hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NAS/Media server/HTPC thread

NAS/Media server/HTPC thread

Hello yes,

I am kicking around the idea of finally getting a ~htpc~

Do I
    A) Get a NAS (qnap/synology are some names ive seen thrown around) and stream shit though a chromecast or whatever
    B) Just build a PC and fill the bastard with HDD's and plug it into the TV

I mainly want it to store things (TV/Music/Movies/Memes etc) and then either play them on TV/PC/etc. I guess ill do the music over one of those chromecast audio things or some shit into some nice speakers I have (I guess that kinda defeats to nice speakers tho)

Halp, thinking about all the options is too much

Also im sure there is a thread in here somewhere about this shit but its not on the front page so fuck ya

Your posting is medium, its not rare and its not well done
    - Krans 26/7/12

also money isant ~that~ much of an issue, id rather just spend the right money and get the right thing

- Krans 26/7/12

The question really is do you need to transcode the media before streaming it.

I have a Seagate 4tb nas that runs Plex and some other stuff natively, which works for most everything. but if I want to change anything, aspect ratio, subtitles, audio format, anything different than the media's defaults it just doesn't have the umph to do it and I have to use Plex on my PC to do it

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

If you go this route do get a NAS with proper Dualcore intel CPU so you can use plex media server and never worry about your Client not being able to play Codec XY.
    Qnap is fine but expensive, you can get the same performance much cheaper by building one of those hp microserver thingies with 4 hdds. But if you just wanna unbox, slap some dicksdisks in and don't bother installing / setting everything up do go Qnap.
    Do check their compatibility lists when choosing disks for Raid....they can be picky.

Client wise any Smart TV(=any current TV) should have DLNA or Plex Client capabilities. Chromecast Audio for MUSIC is also good. Me m8 loves it. It has SPDIF capability so quality isn't an issue.
    Last edited by Stoffl; July 5 2016 at 05:41:13 AM.
    2/10/17 Greatposthellpurge never forget
    23/10/17 The Greatreposteninging ?

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Hustlin View Post
    The question really is do you need to transcode the media before streaming it.

I have a Seagate 4tb nas that runs Plex and some other stuff natively, which works for most everything. but if I want to change anything, aspect ratio, subtitles, audio format, anything different than the media's defaults it just doesn't have the umph to do it and I have to use Plex on my PC to do it

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    Do I want to do these things?

Quote Originally Posted by Stoffl View Post
    If you go this route do get a NAS with proper Dualcore intel CPU so you can use plex media server and never worry about your Client not being able to play Codec XY.
    Qnap is fine but expensive, you can get the same performance much cheaper by building one of those hp microserver thingies with 4 hdds. But if you just wanna unbox, slap some dicksdisks in and don't bother installing / setting everything up do go Qnap.
    Do check their compatibility lists when choosing disks for Raid....they can be picky.

Client wise any Smart TV(=any current TV) should have DLNA or Plex Client capabilities. Chromecast Audio for MUSIC is also good. Me m8 loves it. It has SPDIF capability so quality isn't an issue.
    I couldnt see the microservers on my local PC shops website, assumed they werent a thing anymore.

I thought the chromecast music would be a bit lower qual just because it would be compressed going over wireless (not that im a quality sperg but still~~)
    Last edited by ctrlchris; July 5 2016 at 06:24:17 AM.

- Krans 26/7/12

Google play music can be configured to use 320kbit bitrate aka you can't hear a difference.
    Plus you can always stream uncompressed shit from your local network to it.

fair.

I cant find anyone selling the HP microservers tho :<

- Krans 26/7/12

Must be a 'Straya thing, HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8, Celeron G1610T, 4GB RAM is 200€ here.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoffl View Post
    Must be a 'Straya thing, HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8, Celeron G1610T, 4GB RAM is 200€ here.
    I found one on ebay, and one of the local hardware stores had one for 650aud (lol)

http://www.scorptec.com.au/product/N...215-819185-371

gg
    Last edited by ctrlchris; July 5 2016 at 07:04:55 AM.

- Krans 26/7/12

I would go for Qnap myself, but as uncle stoffl says, they're expensive (we have three 8 bay Xeon e-3 qnaps at work and they are excellent). That said, you can run a linux nas distro, like openmediavault, or even a plain jain linux distro with software raid and plex. That way you could buy a used PC with disk-space and be on your way.
    Будь смиренным, будь кротким, не заботься о тленном
    Власти, данной Богом, сынок, будь навеки верным...
    Я люблю Росcию, я - патриот

Is your TV already plugged into the PC? Are your speakers hooked up to your PC or directly to the TV?

I keep kicking around the idea of building a NAS, but they are expensive and since my TV is already plugged into my PC it barely seems worth it.

I've got a bunch of hard drives with all my media and music, and run Plex Media Server just on the PC. You want Plex for sure, it owns. You can also use it to stream your music library. I use OpenPHT to play the media on the TV which is essentially just a third monitor on my wall since it's plugged into my PC via HDMI.

If the location of your PC means that it's inconvenient to plug the TV straight into the PC, then you can stream Plex to a Chromecast easy peasy either with the mobile app, or with the windows app. If it's a modern smart TV it might even run Plex natively. If not, just use a Chromecast.

So my advice is get Plex, run it on your PC, and then see afterwards if you still want/need a NAS
    Last edited by Amantus; July 6 2016 at 03:17:05 PM.
    MAX damage posting

My setup is and old pc filled with disks and sata controllers for moar disks

Every tv has a raspberry pi running openelec, my android with yatse controls all there is

no need for plex since everything can read every file format

server (old pc, I mean athlon on an am2 board) runs linux and samba, no more needed

smartphone/tablets can reach shares throug vlc/file explorer, so if I fancy watching ironman while shitting, no probz

everything running smooth since 2012 (server is an ubuntu 12.04, more set and forget than debian)

cheap, reliable, easy to set up
    Last edited by pazuzu; July 6 2016 at 08:27:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Amantus View Post
    Is your TV already plugged into the PC? Are your speakers hooked up to your PC or directly to the TV?

I keep kicking around the idea of building a NAS, but they are expensive and since my TV is already plugged into my PC it barely seems worth it.

I've got a bunch of hard drives with all my media and music, and run Plex Media Server just on the PC. You want Plex for sure, it owns. You can also use it to stream your music library. I use OpenPHT to play the media on the TV which is essentially just a third monitor on my wall since it's plugged into my PC via HDMI.

If the location of your PC means that it's inconvenient to plug the TV straight into the PC, then you can stream Plex to a Chromecast easy peasy either with the mobile app, or with the windows app. If it's a modern smart TV it might even run Plex natively. If not, just use a Chromecast.

So my advice is get Plex, run it on your PC, and then see afterwards if you still want/need a NAS

Yeh, I am running plex on my PC and have been chromecasting to my TV but I kinda want to fuck everything off my PC on to something else (I dont need to, I just want to)
    TV is in the lounge, other end of my house. Speakers are going with my turntable in my room (when I get them in da post)

I am thinking what I end up doing will involve plex, mainly just if a NAS or a Full PC are the better option to run it. Means I can have it sit there and my old man can watch shit or whatever too.

- Krans 26/7/12

I have a NAS with no transcoding capabilities as a Plex server and I have an Intel NUC connected to the TV that can play all kinds of formats. Works fine but is definitely not the cheapest solution.

cost isant a major issue, id rather spend the right money and do it right.

- Krans 26/7/12

Quote Originally Posted by ctrlchris View Post
    cost isant a major issue, id rather spend the right money and do it right.
    Qnap, honestly. More expensive than a private build but much more performant than Synology.
    Будь смиренным, будь кротким, не заботься о тленном
    Власти, данной Богом, сынок, будь навеки верным...
    Я люблю Росcию, я - патриот

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrlchris View Post
    fair.

I cant find anyone selling the HP microservers tho :<
    To be fair i have fought the snuff vni gangs several times so they probably still exist, it's just powered by shit.

Donor
    I love my Mac Mini for a HTPC. Looks cute, wireless mouse/keyboard looks cute and it has plenty of oomph.
    It just runs MacOS so it works for pretty much anything.

So looking for a solution home server/NAS/HTPC.

Looking at this Qnap, however it looks to be a bit restrictive concerning OS and stuff like that. I really want ZFS. But that means ECC (DDR3 is enough for me). Any suggestions for a configuration that's upgradeable inside ~500-1000? I'm looking towards getting a good motherboard/RAM/PSU, CPU can be something throaway (to be later replaced by something at least quad/six core), all popped into a case (suggestions?).

I am tempted of going full retard with a small cabinet and a 2U blade server +/- watercooled, but that would blow a big chunk in the initial budget.

Thanks!
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Fuck that shit. Why do you need to customize the OS? Can't you treat it as a storage blackbox?

Entirely ignorant of home NAS / HTPC.