hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1273 of 1308 FirstFirst ... 27377311731223126312701271127212731274127512761283 ... LastLast
Results 25,441 to 25,460 of 26147

Thread: (UK EURO WAFFLE) Limey Civil War

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Contemporary Poster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Wise men at Westminster will in future go about with chaperones, record and film all conversations with the opposite sex, require women to sign consent forms before meeting them, and certificates of good conduct afterwards. Nothing else will keep them safe from claims that they momentarily applied ‘a fleeting hand’ to someone’s knee. Or there is always the other solution, the niqab, the burka and the segregation of the sexes. But sanity, the best remedy of all, is obviously unlikely to return any time in the near future.
    Sanity certainly wont be returning through this bellend's column tbh
    And worth adding: in this context by "Sanity", he means victims shutting up and letting old pervs do their worst without embarrassing them in public.
    Again, now what is said at all. You are wilfully misrepresenting the column.
    Then quote the bits that prove your point.

Lall quoted the bits that proved his point.

Tapapapatalk
    What bits has he quoted where it says women who have been sexual assaulted should stay quiet?
    the most read part of the article: The title

"PETER HITCHENS: What will women gain from all this squawking about sex pests? A niqab"
    Which doesn't say that at all.
    I mean it doesn't say women who've been sexual assaulted should keep quiet. Unless the meaning of all those words has changed overnight.
    It was only you who changed overnight tbf
    Smuggo is right tbh

Quote Originally Posted by Narmio
    Welcome to Dwarf Fortress, where there is a fine line between insanity and gameplay. The line menaces with spikes of obsessive compulsion.

Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    I mean it doesn't say women who've been sexual assaulted should keep quiet. Unless the meaning of all those words has changed overnight.
    it kinda implies it Smugs, the implication being "shut the fuck up about sexual harassment and enjoy the rights you have, or we <strong men> will stuff you into niqabs and treat you accordingly."

at the least it's an attempt at silencing and trivializing the issue.
    Rules and laws already exist to protect people from this sort of thing. What he's saying is men are not all monstrous perverts, the vast majority aren't, and so this overreaction is akin to the kind of overreaction which sees women treated very badly in other parts of the world.

Honestly if you actually read his writing on this topic he has great respect for women and makes the case that strong family values and morality are the best way to protect women from men's worst impulses, not excessive regulation of people's lives to make up for the loss of the former.

it kinda implies it Smugs, the implication being "shut the fuck up about sexual harassment and enjoy the rights you have, or we <strong men> will stuff you into niqabs and treat you accordingly."

Rules and laws already exist to protect people from this sort of thing. What he's saying is men are not all monstrous perverts, the vast majority aren't, and so this overreaction is akin to the kind of overreaction which sees women treated very badly in other parts of the world.

Honestly if you actually read his writing on this topic he has great respect for women and makes the case that strong family values and morality are the best way to protect women from men's worst impulses, not excessive regulation of people's lives to make up for the loss of the former.
    Quote Originally Posted by hitchens
    Personally, I am a Victorian prude, though I try to keep it under control. I am still secretly shocked by coarse words, especially used in front of women or children.

I am dismayed to see on public display, on TV and in the street, and in normal conversation, things and events which would once only have been available to shamefully seedy men in shady back-street shops. I donít want to watch other people having sex.

I also experienced the 1960s and their aftermath, and saw the dreadful, often tragic things that happen when men and women abandon the old rules of fidelity and constancy, and wrongly imagine that total freedom leads to total happiness.

Since then, I havenít been able to see why the wonderful new equality between men and women, which is one of the great changes for the better in our age, had to be mixed up with the militant destruction of marriage and the traditional family. I still donít.

why do women need protecting from harsh language more than men?

I follow his arguments only so far before he just says something batshit insane. The part about a militant destruction of marriage. Surely rather than a targetted attempt to move away from his idealized victorian version of society its just the fact that not as many people are brainwashed as children by the Church

A minority of men could just stop being sexual predators though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by hitchens
    Personally, I am a Victorian prude, though I try to keep it under control. I am still secretly shocked by coarse words, especially used in front of women or children.

I am dismayed to see on public display, on TV and in the street, and in normal conversation, things and events which would once only have been available to shamefully seedy men in shady back-street shops. I don’t want to watch other people having sex.

I also experienced the 1960s and their aftermath, and saw the dreadful, often tragic things that happen when men and women abandon the old rules of fidelity and constancy, and wrongly imagine that total freedom leads to total happiness.

Since then, I haven’t been able to see why the wonderful new equality between men and women, which is one of the great changes for the better in our age, had to be mixed up with the militant destruction of marriage and the traditional family. I still don’t.

why do women need protecting from harsh language more than men?

I follow his arguments only so far before he just says something batshit insane. The part about a militant destruction of marriage. Surely rather than a targetted attempt to move away from his idealized victorian version of society its just the fact that not as many people are brainwashed as children by the Church
    Is instilling good morality where you respect people around you and commit to your family really brainwashing?

You could equally argue that the "do anything you like and pursue your own pleasures above everything else" mentality is brainwashing as well if you like.

Why do women need protecting from bad words more than men? I find that a morally worrying position to hold.
    Last edited by Duckslayer; November 6 2017 at 06:13:31 PM.

Why do women need protecting from bad words more than men? I find that a morally worrying position to hold.
    Their brains are only a third of the size. It's basically like protecting retards from mean people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

I assume it's a reference to men generally using coarse words more, most of which are sexualised and refer to female genitals.

I assume it's a reference to men generally using coarse words more, most of which are sexualised and refer to female genitals.
    you know what they say when you assume.

Lol Ass

Oh fuck you might be onto something*

*not really youre just making shit up now

Lol Ass

Well you could always ask him. He usually responds to people on twitter.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    I don't know which is more depressing tbh

That Smuggo believes this shit or that he thinks we believe him

Lol Ass

I genuinely dont have a twitter account. Could someone be a bro and ask him? Would be interesting to hear his response

Strong family values and morality? He wants to return to Victorian times when family values included sending kids down coal mines and insisting brides had their teeth removed before the wedding.

Lol Ass

I genuinely dont have a twitter account. Could someone be a bro and ask him? Would be interesting to hear his response
    Make one and enter a whole new universe of mob shrieking.

No no no.

He has great respect for women who play the respectful, docile wifey.

He doesn't have any respect whatsoever for women who make their own choices - this article and several others make that very, very clear.

He's a traditionalist, not a feminist in any sense of the word.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    He respects women in the same way he respects thoroughbred racehorses

Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    He respects women in the same way he respects thoroughbred racehorses
    good teeth and a good ride?

Quote Originally Posted by Narmio
    Welcome to Dwarf Fortress, where there is a fine line between insanity and gameplay. The line menaces with spikes of obsessive compulsion.

Likes them when they're doing what he thinks they should be doing, is I think the point Lall is getting at.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Quote Originally Posted by Rodj Blake View Post
    He wants to return to Victorian times when family values included sending kids down coal mines and insisting brides had their teeth removed before the wedding.
    Really? Can you provide some quotes from him to that effect?

Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post

No no no.

He has great respect for women who play the respectful, docile wifey.

He doesn't have any respect whatsoever for women who make their own choices - this article and several others make that very, very clear.
    As above, got some quotes for that?

He's a traditionalist, not a feminist in any sense of the word.
    I never said he was a feminist.

Duck has already provided two, but here, I'll provide them again:

Since then, I haven’t been able to see why the wonderful new equality between men and women, which is one of the great changes for the better in our age, had to be mixed up with the militant destruction of marriage and the traditional family. I still don’t.
    Wait, here's some more. This is all from the same article you understand because I have better things to do than wade through pages and pages of his writing to back up an opinion I formed based on doing that the first time:

But many of those who claim to seek female equality have another, much fiercer objective. They actually see men as the enemy, the ‘patriarchy’, to be overthrown by all means necessary, and replaced by a feminised society.

But where are such restrained manners to come from in our liberated society? They were part of an elaborate code of courtship and respect which was learned by example in the married family, and has now completely vanished.
    The theme is clear - he lays the entire cause of the scandal at the doors of the "breakdown of the traditional family unit", which hasn't broken down at all, but when spoken of in this way it's generally code for "women should be in the home making dinners and babies, not out in the world".

He's also vehemently anti birth-control, and you can't tell me that's a pro-women stance.