hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1672 of 1672 FirstFirst ... 67211721572162216621669167016711672
Results 33,421 to 33,437 of 33437

Thread: (UK EURO WAFFLE) Limey Civil War

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Scottish cons are just unable to get away with as much.
    Thats basically what makes a politician less terrible, i agree. They are all pretty much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    ... (after which the Scots would probably still hold their independence referendum anyway...)
    After a no-deal or hard Brexit: can you blame them?

The vast majority of the Scots didn't want any of this. The Tories have near zero support in Scotland. And they got it anyway, and they are still (over)ruled (read: shat upon) by the Tories in Westminster.

If there's not going to be a second referendum (which I still hold out hope for), living in Scotland as I do, I bloody glad the Scots at least have the possibility of their own referendum.
    Didn't the Americans fight a war over lack of representation or something

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post
    Scottish cons are just unable to get away with as much.
    Thats basically what makes a politician less terrible, i agree. They are all pretty much the same.
    They still do shit like cover up for racists and homophobes and bully anyone who doesn't let it drop though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

The vast majority of the Scots didn't want any of this. The Tories have near zero support in Scotland.
    Almost a quarter of the parliament and 2nd biggest party isn't "near zero" mate.
    Mind you, Scottish Cons seem better than English ones so fair play.
    Fair enough. But there's near zero support in Scotland for what the national Tory party is up to when it comes to Brexit.

Something Ruth Davidson is just about smart enough to never bring up above borders, even though she has also never come out against it either.

And even with that quarter of the parliament, politically they're quite irrelevant because SNP hold almost half of the Scottish parliament, and the Tories stand alone.

The Scottish Cons seem better than the English ones, but only because they can't get away with as much, and mostly because no one really cares.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miep View Post
    ...i have no idea whats realy going on...

yeah, that all seems fair. I guess "near zero relevance" would work well enough and it's a joy to hear.

yeah, that all seems fair. I guess "near zero relevance" would work well enough and it's a joy to hear.
    Still too much if you ask me: in 2011 they had, what, 15 SMPs? Which sounds closer to their actual voter support to me.

Remember the Scottish parliament is voted in by the Addition Member System, not FPTP, so is more (or actually) representative.

I believe they only got so many seats in 2016 because a section of people in Scotland isn't so keen on Johnny Foreigner either, and/or would never vote Labour or SNP. It helps that Ruth Davidson isn't a total fuckwit and is a lesbian to boot. And ofcourse that Scottish Labour completely collapsed (and still hasn't recovered). I doubt the Tories will do so well in the next election than they did in 2016.

Anyway, the Tories in Scotland are merely japping at the heels of the SNP. And getting precious little traction from it. Thank the heavens.

What's Scottish labour been up to? Have they managed to rebuild at all?
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Their entire platform seems consist of being singularly incapable of actually campaigning against the SNP itself and instead suggesting that the entirety of Scotland is basically just one large borough that needs to learn to vote tactically. "We're the only possible way to beat the tories , voting for anyone except for labour would be practically a vote for the tories, you're not one of them are you?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    Just for the record, "sending a needy text" is never the right answer.

The vast majority of the Scots didn't want any of this. The Tories have near zero support in Scotland.
    Almost a quarter of the parliament and 2nd biggest party isn't "near zero" mate.
    Mind you, Scottish Cons seem better than English ones so fair play.
    Fair enough. But there's near zero support in Scotland for what the national Tory party is up to when it comes to Brexit.

Something Ruth Davidson is just about smart enough to never bring up above borders, even though she has also never come out against it either.

And even with that quarter of the parliament, politically they're quite irrelevant because SNP hold almost half of the Scottish parliament, and the Tories stand alone.

The Scottish Cons seem better than the English ones, but only because they can't get away with as much, and mostly because no one really cares.
    The voting record of Scottish Tory MPs in Westminster says otherwise.

John Bercow has resigned.

In a word: no.

In more words: Corbyn has visited what used to be the Labour heartlands in Scotland (I happen to live in one) but got a rather lukewarm reception. Scottish Labour leadership is still weak, and their complaints about how they are running things pretty obviously and easily countered (they did far far worse). Meanwhile Scotland doesn't seem to be anywhere near the top of the Labour agenda in far away London (did Corbyn mention Scotland even once in his conference speech? I doubt it). Basically the message from Scottish Labour is still that what's good for Labour in England should be good enough for Labour in Scotland as well. The Scots see it rather differently. So the feeling is still that for many year Labour took the Scots for granted, and has now all but given up on it. You can hardly blame them.

With SNP to the left of Labour on many issues, and undoubtedly concerned primarily with Scottish issues, and actually doing something for the Scottish people and Scotland; not even Glasgow is voting for Scottish Labour any more (except some holdouts).

And compared to most (especially Tory) MPs down in Westminster, Nicola Sturgeon is a veritable paragon of virtue and competence.

Though to be fair, that probably says more about those MPs than about Nippy Sweetie ...

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Their entire platform seems consist of being singularly incapable of actually campaigning against the SNP itself and instead suggesting that the entirety of Scotland is basically just one large borough that needs to learn to vote tactically. "We're the only possible way to beat the tories , voting for anyone except for labour would be practically a vote for the tories, you're not one of them are you?"
    And that ... it's daft, and the Scots don't like to be treated like a bunch of dafties ... certainly not by Labour ...

Quote Originally Posted by Rodj Blake View Post
    Ehhh, all I have is that he'll step down by next summer ... as he always planned to do ...

Quote Originally Posted by Rodj Blake View Post
    Ehhh, all I have is that he'll step down by next summer ... as he always planned to do ...
    Well, that's sort of resigning.

This image is by now 2 years old or so and it still encapsulates everything about brexit just so perfectly.

Though thinking about it, there should be more blood on the floor.
    Tanks: theBlind[URBAD] (in my heart there will always be a place for [FAIL])
    Planetside2: [UBAD]theAngelic

Quote Originally Posted by theBlind View Post
    This image is by now 2 years old or so and it still encapsulates everything about brexit just so perfectly.

Though thinking about it, there should be more blood on the floor.
    It's good, but not visible on deze here forumslike ...

Quote Originally Posted by Stoffl View Post
    The eternal sunshine of the Brexiters mind
    Splendor sine Occaaayyysu