hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 5 of 148 FirstFirst ... 23456781555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't Panic, It's Just A Pandemic Thread

RIP Xenosisreaper 04.11.2015

smuggo
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    tl;dr - what is % chance of micro-brain if you have the virus while pregnant?
    This is it...

There's been all this talk of 'thousands' of babies born in Brazil with pin heads. How does that compare to the 'normal' rate? Brazil is a country of 200 million, there's going to be a few thousand cases of microscopically per year anyway (moreso because of their abortion laws).

Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    microscopically
    Auto-correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    Just for the record, "sending a needy text" is never the right answer.

smuggo
    Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    microscopically
    Auto-correct?
    Well pointed out. +rep

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

Zika: Scientists warn of global microcephaly 'epidemic' after study shows strong links to virus

Scientists are warning that the world should prepare for a "global epidemic" of microcephaly, a birth defect where a baby's head is smaller than usual, as the Zika virus spreads to new countries.

The warning comes after researchers in Brazil and Britain found further evidence to link the condition with Zika virus, a connection already widely accepted in medical circles.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) declared the Zika virus an international public health emergency in February.

The team reported that a study of newborn babies in Brazil found nearly half of 32 babies with microcephaly had traces of Zika virus in their blood or cerebrospinal fluid.

None of 62 babies born with normal-sized heads tested positive for Zika in their blood.

The study was published in The Lancet Infectious Diseases journal after a request by the Health Ministry in Brazil, one of the countries hardest hit by the Zika outbreak.

The researchers wrote that the "striking association" led them to "conclude that the microcephaly epidemic is a result of congenital Zika virus infection".

If this is the case, "we should prepare for the epidemic of microcephaly to expand to all countries with current (local) Zika virus transmission and to those countries where transmission of the virus is likely to spread", the researchers wrote.

"We recommend... that we prepare for a global epidemic of microcephaly and other manifestations of congenital Zika syndrome."

The researchers also proposed adding Zika to a category of congenital infections known to happen before or during birth. The list includes toxoplasmosis, syphilis, rubella, cytomegalovirus, HIV and herpes.

Zika is a virus spread mainly by mosquitoes, but in rare cases via sex.

In most people, including pregnant women, it is benign with mild or no symptoms.

But in an outbreak that started mid-2015, it has been linked to microcephaly and rare, adult-onset neurological problems such as Guillain-Barre Syndrome (GBS), which can result in paralysis and death.

According to the WHO, more than 1.5 million people have been infected with Zika, mainly in Brazil, and more than 1,600 babies have been born with microcephaly since last year. There is no cure or vaccine.

Study shows Zika infected many pregnant women

The researchers said their study was the first to compare children with microcephaly to a "control" sample of healthy children with two controls for every malformed baby.

The team found 80 per cent of women who gave birth to babies with microcephaly had been infected by Zika while pregnant, compared with 64 per cent of mothers who delivered healthy babies.

This meant a very high percentage of pregnant women overall had been infected in Brazil's Zika epidemic area.

The scientists said the results were preliminary, with findings on another 400 babies that were included in the study to follow.

The team found that not all infants diagnosed with microcephaly had abnormalities show up in brain scans.

AFP

Developing world getting mega-fucked

Quote Originally Posted by Sparq View Post
    Zika: Scientists warn of global microcephaly 'epidemic' after study shows strong links to virus

Scientists are warning that the world should prepare for a "global epidemic" of microcephaly, a birth defect where a baby's head is smaller than usual, as the Zika virus spreads to new countries.

The warning comes after researchers in Brazil and Britain found further evidence to link the condition with Zika virus, a connection already widely accepted in medical circles.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) declared the Zika virus an international public health emergency in February.

The team reported that a study of newborn babies in Brazil found nearly half of 32 babies with microcephaly had traces of Zika virus in their blood or cerebrospinal fluid.

None of 62 babies born with normal-sized heads tested positive for Zika in their blood.

The study was published in The Lancet Infectious Diseases journal after a request by the Health Ministry in Brazil, one of the countries hardest hit by the Zika outbreak.

The researchers wrote that the "striking association" led them to "conclude that the microcephaly epidemic is a result of congenital Zika virus infection".

If this is the case, "we should prepare for the epidemic of microcephaly to expand to all countries with current (local) Zika virus transmission and to those countries where transmission of the virus is likely to spread", the researchers wrote.

"We recommend... that we prepare for a global epidemic of microcephaly and other manifestations of congenital Zika syndrome."

The researchers also proposed adding Zika to a category of congenital infections known to happen before or during birth. The list includes toxoplasmosis, syphilis, rubella, cytomegalovirus, HIV and herpes.

Zika is a virus spread mainly by mosquitoes, but in rare cases via sex.

In most people, including pregnant women, it is benign with mild or no symptoms.

But in an outbreak that started mid-2015, it has been linked to microcephaly and rare, adult-onset neurological problems such as Guillain-Barre Syndrome (GBS), which can result in paralysis and death.

According to the WHO, more than 1.5 million people have been infected with Zika, mainly in Brazil, and more than 1,600 babies have been born with microcephaly since last year. There is no cure or vaccine.

Study shows Zika infected many pregnant women

The researchers said their study was the first to compare children with microcephaly to a "control" sample of healthy children with two controls for every malformed baby.

The team found 80 per cent of women who gave birth to babies with microcephaly had been infected by Zika while pregnant, compared with 64 per cent of mothers who delivered healthy babies.

This meant a very high percentage of pregnant women overall had been infected in Brazil's Zika epidemic area.

The scientists said the results were preliminary, with findings on another 400 babies that were included in the study to follow.

The team found that not all infants diagnosed with microcephaly had abnormalities show up in brain scans.

AFP
    Is there a vaccination yet?
    My solo pvp video: Yankunytjude... That attitude!
    Solo/small gang proposal: Ship Velocity Vectors

Quote Originally Posted by Aea View Post
    Getting?

Remember that the regions this is originating from have already developed am immunity.

Researchers are investigating leads that Zika may cause long term brain damage in adults.

Quote Originally Posted by Nu11u5 View Post
    Remember that the regions this is originating from have already developed am immunity.

Researchers are investigating leads that Zika may cause long term brain damage in adults.
    Ah shit. Am I going to have to start caring about this? Damn

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankunytjatjara View Post
    Nope. I don't think human trials start until next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post

*witty comment regarding your current posting ability*
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankunytjatjara View Post
    Nope. I don't think human trials start until next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post

*witty comment regarding your current posting ability*

Nerdstern wants us all to post in a thread that is literally 4 years old just because he made it

Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

I mean it is on-topic.

And this thread is fairly young by FHC standards.

This is pretty much the plot of World War Z.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

This is the end credits to Rise of the Planet of the Apes right?

Sent from my Potato using my fingers

Why does asia keep trying to kill everyone with deadly viruses?

Quote Originally Posted by evil edna View Post
    Why does asia keep trying to kill everyone with deadly viruses?
    Apparently it originated in an illegal market where people eat wolf pups, insects, monkeys, etc. Because of course.