hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NAS/Media server/HTPC thread

I have a 4-disk consumer NAS and an Intel NUC as a "HTPC", which works pretty well for me as a combo. Have you thought about how you want to use your thing as a HTPC? Normally people make those quiet, which can be difficult with a NAS box.

I want ZFS in light of a recent HDD meltdown and having lost data before. Just because I ignore shit it doesn't mean it can't happen. I also don't need to store it in the same room as the tv and what not, unless it's fanless it will make some noise and then again I can and will stream via plex and Chromecast anyway.

Thing is if there is no ZFS then I need raid 10 and that's very hungry with terabytes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Can you put it in the butt*?

*cloud?

ZFS does look nice, maybe look at the Fractal Design Define R4 case (8 hard drive bays should be enough?). Home server rack feels like you are overdoing it a bit unless you really really get off on "uh oh that looks sooo professional". In my experience with a tiny NAS it is a good idea to store your home server in another room (hard drive noise etc.) - when I read "HTPC" I think of something directly plugged into a TV that usually sits underneath it is why I mentioned getting a separate box for that.

You don't need ECC to benefit from ZFS, or Btrfs. https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder...s_without_ecc/
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

From that thread:
    ZFS does not require ECC RAM, but it would be a shame to go through all that checksuming and parity to store data that was corrupted in RAM prior to being handed to ZFS. ZFS will return that corrupted data exactly as it received it and be able to prove that it's the same data it received. ZFS is the ultimate smartass friend.

If you care about data integrity, care about it all the way through the system.
    This will hold all my important data and I really care about data integrity in this case.

My main issue is I can't settle on a motherboard with >4 RAM slots and ECC and decent dimensions. All of them seem to be large, case in which I'll have to go with a full tower case. Which is fine.jpg, I'll just store it in a cupboard or smth.

Your chance of a single block encountering a hash collision during rebuild, after a bit flipping in ram to trigger this (which is also unlikely,) is 1 in 2^256.

To put 2^256 in context here it is in base 10: 115,792,089,237,316,195,423,570,985,008,687,907,85 3,269,984,665,640,564,039,457,584,007,913,129,639, 936

Your chance of being struck by lightning is around 1 in 960,000, or 1 in ~2^20.

Non-ECC memory can allow for user-requested file modifications (saving a file, etc) or the data in new file commits to become corrupted, but never on-disk data, even during scrubs. It's the same as any other filesystem in that regard, but no worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    From that thread:
    ZFS does not require ECC RAM, but it would be a shame to go through all that checksuming and parity to store data that was corrupted in RAM prior to being handed to ZFS. ZFS will return that corrupted data exactly as it received it and be able to prove that it's the same data it received. ZFS is the ultimate smartass friend.

If you care about data integrity, care about it all the way through the system.
    This will hold all my important data and I really care about data integrity in this case.

My main issue is I can't settle on a motherboard with >4 RAM slots and ECC and decent dimensions. All of them seem to be large, case in which I'll have to go with a full tower case. Which is fine.jpg, I'll just store it in a cupboard or smth.
    So FYI.. Working with servers all day gives me some perspective on RAM errors rates.. I had a server develop some dodgy memory (the bluescreening kind) and in the 5 years prior to the first crash it had logged 2 ECC corrections across 16 sticks of RAM.. ECC is a nice to have but you are unlikely to see any data integrity benefit in a home environment.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Well yeah you might say that, and you might be right, but :autism:

Derpin from Chinaphone
    2/10/17 Greatposthellpurge never forget
    23/10/17 The Greatreposteninging ?

Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    Didn't you hear him? He really cares about data integrity guize!
      Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

Confirming.

His dataz are of the utmost importantenceening
    2/10/17 Greatposthellpurge never forget
    23/10/17 The Greatreposteninging ?

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    I would argue that unless you live more than 1000' above sea level or near some radioactive deposits, you don't need ECC.

That said, my Fractal Design Define Nano S is really quiet. Will be even quieter once I replace the stock fans with PWM fans. How many drives will you be using?
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Probably eight :/

If you want to use ECC then use it. I guess my other point was if it starts to log errors then you probably have dodgy RAM..
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

I used to have HTPC's in the past. Now I just do SMB file sharing from my Linux system (5x4TB drives) and then use Nvidia Shield TV's running SPMC (Kodi).

Works very nice and 4K HDR is pretty.
    Last edited by Mashie Saldana; February 7 2018 at 06:56:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
    I used to have HTPC's in the past. Now I just do SMB file sharing from my Linux system (5x4TB drives) and then use Nvidia Shield TV's running SPMC (Kodi).

Works very nice and 4K HDR is pretty.
    Are you running RAID 5 software by any chance?

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    If you want to use ECC then use it. I guess my other point was if it starts to log errors then you probably have dodgy RAM..
    Good thing about advice is you don't really have to follow it, but people seem butthurt if you're using your monies as you wish and use advice as guidelines only. Sincerely baffled (no, not really, I do get it).

My point for using ECC is that from experience, every time I've skimped on stuff I've been fucked by life in that exact same spot. E.g. buy good stuffs to assemble PC, pick dodgy RAM, lo and behold what do I need to RMA next. Same with HDDs.

Now with NAS stuffs, there is one thing that achieves stuff that's similar to enterprise integrity and security of data and that's FreeNAS with ZFS, tested and proven by many people before me. This doesn't discount regular offline/offsite backups, of course. The data I really care about more than anything isn't a lot (few terabytes), but it escalates every time I go out with my camera and then develop and edit my photos. I know I could get away with a "normal" NAS, however those have limited slots and thus scale badly. An upgrade for a "regular" home NAS means change the whole unit and add more drives, with FreeNAS and ZFS it means "throw in HDDs, reconfigure stuff, works".

Hell, I may even go Linux and RAID 10 initially. But the target is that sweet, sweet FS and the assurance that once the data is copied and verified it will still be there in the same exact shape and form.

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    You get a tad pissy when advice on here doesn’t match what you want to hear, literally every single time

Sent from my iPhtapa
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.

I'm working on it ^^ <3