hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1486 of 1678 FirstFirst ... 4869861386143614761483148414851486148714881489149615361586 ... LastLast
Results 29,701 to 29,720 of 33547

Thread: (UK EURO WAFFLE) Limey Civil War

Quote Originally Posted by Rodj Blake View Post
    Conservatives having lessons on how to appear human - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44047859
    Always remember to stand like you're Cristiano Ronaldo taking a free kick when addressing the public.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Brexit: UK government to host summit on why other countries should join the EU

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8347111.html

Well, britons are quite experts on what benefits and pull they will be losing now...

First usage of "gammon" in a political context located in Chapter 16 of Nicholas Nickleby:

https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/d/dic...chapter16.html

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Dickens
    ‘My conduct, Pugstyles,’ said Mr Gregsbury, looking round upon the deputation with gracious magnanimity —‘my conduct has been, and ever will be, regulated by a sincere regard for the true and real interests of this great and happy country. Whether I look at home, or abroad; whether I behold the peaceful industrious communities of our island home: her rivers covered with steamboats, her roads with locomotives, her streets with cabs, her skies with balloons of a power and magnitude hitherto unknown in the history of aeronautics in this or any other nation — I say, whether I look merely at home, or, stretching my eyes farther, contemplate the boundless prospect of conquest and possession — achieved by British perseverance and British valour — which is outspread before me, I clasp my hands, and turning my eyes to the broad expanse above my head, exclaim, “Thank Heaven, I am a Briton!”’

The time had been, when this burst of enthusiasm would have been cheered to the very echo; but now, the deputation received it with chilling coldness. The general impression seemed to be, that as an explanation of Mr Gregsbury’s political conduct, it did not enter quite enough into detail; and one gentleman in the rear did not scruple to remark aloud, that, for his purpose, it savoured rather too much of a ‘gammon’ tendency.

‘The meaning of that term — gammon,’ said Mr Gregsbury, ‘is unknown to me. If it means that I grow a little too fervid, or perhaps even hyperbolical, in extolling my native land, I admit the full justice of the remark. I AM proud of this free and happy country. My form dilates, my eye glistens, my breast heaves, my heart swells, my bosom burns, when I call to mind her greatness and her glory.’

And Scotland has rejected the brexit laws

Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    Scotland can reject all it likes. Scotland's consent is a political issue only.

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    No shit, sherlock. Political? Really?

It's about building a mandate for another independence referendum sooner rather than later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post

It's about building a mandate for another independence referendum sooner rather than later.
    see i'm still not sure why left wing nationalism (SNP) is considered ok, but right wing nationalism is horrific - they're both horrific. the SNP have run this and rejected it purely for political gain, to aid themselves in another indyref bid.

they didn't have to run it, and actually it's purely pointless them even bothering because foreign policy is reserved for westminster so it's literally only to stir up discontent in scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post

see i'm still not sure why left wing nationalism (SNP) is considered ok, but right wing nationalism is horrific - they're both horrific. the SNP have run this and rejected it purely for political gain, to aid themselves in another indyref bid.

they didn't have to run it, and actually it's purely pointless them even bothering because foreign policy is reserved for westminster so it's literally only to stir up discontent in scotland.
    I would typically agree that Scottish nationalism is just as ugly and nasty as everyone else's nationalism but in this case the SNP is representing the huge majority of its voters in opposing brexit which is exactly what Labour should be doing in England and Wales for the same reason.

Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post

I would typically agree that Scottish nationalism is just as ugly and nasty as everyone else's nationalism but in this case the SNP is representing the huge majority of its voters in opposing brexit which is exactly what Labour should be doing in England and Wales for the same reason.
    I've always wondered this while following Brexit.

Why are both parties pursuing a hard brexit? Shouldn't there be some representation for the 48% who voted no?

I imagine there's some unfavorable demographics where if the Labour party opposes hard brexit, they lose a bunch of support from older people. But they're basically also gambling that they can keep the pissed off young people.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post

I've always wondered this while following Brexit.

Why are both parties pursuing a hard brexit? Shouldn't there be some representation for the 48% who voted no?

I imagine there's some unfavorable demographics where if the Labour party opposes hard brexit, they lose a bunch of support from older people. But they're basically also gambling that they can keep the pissed off young people.
    ...you do know that Corbyn himself is an anti-EU guy, right?

Why are both parties pursuing a hard brexit?
    Because Corbyn is a crusty old fuck with more in common with the hard right wing of the tory party than his own members on this particular topic. His cult of personality and rabid defenders ensure any attempt to voice an alternative view is shouted down as a crusade against his holy person.

Why are both parties pursuing a hard brexit?
    Because Corbyn is a crusty old fuck with more in common with the hard right wing of the tory party than his own members on this particular topic. His cult of personality and rabid defenders ensure any attempt to voice an alternative view is shouted down as a crusade against his holy person.
    +1

Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

SNP is not left, they're centre left social democrats, and social democracy has always held a streak of nationalism as part of its core, it's a more "inclusive" take on nationalism compared to the usual right wing drivel, but it's still nationalism.

it's "Scots first" versus "Gas-chambers for all foreigners".

edit : re labour and brexit, have you looked at the voting demographics involved ? taking a anti-brexit stance is electoral suicide W.R.T. core labour voter demographics. it's precisely the sort of dumb shit that his blairite predecessors where ousted for.
    Last edited by Liare; May 16 2018 at 07:22:43 AM.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

You do realise that the only party to vote against kicking this out were the Tories? Labour, Lib Dems, Greens and SNP all voted the same way.

Discontent with the UK government has always been there, just used to be Labour who lay with the Tories in 2014 Independance referendum and basically fucked themselves for a generation apart from the "my dad and grandad voted labour so thats who i vote for" type of special mongs

Except this isn't about foreign policy. It's about powers returning from Brussels that under the existing devolution legislation should be given to Scotland but won't be.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodj Blake View Post

Except this isn't about foreign policy. It's about powers returning from Brussels that under the existing devolution legislation should be given to Scotland but won't be.
    How dare they, etc
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

My man Jezza has real grounded views.

its you lot that have been brainwashed by the crusty eu bankers that totes want us to stay in the eu to exploit that good good sweet cheap labour and create poverty gaps like we haven't seen since before the war

Quote Originally Posted by Sp4m View Post
    My man Jezza has real grounded views.

its you lot that have been brainwashed by the crusty eu bankers that totes want us to stay in the eu to exploit that good good sweet cheap labour and create poverty gaps like we haven't seen since before the war
    This is a global problem not an EU one. EU protectionism has to some extent insulated members states (who are not PIIGS) from global labour markets and poverty gaps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.