hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1602 of 1678 FirstFirst ... 6021102150215521592159916001601160216031604160516121652 ... LastLast
Results 32,021 to 32,040 of 33543

Thread: (UK EURO WAFFLE) Limey Civil War

>milennials
    >being able to afford property

pick one

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    >milennials

pick one
    does it count if it's inheritance

(lmao at the mainlanders who have to pay 80% or whatever the insane inheritance theft is)

80% inheritance tax is how you avoid the perpetuation of an aristocracy.

Also, oldest millennials are pushing 40 now.

With luck I might be able to buy some land before I hit the 4 decade mark. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    >milennials

pick one

(lmao at the mainlanders who have to pay 80% or whatever the insane inheritance theft is)
    no exemption for small estates in the UK?

I mean losing a family house because it's worth 1 million under inflated property values is pretty fucking horrible

>milennials

pick one

no exemption for small estates in the UK?

I mean losing a family house because it's worth 1 million under inflated property values is pretty fucking horrible
    It's set at 325k exempt, then 40% above that.

Really it ought to be something like $2m (or some multiple of average net worth that tracks roughly that amount as the economy grows) exempt, then 90% above that. It's $5m and 40% in the US right now.

It's effectively 650. Should be drastically smaller.

So the family of someone who bought a flat in 1960s London would have to sell it to pay the estate tax then? Sorry thats retarded.

So the family of someone who bought a flat in 1960s London would have to sell it to pay the estate tax then? Sorry thats retarded.
    Why? They're dead. Who gives a shit.

It's the price of the flat that's retarded
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    It's the price of the flat that's retarded
    I agree, its a flat not a fucking factory. The truly wealthy get around this with all kinds of schemes so its only hurting the middle class and the poor. Youre kidding yourself if you think the inheritance tax is stopping aristocracy.

what y'all are forgetting is asking how much wealth is tied into the property values, specifically how much of the pension savings are directly or indirectly dependent on property valuation. now somebody who basically uses bricks as pensions saving is a fool of the highest order, but a crash in property values have some rather nasty knock-on effects especially as insolvency issues and underwater mortgages set in.

if your housing market is anywhere near as moronic as ours, there's a double-shit-sandwich hidden in there in that people leverage their home values to the tip of the chimney and a significant amount of pension investments are in supposedly safe mortgage backed securities so that when the housing market goes to shit, the mortage goes underwater and people's pension savings follow them down the drain. so the net result is you end up with a massive voting block that have lost most of the value they where dependent upon to retire, and only one group you can really rob to compensate them, guess who's going to get buttfucked lads. (if your bet is the people under 40, then you get a cookie, and a bottle of lube, you're gonna need it)
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Absolutely, there's a ton of shady shit going on in the housing market. It's almost on the level of a conspiracy to be honest, since all of it just seems to be extracting as much wealth from the lower classes as possible.

Eat buy to let landlords with over 5 properties.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    80% inheritance tax is how you avoid the perpetuation of an aristocracy.

Also, oldest millennials are pushing 40 now.

With luck I might be able to buy some land before I hit the 4 decade mark. We'll see.
    It took me into my 40s. It does most of us.
    meh

... the middle class ...
    A 325k inheritance tax (i.e. where it should be) is payable by fewer than 4% of all estates. The massive tax dodge/giveaway Osborne introduced (the "residence allowance" etc.) reduced that to something less than 1%.

We're not talking about the middle class, we're talking about the wealthiest few per cent.

IHT should apply to the middle class (because they can afford it), so the threshold should be greatly reduced and graduated progressively.

The ultra rich are allowed to fuck about with trusts and gifts because no government has the will to tackle this stuff. Labour because they never had to (tax receipts and growth were healthy enough not to need to fuck around in IHT) and the tories for obvious reasons.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    inheritance tax is bullshit, end of

How the hell do you reach that conclusion? Playing too much fucking Crusader Kings?

Absence of inheritance tax is incompatible with representative democratic government. It's literally where entrenched aristocracies come from.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    How the hell do you reach that conclusion? Playing too much fucking Crusader Kings?

Absence of inheritance tax is incompatible with representative democratic government. It's literally where entrenched aristocracies come from.
    Why is the state entitled to my shit just because I died

Because you're dead. The dead cannot own.

Alright, so, I'm honestly asking here: if an individual "pays in" to society, pays hits taxes etc, why should/would the state automatically get part of their estate

I don't understand the thinking behind it, so I'm asking as to why

edit: personally, my family left England because of the inheritance tax, my life would have been significantly worse if they hadn't.

is the argument that "the state would have shared your grandfathers estate with the proles" accurate?
    Last edited by XenosisMk4; August 10 2018 at 11:55:21 PM.