hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: Git - what's the consensus on best commit practice?

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Running a script after every pull is what you use hooks for normally. You only need to run it once manually to set up the hook locally, after that it's hooked in and can run every time. Of course you lose the promoting refactoring to skip running a script thing.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm not sure how much impact I can have on them to change the way their code is structured but if I give them a few options and show what extra work each involves then hopefully they'll figure it out for themselves.

So as part of my role I'm doing a lot more consultancy and getting people onto VSTS from whatever they were on before. Mostly this involves moving from something to Git, which has its various fun problems associated with it.

The other thing I'm doing now is giving basic git training. Which isn't too bad, I know the basics myself and the main concepts to get across but I'm wondering if people have suggestions for things that are done wrong far too often that need to be stressed more to people who are new to git? Branching is a big one, especially from VCS where it's not a simple operation, what a commit is and when to do it seems to be another I've found in the 1 session I've done so far. I've got at least another 2 to do in the near future and no doubt a lot more.

Only one here to predict a win for God Emperor
    Besides never commit directly to the main branches?

Do not allow people to force push changes to the remote repository. If they need to change something they fucked up and pushed it is pretty much always better to revert in a new commit.
    Are you an engineer? -- Quack

you programmers think you are hot shit

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting

Quote Originally Posted by Rakshasa The Cat View Post
    Besides never commit directly to the main branches?

Do not allow people to force push changes to the remote repository. If they need to change something they fucked up and pushed it is pretty much always better to revert in a new commit.
    Yeah, I'm pushing for branch security through VSTS so you can't push to master and everything is handled with PRs, probably even the merges from feature branches into develop.

Quote Originally Posted by 56k Lagman View Post
    Because we are.

Because we are.
    Yeah well maybe you are but I make a decent living from NOT being a programmer how about that

I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting

Yeah well maybe you are but I make a decent living from NOT being a programmer how about that
    Bet you die ever day you wake up and realize you do nothing to improve society in general.

Bet you die ever day you wake up and realize you do nothing to improve society in general.
    jokes on you mate every day I wake up and remember that sentience is a curse not a blessing and that no matter how far we stretch as a species across the galaxy there will never be any true meaning behind it

phoneposting

jokes on you mate every day I wake up and remember that sentience is a curse not a blessing and that no matter how far we stretch as a species across the galaxy there will never be any true meaning behind it
    Yeah, except I'll know my time here will keep bits flipping for decades after I'm dead.

you wont know though buddy because you'll be dead just like the rest of us

phoneposting

That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
    meh

Branch-driven workflows (think GitFlow) are passť now. We've gone full circle to patch-driven, gerrit-mediated workflows, aka Linus was right all along.