hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
Results 101 to 114 of 114

Thread: Git - what's the consensus on best commit practice?

  1. #101
    Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    NL fuck yeah
    Posts
    2,870
    Running a script after every pull is what you use hooks for normally. You only need to run it once manually to set up the hook locally, after that it's hooked in and can run every time. Of course you lose the promoting refactoring to skip running a script thing.

  2. #102
    Donor halbarad's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    4,645
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'm not sure how much impact I can have on them to change the way their code is structured but if I give them a few options and show what extra work each involves then hopefully they'll figure it out for themselves.

  3. #103
    Donor halbarad's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    4,645
    So as part of my role I'm doing a lot more consultancy and getting people onto VSTS from whatever they were on before. Mostly this involves moving from something to Git, which has its various fun problems associated with it.

    The other thing I'm doing now is giving basic git training. Which isn't too bad, I know the basics myself and the main concepts to get across but I'm wondering if people have suggestions for things that are done wrong far too often that need to be stressed more to people who are new to git? Branching is a big one, especially from VCS where it's not a simple operation, what a commit is and when to do it seems to be another I've found in the 1 session I've done so far. I've got at least another 2 to do in the near future and no doubt a lot more.

  4. #104
    Rakshasa The Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18, 2011
    Location
    Only one here to predict a win for God Emperor
    Posts
    11,787
    Besides never commit directly to the main branches?

    Do not allow people to force push changes to the remote repository. If they need to change something they fucked up and pushed it is pretty much always better to revert in a new commit.
    Are you an engineer? -- Quack

  5. #105
    Mallet Head Donor 56k Lagman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5, 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    3,943
    you programmers think you are hot shit

    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

    phoneposting

  6. #106
    Donor halbarad's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    4,645
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakshasa The Cat View Post
    Besides never commit directly to the main branches?

    Do not allow people to force push changes to the remote repository. If they need to change something they fucked up and pushed it is pretty much always better to revert in a new commit.
    Yeah, I'm pushing for branch security through VSTS so you can't push to master and everything is handled with PRs, probably even the merges from feature branches into develop.

  7. #107
    Rakshasa The Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18, 2011
    Location
    Only one here to predict a win for God Emperor
    Posts
    11,787
    Quote Originally Posted by 56k Lagman View Post
    you programmers think you are hot shit
    Because we are.
    Are you an engineer? -- Quack

  8. #108
    Mallet Head Donor 56k Lagman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5, 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    3,943
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakshasa The Cat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 56k Lagman View Post
    you programmers think you are hot shit
    Because we are.
    Yeah well maybe you are but I make a decent living from NOT being a programmer how about that

    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

    phoneposting

  9. #109
    Rakshasa The Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18, 2011
    Location
    Only one here to predict a win for God Emperor
    Posts
    11,787
    Quote Originally Posted by 56k Lagman View Post
    Yeah well maybe you are but I make a decent living from NOT being a programmer how about that
    Bet you die ever day you wake up and realize you do nothing to improve society in general.
    Are you an engineer? -- Quack

  10. #110
    Mallet Head Donor 56k Lagman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5, 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    3,943
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakshasa The Cat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 56k Lagman View Post
    Yeah well maybe you are but I make a decent living from NOT being a programmer how about that
    Bet you die ever day you wake up and realize you do nothing to improve society in general.
    jokes on you mate every day I wake up and remember that sentience is a curse not a blessing and that no matter how far we stretch as a species across the galaxy there will never be any true meaning behind it

    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

    phoneposting

  11. #111
    Rakshasa The Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18, 2011
    Location
    Only one here to predict a win for God Emperor
    Posts
    11,787
    Quote Originally Posted by 56k Lagman View Post
    jokes on you mate every day I wake up and remember that sentience is a curse not a blessing and that no matter how far we stretch as a species across the galaxy there will never be any true meaning behind it
    Yeah, except I'll know my time here will keep bits flipping for decades after I'm dead.
    Are you an engineer? -- Quack

  12. #112
    Mallet Head Donor 56k Lagman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5, 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    3,943
    you wont know though buddy because you'll be dead just like the rest of us

    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

    phoneposting

  13. #113
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    7,460
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
    meh

  14. #114

    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    4,895
    Branch-driven workflows (think GitFlow) are passť now. We've gone full circle to patch-driven, gerrit-mediated workflows, aka Linus was right all along.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •