hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Subnautica: underwater survival/drowning simulator (soon with freezing)

Quote Originally Posted by Saul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dominus View Post
    I started another base, closer to bottom, to get to more mats easier.. so i found an edge of the cliff, where there is a deep narrow trench and put a Room and scanner room there, 100m deep, so i still get some sun....

Im not looking at online maps, because muh immersion, so i dont know what its called..

Anyway, due to my lack of deep water fobia, its not scary as it should be/is for most people, but game is brilliant.. Fucking brilliant.. Looking forward to reaching even deeper..
    Sounds like the Blood Kelp trench. Good spot, I usually put mine a few hundred metres away near the cave system one of the lifepods directed you towards.

Avoiding maps is definitely a plus imo, but do carry a beacon or two with you at all times so you can mark areas/stuff you find. Will make navigation a ton easier without spoiling the exploration.
    Also, you dont need a beacon for your new base if you build scanner room, because camera drones are visible on HUD.

One thing i wish i knew before playing is - if you sit you can browse your PDA without starving and thirsting so fucking fast. Those meters stop.

One thing i wish i knew before playing is - if you sit you can browse your PDA without starving and thirsting so fucking fast. Those meters stop.
    While we're at it: I wish I knew that using the blade, one could cut of seeds from lots of plants (Dee sea shrooms, Gel packs) and use them in the planters. So once you've got hold of even one - and assumed you've got the planter blueprints, those floral resources are no longer an issue. You grow them right in-/outside your base.

smuggo
    Having trouble acquiring stalker teeth. Anyone got any tips for harvesting them? Beat a couple of the fuckers to death before aquiring a stasis rifle in a time capsule but even that doesn't help.

Teeth have a chance to drop off when they pick up metal salvage, which they love to chew. You can either follow them around and watch for the teeth, or set up a pile of 3 or 4 metal salvage in some kelp forests and just wait.

Alternatively the scanner room can find them if you have it.

Unfortunately you can't just beat them to death and steal their teeth, which would've been more badass.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Scanner room was preferred option for me, they can be rather hard to spot. But you don't need more than 5 of them in whole game total?

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    While we're at it: I wish I knew that using the blade, one could cut of seeds from lots of plants (Dee sea shrooms, Gel packs) and use them in the planters. So once you've got hold of even one - and assumed you've got the planter blueprints, those floral resources are no longer an issue. You grow them right in-/outside your base.
    It took a wiki to find out about gel sacks being harvestable. I also didn't realize till rather late in game you can right click seed harvest melons. With melons and Chinese potatoes you don't even need to cook fish or water recycler. I had one growbed in submarine to completely cover my needs. Over all I don't think you need more than 2 growbeds, or just 1 if you grow stuff in alien container.

I didn't know that
    Hiro Cor

Yeah I've got a ton of plant pots in my Cyclops spread between bulbo trees and lantern trees and I don't really ever need to stop and catch fish. I still have water purifiers in my two bases just for carryable water.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    Having trouble acquiring stalker teeth. Anyone got any tips for harvesting them? Beat a couple of the fuckers to death before aquiring a stasis rifle in a time capsule but even that doesn't help.
    What Zekk said re. Stalkers.

There are a few locations where a couple of Stalkers "fight" over metal salvage pieces, one taking it away from the other. Without having done a statistical analysis, my gut feeling/memory thinks that in those places I found teeth more frequently than elsewhere.

I found them most frequently in the kelp forests next to the safe shallows, but my initial spawning point was very near the border so I never had to look very far for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    Grassy kelp thingy biome, find piles of metal salvage, look under them on sea bed for broken stalker teeth. I find this is an early game issue, then once oyu have your eye in for where they appear and what they look like, you get more than you'll ever need. Use a scanner room if struggling (with HUD update to get the locations highlighted)
    You can drop 3 metal pieces under a staler and theyll start juggling it. Watch them, listen for a super loud "CRACK" and thats the tooth dropping off them. Can also fly a camera drone to the stalkers and get the same effect.

Finished this the other day. Didnt get the finishing achievements sadly but whatever. Best single player exploration experience ive had in years. The underworld biomes man. GOOD LOOOOOOOOOOOOORD

Subnautica update 84 is out, the final 2 acheievements should be unbugged.

Patch notes:

Spoiler:
    Crushing Bugs

Since launch, we have been prototyping potential Subnautica expansions, working on Xbox One launch, and working on tidying up some of the more glaring bugs in the Steam 1.0 release.

Today we released an update that includes a bunch of that tidying up. Here's the list of changes:

* Main menu button texts update correctly when switching languages
    * In-game menu button text colors fixed
    * F8 panel fully translated
    * Cyclops flooding leak indicators now clearly outside of the hull
    * Controller navigation and selection boxes fixed
    * Builder menu usable with swapped mouse buttons
    * Lifepod fabricator lighting fixed
    * Cyclops hatch door collider fixed
    * Disallow poster placement where wall lockers are disallowed
    * Non-localized text removed from color customization terminal
    * Physics bugs with ion cubes and precursor keys fixed
    * End-game achievements now trigger
    * Lost river creatures now immune to brine
    * Player mask now correctly lit
    * Can not despawn Aurora by building a base next to it anymore
    * Seamoth hatch animation fixed
    * Changing quality settings in game reminds player to restart the game
    * Time capsule UI simplyfied
    * Pathfinder tool recipe adjusted
    * Entering exosuit while sprinting fixed
    Last edited by Corwyna; March 8 2018 at 03:09:17 PM.
    Hiro Cor

Some people are saying you may need to build a second rocket if you get the 'rocket not ready to launch' thing despite all the switches being pulled etc.

Last night i FINALLY found fucking cyclops engine fragments (scattered around behind Aurora wreck) and i built the damn thing..

MMMMMMMMMM, now just to pimp it up like a fucking drivable base of operations..

Should i build and use Prawn suit, even if i dont have grappling arm and drill? Without drill it seems kind of pointless tbh

It's still worth having - the fists do a lot of damage and it can take a lot of punishment, can make exploring a lot less stressful.

Still avoid warpers, though.

Last night i FINALLY found fucking cyclops engine fragments (scattered around behind Aurora wreck) and i built the damn thing..

MMMMMMMMMM, now just to pimp it up like a fucking drivable base of operations..

Should i build and use Prawn suit, even if i dont have grappling arm and drill? Without drill it seems kind of pointless tbh
    Prawn suit is essential for going below 900m when exploring places, as the seamoth cant get below that. TBH i never found the grappling arm that useful. I know there is a fast travel method with it, and combined with the jetpack boost this is awesome but hardly necessary. Mining arm will be needed at some point.

Prawn suits became my primary method of transport in the lost river biomes and below. Heat recharging prawn suit in the CENTRE OF THE EARTH? yeah boiiiiiiiiiiiii

Thanks to this easter holiday i'v finally had time to put enough consecutive hours into this game to make progress. Now, as you know, it's phenominal but those feelings as you start to unlock decent exploration options and instead of staggering around at 50m nearly drowning every minute you are hopping in / out of the Seamoth at 250m dodging evil things.

So much Fun!

Feel like I've missed a bunch of stuff in the start area though - time to go and have a proper look around.

Roughly how long is the game? I'm about 5-6 hours in at the moment and just got lead towards the floating island rendevous point. Hope there are dozens of hours to go.
    Last edited by Itiken; April 1 2018 at 09:00:33 AM.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    Thanks to this easter holiday i'v finally had time to put enough consecutive hours into this game to make progress. Now, as you know, it's phenominal but those feelings as you start to unlock decent exploration options and instead of staggering around at 50m nearly drowning every minute you are hopping in / out of the Seamoth at 250m dodging evil things.

So much Fun!

Feel like I've missed a bunch of stuff in the start area though - time to go and have a proper look around.

Roughly how long is the game? I'm about 5-6 hours in at the moment and just got lead towards the floating island rendevous point. Hope there are dozens of hours to go.
    I spent nearly 50 hours in the game and did just small amounts of basebuilding.
    Didn't thoroughly explore all areas either, despite screaming OCD telling me to.

As a side note - I strongly recommend listening to and reading all the lore stuff you find in the game.
    There isn't an awful lot of it, and it'd definitely worth it imo.

Awesome.
    here's a great tip for finding resources:

Goto wiki +_ steam forums and look for advice on tracking down XXX. Tab back to the game and look left. it's there.

Edit: oops spent 5 hours building, flooding, breaking, improving and rebuilding base. Game is lit.
    Last edited by Itiken; April 1 2018 at 11:25:04 PM.

Thx to Eastern, I finally managed to finish it for the first time.

Oh boy what a joy! I will for sure give it another go, abusing it as a seabase building simulator. And also I still encountered two*) what I think are obvious bugs with the current version, they didn't bother me or somehow disturbed my game experience. I'd say even the opposite is true.

And wow, that ending ...
      Spoiler:

I can't remember a game's story line where the ending was so colossally sad (death of the Sea Emperor Mother) and within "minutes" (most likely more than minutes, but it felt that way) you happen to enjoy the Neptune's takeoff.

*) (Spoilered because it may take away some exploring fun)
      Spoiler:

Somehow I managed to drag both a Crabsquid and a Ghost Leviathan to the Mushroom forest. Both happened after I saved in the Lost River, loaded the next day and went back to the Mushroom forest. The Crabsquid was even "attached" to the Cyclops for a while, raising a permanent creature attack alarm, but it actually didn't do anything. So did the Ghost Leviathan. I could approach and scan him, drive around him without being attacked ... at first. A few saves later, he went after me all of a sudden. Oh boy what an Adrenalin rush that was.

I seem to have got stuck in Base builder mode. Managed to set up a gel sack farm last night so thermal power & water purification is a go. The marblemelon factory is thriving, and i've all the other tools necessary now.

Must do some plot soon, but keep getting distracted exploring the Pink Mushroom cave directly under this base.
    Last edited by Itiken; April 4 2018 at 07:53:56 AM.

WoW. plot!
      Spoiler:

Sunbeam is coming down but nowhere near the end of the game so what's going on here.
      Spoiler:
    Oh Oh Oh a massive alien base and 20 minutes to go until the sunbeam arrives lets have a wander around.
      Spoiler:
    "defense systems still active" - oh lets go outside to watch the fireworks

THis is a nice spot. here comes the rescue ship.

well. shit.

totally impressive all around. and I activated the teleporter. Woo.