueprint (the one that looks exactly like a background prop WHEYOO) i already had a basic exploration base built for self sufficiency away from the surface down at the bottom of the underground river. The giant shark egg tree. Good spot! was an absolute mission to haul shit there with a seamoth and i was really on the limit of what i could survive depth wise but once i got that foothold i just used the prawn suit to go deep. Couldnt be arsed mining the gear for a full set of alien power cores for the sub as i assumed it would be much more cumbersome and likely to die to a beast than the suit.

Gonna give a new playthrough and maybe rush cyclops. Can you switch from exploration mode to survival once youve cheezed an awesome deep base without resource hunting?
    Why not just use the console?
    http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Debug_Console_Commands

If I ever replay it (actually unlikely, really), I'll rush prawn with cargo upgrades rather than cyclops.

Its faster, more manouverable, and can actually defend itself against anything if you know how to drive it (but you do lose one arm to the grapple to be able to do that, and need bases all over to refit the arms to suit your needs). Still just a lot more me, I never even realised until watching youtubs vids that you can just freeze to get the big stuff to leave you alone in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post

Yea you can, although I'm past the survival part once you get fruits/trees off the island and put them inside the cyclops. Getting it as a mobile all-in-one base is one of the reasons why I rush it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody_Holme View Post
    If I ever replay it (actually unlikely, really), I'll rush prawn with cargo upgrades rather than cyclops.

Its faster, more manouverable, and can actually defend itself against anything if you know how to drive it (but you do lose one arm to the grapple to be able to do that, and need bases all over to refit the arms to suit your needs). Still just a lot more me, I never even realised until watching youtubs vids that you can just freeze to get the big stuff to leave you alone in it.
    Yea, turning the engine off stops monsters from attacking it (except possibly the ghost leviathans).

Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post
    I went exploring quite a bit when I first played and treated it as a "survival" game but on every iteration/patch I've found myself speeding to the cyclops so I can toot around and do stuff. I should get more into base-building but I've found cyclops to handle most of what I need.
    I started a fresh replay this weekend, which I'm gonna "dedicate" to fancy base building. Doing the story again because both of *awesome* and triggering new stuff to unlock, avoiding the console.

There's some fancy mods re. base ambiente over at nexusmods.com, which I'm gonna try out with this one. Already built the first base waaaay bigger than needed, in preparation of multi alien containment towers.

No agressive fauna will attack the Cyclops if you turn the engine off. Ghost leviathans even stop their attack run if you do it mid-attack.

Honestly I wish I didn't know that, because it completely broke the end-game for me. I hope they find some way to rebalance it to be honest, because it's kinda farcial sitting there with your engines off, looking at a leviathan 20-30m away and knowing all you have to do is wait for him to move away because there's no way he could've seen the 40ft submarine because I turned the engine off, and while the engine's off the energy is redirected to the best damn cloaking system ever invented.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    No agressive fauna will attack the Cyclops if you turn the engine off. Ghost leviathans even stop their attack run if you do it mid-attack.

Honestly I wish I didn't know that, because it completely broke the end-game for me. I hope they find some way to rebalance it to be honest, because it's kinda farcial sitting there with your engines off, looking at a leviathan 20-30m away and knowing all you have to do is wait for him to move away because there's no way he could've seen the 40ft submarine because I turned the engine off, and while the engine's off the energy is redirected to the best damn cloaking system ever invented.
    I think the reason they attack the cyclops is the cavitation from the turbine on the back causes really uncomfortable noises (much like having to listen to a car with blown out subwoofers drive by). Rigging it to run silent only reduces the attack distance for leviathans, though. I understand the reasoning behind having the engine off (don't want to turn your cyclops off and come back later to find it exploded to a shark).

Well that was a colossal fuckup....

Crashed my Cyclops into a base moonpool without noticing, but set the sub on fire behind a full storage locker & couldn't extinguish the fire without deconstructing locker, which was full o fshit, and couldn't easily move about because the subs on fire.

Extinguisher out of juice - no problem my abse is over there i'll go make a few extinguishers and.... shit it'd flooded and on low power. *fixes base*. By the time I was back to the cyclops, fire had spread to the entry hatch and killed me dead every time I reentered.

Alt-F4!

Job for tonight: Build a fire suppression system.
    Last edited by Itiken; April 17 2018 at 07:25:44 AM.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Cyclops damage is repaired from outside the sub...

Quote Originally Posted by Saul View Post

Can Cyclops be completely destroyed, like Seamoth?
    Hiro Cor

can you stop it from being on fire from the outside ?

Quote Originally Posted by Corwyna View Post
      Spoiler:

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Corwyna View Post
    Yeah. It'll let you loot stored mats etc. from the wreck, but you lose the hull & all fitted upgrades and it becomes a permanent wreck.

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    can you stop it from being on fire from the outside ?
    My bad, read that as trying to repair through the locker, not put out the fire. You'd still have to do that from the inside I assume. Think it's because I've never had a fire on the cyclops without a corresponding hole in the exterior. Apologies!

's cool man <3

i'd built a load of lockers in the narrow entry corridor. in hindsight it's not a great idea as the locker stopped me form being able to fully extinguish the last bit of fire

I wish there was a mode in this that was more open ended but not 100% freedom mode. Like survival without the story stuff and no need to go harvest all the stupid fragments to get access to tech. Just pure survival with only resources and the environment as restrictions. Basically how it was in early alpha but with all the goodies they've added since.

You might be able to achieve something like this with the various debug console commands, e.g. "unlockall" gives you all the blueprints, "ency all" all database entries. The story will still trigger, I guess, but you can ignore it that way. Perhaps with the exception of the radiation part.