hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3441424344
Results 861 to 870 of 870

Thread: Civilization VI

  1. #861

    Join Date
    May 31, 2011
    Posts
    5,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    This whole 1 unit per square thing is disturbing me
    this! this really annoyed me in the tutorial - made attacking cities much harder than i felt it should be
    I felt like that first, but I now like it better. It requires a bit more tactics on where you place your units than just stacking tons of units regardless. What Ipersonally don't like compared to older version: that you can't build roads with woerkers anymore. Building "the Autobahn" to that strategic hex were you want to stage your next attack, I miss it.
    Military engineers build railroads. They require no charge but resources (iron and coal iirc). The railroad also provides a massive speed boost.

    For those wondering: roads are built by traders on a trade route.
    Thx, Joe. Now that you mention it.... it's been a long time since I last played Civ 6, I've forgotten about that.

    In all honesty: after starting a new game and being unable to build anything with my first worker I actually played the tutorial again.

  2. #862
    Joe Appleby's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    in front of the class
    Posts
    15,262
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    This whole 1 unit per square thing is disturbing me
    this! this really annoyed me in the tutorial - made attacking cities much harder than i felt it should be
    I felt like that first, but I now like it better. It requires a bit more tactics on where you place your units than just stacking tons of units regardless. What Ipersonally don't like compared to older version: that you can't build roads with woerkers anymore. Building "the Autobahn" to that strategic hex were you want to stage your next attack, I miss it.
    Military engineers build railroads. They require no charge but resources (iron and coal iirc). The railroad also provides a massive speed boost.

    For those wondering: roads are built by traders on a trade route.
    Thx, Joe. Now that you mention it.... it's been a long time since I last played Civ 6, I've forgotten about that.

    In all honesty: after starting a new game and being unable to build anything with my first worker I actually played the tutorial again.
    I can't remember if military engineers also build roads before the invention of the railroad, as I never bother with them before that.

    Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

  3. #863
    Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    NL fuck yeah
    Posts
    3,750
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Quaan View Post
    Haven't played VI yet, but it sounds from you lot that they broke the cycle:
    I, cool concepts -> II, perfected I
    III, cool concepts -> IV, perfected III
    V, cool concepts -> VI, meh?

    Sort of like the Star Trek odd/even rule.
    Nah, most of the complaints in here about VI also apply to V. Civ V broke the mold of all previous Civ games due to hexes and one unit per tile.

    The most valid criticism I've seen here so far is shit AI, but tbh I'm struggling to remember a Civ that had good AI and I've played them all.

  4. #864
    Hoggbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 16, 2013
    Posts
    2,467
    Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Quaan View Post
    Haven't played VI yet, but it sounds from you lot that they broke the cycle:
    I, cool concepts -> II, perfected I
    III, cool concepts -> IV, perfected III
    V, cool concepts -> VI, meh?

    Sort of like the Star Trek odd/even rule.
    Nah, most of the complaints in here about VI also apply to V. Civ V broke the mold of all previous Civ games due to hexes and one unit per tile.

    The most valid criticism I've seen here so far is shit AI, but tbh I'm struggling to remember a Civ that had good AI and I've played them all.
    The civ 6 ai does stand out in the series as having a worse AI though.

    I for one think the combat system in civ 5 is the single biggest improvement in the entire series. The combat in 1-4 all had that RNG fuckery where you could lose a superior unit to a shit one purely on a bad diceroll. Like a modern tank dying to a phalanx. That just doesn't happen in civ 5, so you get a much more predictable combat where your unit placement and army composition matters a whole lot more.

    One of the biggest annoyances i have with civ 6 aside from the awful AI, awful diplomacy (yes by civ standards, i know it never was the strong point of the series) is the movement system. If a certain hex has a movement modifier of 2, you need 2 movement to enter it. In 5 you can enter any square if you have 1 movement.

    As it stands (i haven't even bothered to check the latest dlcs for civ 6) i see no point in playing 6 over 5.

  5. #865
    Donor Aea's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    14,514
    Thousands of hours in both games. CIV VI (with all expansions) is by far the better strategy game IMHO.

    Civics and Governments are far, far, far more dynamic and interesting than Policies.

    Expansion is now possible and worthwhile. The "National Wonder" mechanic in V basically encouraged the "4 City Strategy" which got lame really fast coupled with other penalties to expansion.

    Geography is a lot more interesting now. Districts are a fantastic addition and there's a lot more meaningful terrain features as a result (i.e. Geothermal, Reefs, etc.)

    Great People are far more interesting (each with unique bonuses) and more competitive.

    Religion and Faith are massively improved. You can actually compete for a pantheon you want (lots of RNG but no BS like the AI starting with pottery and you never being able to catch up). Creating a religion involves actually investing in a religion (not just lucking out with a powerful pantheon). Faith now supplements your non-religious victory conditions instead of having an outsized effect (V faith purchasing of great people was OP AF). Actual religious victory added.

    Wonder placement requirements encourage pre-planning vs. it being a production race exclusively.

    Floods, Volcanic Eruptions, etc. really make city planning more dynamic.

    Golden Ages, Historical Moments, Eurekas & Inspirations, etc. allow you to play smarter.

    Loyalty. Thank fuck for Loyalty.

    Barbarians. Actually a threat if ignored.


    My biggest one would be: The game the AI plays is much more closely aligned with the game you play. They get huge bonuses sure, but you're not stuck with four cities while Germany is settling it's 50th city on your borders. You can complete with the AI on religion early game even without a perfect pantheon.


    AI still truly retarded, although I blame a lot of this on the nebulous and unclear messaging from the AI. Cleopatra and Pericles come to mind. On Deity I will often befriend the entire world if I'm not being particularly aggressive.

  6. #866
    Hoggbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 16, 2013
    Posts
    2,467
    Quote Originally Posted by Aea View Post
    Thousands of hours in both games. CIV VI (with all expansions) is by far the better strategy game IMHO.

    Civics and Governments are far, far, far more dynamic and interesting than Policies.

    Expansion is now possible and worthwhile. The "National Wonder" mechanic in V basically encouraged the "4 City Strategy" which got lame really fast coupled with other penalties to expansion.

    Geography is a lot more interesting now. Districts are a fantastic addition and there's a lot more meaningful terrain features as a result (i.e. Geothermal, Reefs, etc.)

    Great People are far more interesting (each with unique bonuses) and more competitive.

    Religion and Faith are massively improved. You can actually compete for a pantheon you want (lots of RNG but no BS like the AI starting with pottery and you never being able to catch up). Creating a religion involves actually investing in a religion (not just lucking out with a powerful pantheon). Faith now supplements your non-religious victory conditions instead of having an outsized effect (V faith purchasing of great people was OP AF). Actual religious victory added.

    Wonder placement requirements encourage pre-planning vs. it being a production race exclusively.

    Floods, Volcanic Eruptions, etc. really make city planning more dynamic.

    Golden Ages, Historical Moments, Eurekas & Inspirations, etc. allow you to play smarter.

    Loyalty. Thank fuck for Loyalty.

    Barbarians. Actually a threat if ignored.


    My biggest one would be: The game the AI plays is much more closely aligned with the game you play. They get huge bonuses sure, but you're not stuck with four cities while Germany is settling it's 50th city on your borders. You can complete with the AI on religion early game even without a perfect pantheon.


    AI still truly retarded, although I blame a lot of this on the nebulous and unclear messaging from the AI. Cleopatra and Pericles come to mind. On Deity I will often befriend the entire world if I'm not being particularly aggressive.
    I shall bow to the wisdom of the superior civ nerd. Listen to Aea and not my ranting (probably).

  7. #867
    Joe Appleby's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    in front of the class
    Posts
    15,262
    Quote Originally Posted by Aea View Post
    Geography is a lot more interesting now. Districts are a fantastic addition and there's a lot more meaningful terrain features as a result (i.e. Geothermal, Reefs, etc.)

    Wonder placement requirements encourage pre-planning vs. it being a production race exclusively.
    To expand on this: too often have I wanted to build a wonder just to realize, that my district placement and geography don't allow it.
    An example: The Venetian Arsenal gives you a free copy of every ship you build. That is a massive boost (unless you are low on resources and the upkeep kills you).
    It needs to be built on the coast adjacent to an industrial zone.

    Sounds simple enough?

    Industrial zones get adjacency bonuses for each mine, quarry, aqueduct, canal, bath, strategic resource, district and lumber mill. Industrial zone buildings project their bonuses for 6 tiles. You may not get any adjacency bonuses on the coast, or just +1 instead of a +3 or more. Placing it on the coast basically means a certain amount of projection is wasted on the sea.
    nevar forget

  8. #868
    Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    NL fuck yeah
    Posts
    3,750
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoggbert View Post
    As it stands (i haven't even bothered to check the latest dlcs for civ 6) i see no point in playing 6 over 5.
    Like Civ V the base game alone leaves a lot to be desired. Like Civ V there have been two major DLCs, and like Civ V they improve things quite a bit.

    That said I'm still not sure I enjoy VI more than V, they're just different in many little ways. I've played V a lot more than VI but V was far more revolutionary, VI is more evolutionary.

  9. #869

    Join Date
    May 31, 2011
    Posts
    5,117
    Taking about Civ VI expansions: I don't own any of the expansion and I just had a look at Steam and there's currently the Platinum Edition bundle sold for 19.60 EUR, which includes both expansions, the base game and the civilizations pack. The latter I already own.

    And then there's the single expansions going for 29.99 EUR (Rise and Fall) and 39.99 EUR (Gathering Storm) ...

  10. #870
    Joe Appleby's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    in front of the class
    Posts
    15,262
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Taking about Civ VI expansions: I don't own any of the expansion and I just had a look at Steam and there's currently the Platinum Edition bundle sold for 19.60 EUR, which includes both expansions, the base game and the civilizations pack. The latter I already own.

    And then there's the single expansions going for 29.99 EUR (Rise and Fall) and 39.99 EUR (Gathering Storm) ...
    Get it then?

    Also Steam discounts bundles for parts that you already own.
    nevar forget

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •