hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 613141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: [Devpost] Dailies are coming to eve: kill one rat, get 10k SP

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAfroMan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Verite Rendition View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAfroMan View Post
    It will get people logging in and undocking. Good change.
    Agreed.
    I'm not sure I understand this position. It's going to take the alt I use 90 seconds, at most, to kill a frig rat in a belt per day. And since I'll be doing it in a destroyer (really!), it's likely that I will probably cause any miners in that belt to dock when I do it.

I don't understand how either of these facts are good for the game. Can someone explain?
    Some people will encounter other ships to kill, maybe see something expensive on scan. Others will happen across a Mordu's rat or something like that in their belt that is obviously worth sticking around for -> they call in for help from their buddies -> random people see ships on scan, warp to belt -> content.
    Then why not cut to the chase and just give +25% SP/hr for being logged in and undocked if that's the goal?

+25% sp/hr when undocked with a weapons timer
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    This actually is not a bad idea at all.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

It's an incentive that only works that way if the underlying game is fun. I get 1.5x XP for the first victory I get in every ship I own in World of Warships. Doesn't mean that I take advantage of it for all of them, or even most of them. If the underlying PvE in EVE is not fun (hint: it's not), it's not going to cause people to log in to do it just because they get a tiny bonus for doing so.
    You won't find me defending EVE PvE; it clearly needs work. But to truly fix the PvE system would be a massive overhaul and take quite a bit of resources. Even if CCP has already started on that, you would still want to do something about the problem for now. This is a simple, easy change CCP can implement to test the waters and address at least some of the issues at hand.

EVE is a live game; you don't have the luxury of ignoring problems until The Perfect Solution is finally ready. This is an important lesson that CCP has learned the hard way, even if the converse is that they don't iterate on other things as quickly as anyone would like.

The purpose of a daily is to give the player an incentive to log in and participate in the world. But you don't want your dailies to change how the game is fundementally played, especially for a sandbox like EVE. Such a solution would not only come with some big risks of unintended consequences (e.g. botting), but it disincentivizes mining, market PvP, etc.

Think of it like this: when your parents threw you outside and told you to go play, did they tell you that you could only play baseball?
    Last edited by Verite Rendition; May 20 2016 at 10:49:22 AM.
    Tranquility (EVE) Influence Map
    Life is absurd, but with a little effort we can make it completely ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    It's a bad idea. People will just shoot their alts.
    The Rapier is my love boat
    ~lowsec smallscale pvp 'n stuff~

Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    Then, as previously mentioned, they're still 1000% more engaged with the game and likely to get some kind of interaction than they are with the current scheme.

Added to which it would be trivial to filter it with 'won't work if they're in your corp, or on an account you own'

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Added to which it would be trivial to filter it with 'won't work if they're in your corp, or on an account you own'
    Why do you hate awoxers?! Muh sandbox! /s

It's an incentive that only works that way if the underlying game is fun. I get 1.5x XP for the first victory I get in every ship I own in World of Warships. Doesn't mean that I take advantage of it for all of them, or even most of them. If the underlying PvE in EVE is not fun (hint: it's not), it's not going to cause people to log in to do it just because they get a tiny bonus for doing so.
    You won't find me defending EVE PvE; it clearly needs work. But to truly fix the PvE system would be a massive overhaul and take quite a bit of resources. Even if CCP has already started on that, you would still want to do something about the problem for now. This is a simple, easy change CCP can implement to test the waters and address at least some of the issues at hand.

EVE is a live game; you don't have the luxury of ignoring problems until The Perfect Solution is finally ready. This is an important lesson that CCP has learned the hard way, even if the converse is that they don't iterate on other things as quickly as anyone would like.

The purpose of a daily is to give the player an incentive to log in and participate in the world. But you don't want your dailies to change how the game is fundementally played, especially for a sandbox like EVE. Such a solution would not only come with some big risks of unintended consequences (e.g. botting), but it disincentivizes mining, market PvP, etc.

Think of it like this: when your parents threw you outside and told you to go play, did they tell you that you could only play baseball?
    But the current iteration only rewards shooting a rat

Yes. An easy, no-risk activity that gets you out of your station and into the world.

The activity itself is not the goal, its getting people to log in and spend 5 minutes in the game. What they think is that whatever in you made you like the game will flare up again when you actually play it and youll do stuff in eve.

The above mentioned parents throwing the kids out to play is a good example, at first the kids dont want to and fight having to go outside but after being out for a few minutes they love it and dont want to go in again till the parents have to drag them in.

They dairly itelf is not the important part.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    I see you have read nietzsche's little known work "beyond boobs and butts".

Can we get the dailies to tie into some "real" though? Maybe some sort of SOE system where they grant 10k SP for a certain list of activities per day?

I'm not some super LOLRP or lore dude. But there's a difference between a sandbox...and a themepark.

Yes. An easy, no-risk activity that gets you out of your station and into the world.
    A trader or production alt is super engaged with the world.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmychrist View Post
    Traders are so autistic they consider local chat social interaction
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Traders are so autistic they consider local chat social interaction
    WTS PLEX ONLY 900 MIl
    WTS PLEX ONLY 900 MIl
    WTS PLEX ONLY 900 MIl
    WTS PLEX ONLY 900 BIl
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    I see you have read nietzsche's little known work "beyond boobs and butts".

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    How about 100% SP generation bonus for 12 hours after killing or losing a non-trial acct capable ship. (or n%, where n is a function of the killed ship class or value)

Then, as previously mentioned, they're still 1000% more engaged with the game and likely to get some kind of interaction than they are with the current scheme.

Because EVE knows which accounts I own how? They have not a single piece of information shared between them.

Same IP address then?

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post

Because EVE knows which accounts I own how? They have not a single piece of information shared between them.

Same IP address then?
    They have a pretty good idea tbh, email address, sub details, IP address etc

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post

Same IP address then?
    They have a pretty good idea tbh, email address, sub details, IP address etc
    C, they know quite a lot. I made a token csm run in like 08 or 09 and they knew every single account I had ever logged in on; and had some questions about a few of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    How about 100% SP generation bonus for 12 hours after killing or losing a non-trial acct capable ship. (or n%, where n is a function of the killed ship class or value)
    You guys realize that this is meant to be a carrot, not a stick, right? PvP ideas involve one or more parties losing their ships. That is not a good incentive to getting everyone to log in, especially the high-secers (which I suspect this is primarily targeted at). This is also why the reward is SP; not only does it not break the economy, but everyone loves SP.

This is starting to remind me of the old (?) debates of ways to get high-sec carebears to PvP (i.e. to make themselves available to be ganked). Now, just as then, there is a segment of the player base who has no interest in ship-to-ship PvP, and no matter how crappy you make their lives they won't change. And CCP is not about to do anything that would run them off; it's a big chunk of the player base and they are what makes high-sec feel alive. PvP in this game is a blast, but please stop trying to make every solution a PvP solution. You're trying to hammer in a screw.

Side note: On SP generation, giving a flat bonus is a better idea for multiple reasons. Chief of which is that this is CCP we're talking about; do you really want them tinkering with the code for SP generation?

Some are. Most aren't. This is specifically about getting players to undock and go somewhere.
    Last edited by Verite Rendition; May 20 2016 at 08:53:04 PM.

Shitposting kills brain cells
    She did what?