hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1517 of 1683 FirstFirst ... 51710171417146715071514151515161517151815191520152715671617 ... LastLast
Results 30,321 to 30,340 of 33650

Thread: (UK EURO WAFFLE) Limey Civil War

It does seem spectacularly daft for May to backstab Grieve and his merryband. They do know he's a QC, right? I suspect he knows more about legal and legislative processes than the average career politician, or half-assed business type like Mogg. Here's hoping he torpedoes the sods with the most boring and mind numbing legalese known to man.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Imagine if America hadn't decided to build an entire industry on making side bets on mortgages, the 2000s could have trundled on indefinitely...
    Or if Barclays didnt start gaming the LIBOR?

Couldda been yuge!

This chap has just blocked the bill for a new upskirting law: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Chope

On 10 February 2009, he called for the minimum wage to be abolished. His Employment Opportunities Bill, which would, according to Chope, introduce more freedom to the job market and decrease unemployment, was backed by ten other Conservative MPs at the first reading, among them Edward Leigh, David Wilshire, Nigel Evans, Bill Cash and Peter Bone.

Later that year, in the expenses scandal, it emerged that Chope claimed 136,992 in parliamentary expenses in 2007/08. This included claiming 881 to repair a sofa.[6]

On 12 March 2010, he was responsible for the blocking of a bill to protect poor countries from "vulture funds", despite his party's support for the bill.[7]

In October 2010, Chope helped host a meeting of climate-science sceptics at Westminster.[8]

On 11 October 2011, Chope raised an eleventh-hour objection to the Hillsborough debate taking place because he believed a debate about MPs' pensions was more important. Cries of "shame" echoed around the chamber and Labour MP Jamie Reed said that the perpetrator should be "named and shamed" for raising the objection.[9]

Chope helped to lead backbench support for the motion calling for a European Referendum. He has also been heavily involved in the use of private member's bills to achieve this aim.[10]

Chope came under fire in January 2013 for referring to some staff in the House of Commons as "servants". Parallels were drawn between this opinion and his views on the minimum wage.[11]

Chope voted against the legislation for same-sex marriage in 2013.[12]

In June 2013 Chope was one of four MPs who camped outside Parliament in a move to facilitate parliamentary debate on what they called an "Alternative Queen’s Speech" – an attempt to show what a future Conservative government might deliver.[13] 42 policies were listed including reintroduction of the death penalty and conscription, privatizing the BBC, banning the burka in public places and preparation to leave the European Union.[13] The Daily Telegraph believed the whips sent Edward Leigh to try and persuade the group not to table the amendments.[13]

In December 2013 Chope objected[14][15] to the second reading of the Alan Turing (Statutory Pardon) Bill in the House of Commons. Because of this, the Government decided to act under the royal prerogative of mercy. On 24 December 2013 Queen Elizabeth II granted Turing a free pardon.[16][17]

On 28 November 2014 Chope, a private landlord, filibustered a Liberal Democrat bill with cross party support intended to make revenge evictions an offence.[18]

In 2014 Chope along with six other Conservative Party MPs voted against the Equal Pay (Transparency) Bill which would require all companies with more than 250 employees to declare the gap in pay between the average male and average female salaries.[19]

He came under criticism in late 2014 for repeatedly blocking a bill that would ban the use of wild animals in circus performances, justifying his actions by saying "The EU Membership Costs and Benefits bill should have been called by the clerk before the circuses bill, so I raised a point of order".[20]

In October 2015, Chope joined fellow Conservative members Philip Davies and David Nuttall in extended speeches, known as a filibuster, against a private member's bill that would have placed restrictions on hospital parking charges for carers. Their actions caused the bill to run out of time.[21]

Chope was appointed a Knight Bachelor in the 2018 New Year Honours for political and public service.[22]

On 15 June 2018 Chope blocked the passage of a law against upskirting by crying "object" in the House of Commons, which drew immediate criticism from fellow MPs[23]

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    honestly I'm still amazed that it wasn't already illegal (unless the woman was going commando)

Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    honestly I'm still amazed that it wasn't already illegal (unless the woman was going commando)
    It is, as sexual harassment I think, but they want to introduce it's own specific legislation. Easier to prosecute, better sentencing guidelines and increased profile in the hope of discouraging offenders.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    Just for the record, "sending a needy text" is never the right answer.

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    apparently this old duffer and some of his backbench mates are big fans of any changes to laws being fully debated by a busy house, and not a friday pm session

still horrifically out of touch though, and is rightfully being pilloried by all sides of the house

Maybe he didn't want to have to alter his plans for the summer

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.

I am somewhat saddened that my home hasn't completely avoided the wave of idiocy sweeping the planet, but at least this guy is just some no name loser (even if our local paper is a tabloid wankrag)

no wait shit he ran in my local parish elections and was a deputy for 8 years

the second last paragraph makes all his mentions of Nazi Germany make quite a bit more sense, wanker

Smuggo went to live on your shitty little island?

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    Don't think he could afford it tbh

we accept only the very creme de la creme of complete cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandzibar View Post
    we accept only the very creme de la creme of complete cunt.
    this but sadly unironically

the kind of people to immigrate here are almost universally cunts (at least the ones from the UK, the Polish and Portugese are mostly chill and work harder than the locals/Uk lot)

You beat me to it.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    You beat me to it.
    +1
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    You beat me to it.
    +1
    I think we could all do with sitting back a bit and detaching ourselves from the situation to really think about how these issues reflect on our future and how we discuss them here and be a bit less aggressive or defensive because everyone has a complicated set of circumstances that has led the to place importance on particular issues and it doesn't meany any of them is less valid, we just need to look at the broader picture

I am somewhat saddened that my home hasn't completely avoided the wave of idiocy sweeping the planet, but at least this guy is just some no name loser (even if our local paper is a tabloid wankrag)

the second last paragraph makes all his mentions of Nazi Germany make quite a bit more sense, wanker
    What the fuck is this shit?

"Hitler's economic adviser was their first president"?

Who are they talking about?

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post

What the fuck is this shit?

"Hitler's economic adviser was their first president"?

Who are they talking about?

Tapapapatalk
    The current theory among my mates is that it was a jape by some bored student who wanted to see just how shitty they could make a letter and still get it published in the paper

Surely they cant publish it in another (actual) guy's name?

God knows, half the Jersey Evening Post is outsourced to indians nowadays

God knows, half the Jersey Evening Post is outsourced to indians nowadays
    Nothing wrong with that
    "I think we could all do with sitting back a bit and detaching ourselves from the situation to really think about how these issues reflect on our future and how we discuss them here and be a bit less aggressive or defensive because everyone has a complicated set of circumstances that has led the to place importance on particular issues and it doesn't meany any of them is less valid, we just need to look at the broader picture"

Smuggo - Brexit Thread