hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [HOW2PLAY] Solo Roaming in Assault Frigates

I honestly find people underestimate underdogs quite frequently. Not that you don't also get those who will blob anything. Roaming paths can be just as important and regions attract different play styles.
      Spoiler:

(ಠ_ృ) ゛Lady Spank is the best。゛ ~ Xenuria (ಠ_ృ)

m8, your last killboard activity is from 2014

Folks are way more likely throw a ship at an AF over a Magus or Hecate. You'd be a fool to think otherwise.

Will you still get blobbed? Sure. But Larry in his Sabre is more likely to 'tackle' your Wolf than your Hecate

Sent from my HTC One M9
    Quote Originally Posted by Frug View Post
    Prom is right and you're dumb.
    Latest Video - The Inner Zone
    YouTube - LiveStream

Quote Originally Posted by n0th View Post
    m8, your last killboard activity is from 2014
    True, but That changes nothing as far as basic psychology goes. In not trying to imply knowledge of current game meta.just human nature.
      Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Folks are way more likely throw a ship at an AF over a Magus or Hecate. You'd be a fool to think otherwise.

Will you still get blobbed? Sure. But Larry in his Sabre is more likely to 'tackle' your Wolf than your Hecate

Sent from my HTC One M9
    Thats only really true for the 1v1 scenarios,. If you ever fight anything where you have to seperate them, fight multiple people at once, draw tackle of gatecamps and so on they will go for you anyways, which is most fight if you arent in fw lowsec, same if theres is link or implants in play (i.e a linked comet will try an af aswell as a cd or a hecate). People will try to be lame to you anyways, and they will engage anyways - by flying a ship wich actually is good when you get blobbed you just do better overall.

Sure, a lone retribution might not go for for a magus but might try an ishkur but the second that ret has a friend he will go for both, and the magus just will do better then. Only the truely broken ships (svipul, confessor) might get people to reconsider, and even there its rare.

To get the shiny but crap factor you have to fly truely bad stuff, like the cruor.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    I see you have read nietzsche's little known work "beyond boobs and butts".

I don't think it's that cut and dry.
    You are supposed to anticipate and, ideally, know what you're going to be fighting. That's kind of a big deal when soloing.

It's a crapshoot if you've engaged a target only to have people drop on you after committing.
    That's not a drawback for AFs, that is just how it is. Sometimes you luck out and it's a bunch of things you can tank or draw off, and sometimes it's not.
    It doesn't matter what you're flying, from T1 frigate to Marauder.

However, I will argue that Command Destroyers & TDs are more likely to draw the attention of scarier *backup* ships than AFs.
    YouTube - LiveStream

But they dont, which is the key. People dont change ships that much (often they cant cause they arent where their stuff is), if theyll undock a caracal for your enyo once its tackled theyll also undock that for a magus or hecate (most times too for a svipul, although that is probably the only one people reship for), the difference is that a hecate or magus easily deal with the tackler and get out or kill the backup while the AF just is screwed.

The myth that you get more fights in an af then in a CD or non svipul t3d is, well, a myth. Ive roamed in both, t3ds or gds > afs so much, you actually get more fight in reality in them cause you can engage more stuff.

I stopped solo roaming when you'd turn up in an enyo and within 5 minutes there were 3 RLML caracals on grid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

The underdog thing only works if ppl know the ship is shit. It doesn't work if ppl can't even remember it or last they saw it it was still decent.

Everyone knows the rifter is shit, everyone knows the rupture is shit. Pilgrim, punisher, drake, etc. You get the point. Those ships will get ppl cocky. AFs as a whole, nope.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    I stopped solo roaming when you'd turn up in an enyo and within 5 minutes there were 3 RLML caracals on grid.

Quote Originally Posted by Sp4m View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    This is also an example of why roaming with links is so much easier then without, people always assume that flying linked makes you take longer to get fights and people run away more and that dragging around the link alt is an extreme chore.

The truth is that if you wanna roam with the most success without the need to actually roam far, you get the most fotm ship, get links, you either go the super fag way which is using generally good ships in cheap fits or you buy implants and fly with moderate bling. Then you engage everything, so you are in your svipul and 3 rlml caracals land atop of the af you have tackled, so you kill the af - then kill the caracals, them kill the 2 orthrus' they reship to afterwards and when the finally bring out the hardcounter you just run away. This means with a truesolo enyo or wolf or something you roam 20 jumps to get 1 gf and 3 traps you evade, with the svipul you roam 4 jumps and get 5 fights.

To steal a video from a tusker kill of the month thread (im assuming that ok since its pretty much public anyways), (made by switch (<3)) which is terrible in every way, but shows what happens when you fly with approach f1 in pvp and arent in a af (or a deimos ) but in a fotm ship with links/crystals. If he was in a non fotm ship he would have gotten the fight as well, but he just would have died.

People are lame and most times will try to trap you, so you just bring something that kills the bait and the trap. If you get to the point where you can engage the obvious cyno bait in top belt and get out ok eve suddenly becomes very easy.

I borrowed a link alt a few times and tbh I just didn't enjoy babysitting links around when 'soloing'. At that point the extra hassle meant I may as well just bring a couple of mates along
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Yeah, eve obviously is better with people rather then solo. Solo sucks, you really shouldnt solo. Its unreal how much better eve is with 1 or 2 friends rather then solo.

wew lad

Let's compare a horribly horribly horribly broken ship to AFs, and argue the results.
    Get out. The ship is by far the most broken ship in the game. To even try to use it as an argument completely discredits you.
    How about using another T3D or CD for your comparison. Hell, what about an Interdictor?

A Hecate, Confessor, or Jackdaw can't do what a Svipul does.
    None of the CDs can do what a Svipul does.
    None of the Interdictors can do what a Svipul does.

So why the fuck would you try to compare an AF to one?
    The argument of cost and efficiency is a fucking moot point. Rather than just exploiting it, you (and everyone else) should be screaming from the fucking rooftops to get that piece of trash nerfed into the dirt.

There is no question that there may be better options to use.
    That isn't what this thread is about. This is about solo roaming in ASSAULT FRIGATES.
    If you want to promote or suggest flying something other than an AF, I suggest you make your own thread about it.

I can't argue for the pussy nature of 90% of the people playing nowadays, but I can only argue for what I experience when flying AFs.
    Hell, do you ever stop to think that if people can expect you to use links with fancy pimp setups, that they will blob to overcome those?
    I'd say the vast majority of Svips (or T3D for that matter) being flown are loaded with faction or pirate mods. That's free isk to kill.

There are only a handful of problems with AFs, and I'd say 90% of them have to do with devs drinking gasoline when working.

- T3Ds largely trounce AFs, and the Svipul is beyond broken. This is not an AF problem.
    - RLMLs are absolutely broken, and need to be culled. This is not an AF problem.
    - Instalocking is rampant, and AFs can't instawarp, so that must mean they are bad. This is not an AF problem.
    - Faction/Pirate pimped ships are much better, especially with implants & links. This isn't an AF problem, as demonstrated by the introduction of more dumb implants and the delay of the promised link nerf.
    - AFs are somewhat slow, so catching targets can be tricky. This IS an AF issue, but not a deal breaker.
    - You can't oversize AB them, so they're bad. Get the fuck out of here.
    - People think AFs are bad because they are used to be spoonfed kills w/ OP ships. That's not an AF problem.
    Last edited by prometheus; July 25 2016 at 07:37:03 PM.
    YouTube - LiveStream

this is fhc, nothing ever really stayes on topic. The matter of the fact is that the how to of roaming assault frigates is to sell them and buy svipuls instead unless you go for 1v1s in fw low, then buy gds instead.

Also, put this:

- T3Ds largely trounce AFs, and the Svipul is beyond broken. This is not an AF problem.
    - RLMLs are absolutely broken, and need to be culled. This is not an AF problem.
    - Instalocking is rampant, and AFs can't instawarp, so that must mean they are bad. This is not an AF problem.
    - Faction/Pirate pimped ships are much better, especially with implants & links. This isn't an AF problem, as demonstrated by the introduction of more dumb implants and the delay of the promised link nerf.
    - AFs are somewhat slow, so catching targets can be tricky. This IS an AF issue, but not a deal breaker.
    - You can't oversize AB them, so they're bad. Get the fuck out of here.
    - People think AFs are bad because they are used to be spoonfed kills w/ OP ships. That's not an AF problem.
    into the op, you obviously see why afs suck so tell everyone. Untill afs get a massive buff or everything else gets a massive nerf (which would be the right thing to do, i agree), everything you said IS a af problem. You explained yourself perfectly well why one should never roam in them.

To put it into different words

Svipuls beat everything and are beyond broken
    Rlmls are broken (but svipuls tank them)
    Instalocking is rampant but svipuls/confessors can instawarp while afs cant
    Faction/pirate frigs with links/implants all beat afs but lose to svipuls
    svipuls are super fast and lock as fast as a interceptor and are great for catching stuff
    You can easily overprop them which is the current fotm, in fact you can overprop them without really making any compromises making them almost impossible to trap/bait

I mean that tells a pretty clear message doesnt it? Fly a svipul!

Lastly, and this is a pure design/favor thingy, i prefer t3ds over afs by a lot as a idea, afs are extremely boring. They are just better t1 frigs combat stat wise. They dont do anything special or cool. Every ship class and most t2 ships are sort of unique. Recons, logis, gds, dictors, hics etc all have something unique about them. And even the hacs have something special about them due to their bonuses. The 100mn perma lsb vaga or the 1k tank t2 deimos for example. Sure some are a bit boring but overall they have something other ships dont have. And t3ds are super unique with their modes.

Afs are just so bland and boring. The only 3 that were sort of interesting was the arty wolf cause small arties are the most fun weapon system in the game, the enyo cause that was actually different then being a slightly better incursus due to the absurd dps and the hawk because it used to be the active tanking ship of choice. But the rest is just a snooze fest.

Honestly, i like your post. Its a good one, but its just so incredebly wasted.
    Last edited by W0lf Crendraven; July 25 2016 at 08:08:54 PM.

Please stick to the shitposting thread for shitposting.
      Spoiler:

Why would we need to complain about the svipul? Yes it's obviously cancer.
    I'm also fairly sure everyone knows that by now, including fozzie/rise/CCP balance team.

I disagree with w0lf though, while on one side min/maxing is the name of the game, just flying a ship that's fun to fly is far more enjoyable then flying the flavour of the year ship as nauseum.

Like prom, you obviously like flying afs, and there is nothing wrong with that. I'm quite partial to maledictions even if they aren't/wherent the best fleet ceptor.

But currently they just aren't very good, and as w0lf already pointed out, especially solo it takes time to find a good engagement, and flying an AF is very self limiting in terms of engagement range. Which is a definite con for the ship class if you dont have at least a few hours to kill, with a dubious return on investment for that time.

These days I definitely fly loot piņatas. Never mind the couple of billion in my head. All to broaden the engagement range while minimising the perceived threat. It's all in fleets, I don't really fly solo anymore, but the basic principle is the same. Maximising the potential for content.

Which is something AFs are pretty shit at.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Oh, i hate flying the svipul, i got like 10 kills in it, its as boring as a AF, it pretty much is an AF (but super good). I do have 200 or so solo kills in the confessor though (and the confessor counters the svipul most times) and the 10mn beam confessort is extremely fun to fly.

Fun > efficiency, but as i said before, at least to me, afs arent fun (bar the arty wolf) as i find them very boring.

AFs are pretty sweet, you guys are just lame
    Hi

while we're at it. what would be the best cancer svipul fit (no links, no implants just boosters)?