hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 443 of 487 FirstFirst ... 343393433440441442443444445446453 ... LastLast
Results 8,841 to 8,860 of 9736

Thread: Pestilence or: How I Learned to Worry Constantly and Live with COVID

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    But now we're one week away and mainstream news has gone all quite on it already. COVID-19 is the only topic. I get it, it is a pressing matter - but in the long run, it'll be irrelevant compared to what consequences climate change will have.
    People click on covid stories. Especially if it makes them angry.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    yeah, it seems more likely each passing year that my previous "at least I don't have to suffer the brunt of it" attitude to the climate crisis, rising inequality and our pension system teetering on the verge of collapse was too optimistic.
    I might have a wonky perspective from my work and all but yeah they pretty much all say 'doom, doom and more doom. Why should i care we are fucked. Might just live a little'.

I have said this for over a decade but the stick does not work in the long run. That being said i understand XR who say we tried for 30 or 40 years with nice ways but we only got baby steps. Its just not how mass-psychology works, people will just dig in their heels on either side of the fence.
    I really do not know how to answer the question of 'it is a multi generation problem to address' but this is clearly not the way. Maybe chinay has it correct......le sigh
    Schopenhauer:

All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..

I fully support taking any and all immediate steps to fight climate emergency, but I also sadly know that my influence is really limited and I also know that my chronic illness requires expensive medicines that need refrigeration so once the collapse starts it will be ExtraFunTimes

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Longtime family friend reported that his son died of COVID. Father and son not vaccinated, both were overweight, son had mild asthma. Son leaves behind two young daughters.

Aunt has covid, says it's not a joke. Says she's getting better. Not vaccinated.
    A month or two ago, her brother got the Pfizer shot (and sheepishly admitted it when asked by my father) after his wife got covid and was hospitalized. She was not vaccinated.
    I do not know the vax status of the rest of my dad's side of the family, but they're mostly hard-core Republicans, so I have a good guess.

Dad has his booster shot scheduled. He's debating whether he should get a third Pfizer shot or get a Moderna one. I will probably be getting a Pfizer shot after getting two Moderna shots.

Three people in my workgroup got booster shots this past Friday, two of them were knocked out for about a day.
    Last edited by Nordstern; November 23 2021 at 01:17:29 AM.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard (updated link)

I got a Pfizer booster shot after getting two Moderna shots. So far, no one out of the 7 people who I know got a booster felt sick afterwards. I didn’t feel anything either, only maybe slightly sore the morning after.

Also had zero side effects on 3rd pfizer booster in September.

Pfizer / Moderna? Cross vaccination doesn't matter just be sure you get one after 4-6 months. Especially important to get an mrna booster shot after vector vaccination like Astra and j&j

Boy, I'm quite jealous when reading that you all have gotten your boosters already.

The amount of currently going on in Germany has reached unprecedented highs. We have record breaking infection rates, clinics and hospitals report that their intense care beds are at 100% occupation rate already, shuffling patients around the country. Noteworthy in that regard: during the 1. wave, were not a single soul has been vaccinated, we were able to take in foreign patients, e.g. from Italy. We have less care personal than in the first waves, because quite a few left their job after what was demand from them and were delivered by them. And all they got was a lousy [s]t-shirt[/i] "thank you". No better working conditions, no wage rises, nothing. And because the pandemic hits Germany harder than ever, the not-yet-officialy-in-reign new government coalition cancelled the formal state of national pandemic emergency, which was in place until now, allowing states governments to enact regulations as needed, i.e. lockdowns. And because no one - except every expert in the field - predicted this 4th wave, Germany also closed down almost all large(r) vaccination centers (smaller and mobile ones still exist). Doctors should take over all of the vaccination. And unlike in other countries, pharmacies do not participate.

Coming back to booster shots ... until last week (IIRC, may have been two weeks ago), people were rejected form getting a booster shot, because they were a couple of days away from the 6 month period after their second shot. People were actually send away when they showed up in vaccination centers. In theory, the ones that got their vaccination first obviously are the ones that would also require their booster shots first, alas - no preparation of any kind has been made as of yet.

And this all without mentioning those who willingly refused vaccination in the first place. I am well aware of the fact that there are people unable to become vaccinated due to medical reasons, but of the ~ 30% not vaccinated right now, they're a tiny tiny fraction of these. And I actually pity them for potentially being mistaken as yet another anti-vaxxer idiot.

The only positive thing right now is that the vaccinated part of the populace increasingly becomes angry and impatient. Where politics still preaches education campaigns & (monetary) incentives will convince those, recent polls show that the vaccinated majority, who has been terrorized by the loud minority for the past two years, has enough. Fuck yeah - we want mandatory vaccination, July poll: < 40% support, current poll: > 64% support. Fuck no - don't even think about handing out monetary incentives: > 80%.

Vaccine passes are the way to go here. If you want to attend a concert, football match or just about any event really, flash that QR code and you're in. If not you can go right back home and come back when the pandemic subsides.

Do we have statistics yet on how vaccinated people are faring in terms of intensive care, long term covid and other nasty side effects from the disease plotted over time from their second shot? My biggest worry is an increase of ICU beds being taken up by vaccinated people as time passes , not so much an increase in symptomatic infections.

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Boy, I'm quite jealous when reading that you all have gotten your boosters already.

The amount of currently going on in Germany has reached unprecedented highs. We have record breaking infection rates, clinics and hospitals report that their intense care beds are at 100% occupation rate already, shuffling patients around the country. Noteworthy in that regard: during the 1. wave, were not a single soul has been vaccinated, we were able to take in foreign patients, e.g. from Italy. We have less care personal than in the first waves, because quite a few left their job after what was demand from them and were delivered by them. And all they got was a lousy [s]t-shirt[/i] "thank you". No better working conditions, no wage rises, nothing. And because the pandemic hits Germany harder than ever, the not-yet-officialy-in-reign new government coalition cancelled the formal state of national pandemic emergency, which was in place until now, allowing states governments to enact regulations as needed, i.e. lockdowns. And because no one - except every expert in the field - predicted this 4th wave, Germany also closed down almost all large(r) vaccination centers (smaller and mobile ones still exist). Doctors should take over all of the vaccination. And unlike in other countries, pharmacies do not participate.

Coming back to booster shots ... until last week (IIRC, may have been two weeks ago), people were rejected form getting a booster shot, because they were a couple of days away from the 6 month period after their second shot. People were actually send away when they showed up in vaccination centers. In theory, the ones that got their vaccination first obviously are the ones that would also require their booster shots first, alas - no preparation of any kind has been made as of yet.

And this all without mentioning those who willingly refused vaccination in the first place. I am well aware of the fact that there are people unable to become vaccinated due to medical reasons, but of the ~ 30% not vaccinated right now, they're a tiny tiny fraction of these. And I actually pity them for potentially being mistaken as yet another anti-vaxxer idiot.

The only positive thing right now is that the vaccinated part of the populace increasingly becomes angry and impatient. Where politics still preaches education campaigns & (monetary) incentives will convince those, recent polls show that the vaccinated majority, who has been terrorized by the loud minority for the past two years, has enough. Fuck yeah - we want mandatory vaccination, July poll: < 40% support, current poll: > 64% support. Fuck no - don't even think about handing out monetary incentives: > 80%.
    It is almost the same in Holland as you said. But we have 89% first vax and 78% two shots. It seems that a stubborn 11% of the population over 18 refuse any vax. I cant really blame them because of the dumb way the gov is handling it.

The booster shot are just a new fuck up. Instead of pinpointing the target groups we just seem to blanket carp bomb groups that are not proven to be the 'vulnerable' or most of the 'transmitors'. Looking at Holland its 1. >60 year old 2.non vaxed and 3. unhealty as in obese etc in the Intensive Care right now. What do we do? we start at december 10 with >80 then >70 etc.

Germany took many of our patients last year/early this year but we have the same issue. Less ICU beds and the sick rate is now at 15 to 20% for nurses (used to be at 5%-ish). All of them say it is not about the pay but lack of support and over-working them to a health crisis now almost 2 years in this covid shit.

Dont even get me started about my schizoid paranoid patients .....ugggh
    Schopenhauer:

First, it is ridiculed.

To get into clubs over here you have to have proof of vaccination or a negative test from the same day. Noone is upset about this. Boosters coming soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Also that didn't sound like abloo bloo to me, PM me and we can agree on a meeting spot and settle this with queensberry rules, that's a serious offer btw. I've been a member of this community since 2005 and i've never met a more toxic individual.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    Vaccine passes are the way to go here. If you want to attend a concert, football match or just about any event really, flash that QR code and you're in. If not you can go right back home and come back when the pandemic subsides.

Do we have statistics yet on how vaccinated people are faring in terms of intensive care, long term covid and other nasty side effects from the disease plotted over time from their second shot? My biggest worry is an increase of ICU beds being taken up by vaccinated people as time passes , not so much an increase in symptomatic infections.
    Bruv QR codes is a false sense of security. I can understand the idea but i can be looking healthy and have a valid QR code bur still contagious for a few days till i have symptoms.
    Looks good on paper sure.
    Schopenhauer:

First, it is ridiculed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacul View Post

Bruv QR codes is a false sense of security. I can understand the idea but i can be looking healthy and have a valid QR code bur still contagious for a few days till i have symptoms.
    It is still way way lower risk of that compared to letting the unvaccinated idiots run around. Studies seem to hint that a vaccinated unsymptomatic carrier is about 60% less likely to pass it on as an unvaccinated carrier, and a vaccinated person is 60-80% less likely to catch it, leading to 84 - 92% reduction in the likelyhood of infection. After you also consider the odds being way less for an vaccinated person to be a carrier in the first place the pass is really worth it. No, it isn't an absolute guarantee, but there are no such things.

And to add data, currently in Finland, litte over 80% of the population has had at least two doses and hospital occupancy shows that the unvaccinated minority takes 70-80% of the hospital beds and around 90-95% of ICU beds. If you consider the size difference of the population groups and that the vaccine cover is best among the elderly and thus most likely to end up in hospital the effectiveness of the vaccines is pretty stunning.

Currently in Finland it is estimated that a unvaccinated person has 33 times the risk to end up in ICU from infection.

Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacul View Post

It is still way way lower risk of that compared to letting the unvaccinated idiots run around. Studies seem to hint that a vaccinated unsymptomatic carrier is about 60% less likely to pass it on as an unvaccinated carrier, and a vaccinated person is 60-80% less likely to catch it, leading to 84 - 92% reduction in the likelyhood of infection. After you also consider the odds being way less for an vaccinated person to be a carrier in the first place the pass is really worth it. No, it isn't an absolute guarantee, but there are no such things.
    It is also an incentive to get vaccinated.

The evidence is now overwhelming that vaccines are safe (a few people per million have significant side-effects), very effective at reducing the risk of serious illness and slightly reduce transmission. We can now base this on billions of vaccinated people. The 'I'm not an anti-vaxxer, I'm just doing my own research' people might have had a valid view point at the start of the year. They are simply being stupid and selfish at this point.

I was interested in this, because a lot of places are refuting that the unvaccinated are in the hospitals. Fun fact refute this https://fullfact.org/health/economis...nation-status/

They say that is only ~35% of unvaccinated taking up hospital admissions.

But if we are at 80% vaccine take up https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/vaccinations. That means 20% of the population are making up 35% of the hospital admissions, 61% of hospital admissions are taken up by vaccinated. (ignoring the 4% of paritals for now).

That means that ubvaccinated are over representing themselves in the hospitals, 1.75x (35/20) more likely to go to hospital with covid, compared to 0.76x (61/80) likely for a vaccinated?

Is there similar data for finland or other countries? I'm interested in Ireland too as they claim on their radio to have the highest vaccine rollout.

Anecdotally my mother works in NICU for the NHS and there are plenty of mothers rolling in with covid, new babies suffering with covid. This was somewhat confirmed on irish radio as they were putting out lots of ads on the radio asking pregnant mums to be to get the vaccine.

I spent a good bit of time in ireland recently as you can tell!

The emerging statistics on ICU occupation show that the vaccine is working well in preventing serious illness. The decline in antibodies several months after your second shot doesn't seem to matter that much in terms of clinical outcomes.

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ters-covid-jab

Quote Originally Posted by Equium Duo View Post
    I was interested in this, because a lot of places are refuting that the unvaccinated are in the hospitals. Fun fact refute this https://fullfact.org/health/economis...nation-status/

But if we are at 80% vaccine take up https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/vaccinations. That means 20% of the population are making up 35% of the hospital admissions, 61% of hospital admissions are taken up by vaccinated. (ignoring the 4% of paritals for now).

That means that ubvaccinated are over representing themselves in the hospitals, 1.75x (35/20) more likely to go to hospital with covid, compared to 0.76x (61/80) likely for a vaccinated?

Is there similar data for finland or other countries? I'm interested in Ireland too as they claim on their radio to have the highest vaccine rollout.

Anecdotally my mother works in NICU for the NHS and there are plenty of mothers rolling in with covid, new babies suffering with covid. This was somewhat confirmed on irish radio as they were putting out lots of ads on the radio asking pregnant mums to be to get the vaccine.

Apparently there are quite a few vaccinated people in hospital, but much fewer in ICU.

75% of hospitalizations in slovenia is by unvaccinated. Our vaccination rate is at horrible 54%.

#edit: thats for the icu. Hospitalizations are 68% vs 32%.
    Last edited by Zeekar; November 23 2021 at 09:33:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by duckduck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Equium Duo View Post

Apparently there are quite a few vaccinated people in hospital, but much fewer in ICU.
    I'll try and find ICU data.

The vaccines are a very effective prophylactic.

The use of anti-virals will hopefully massively reduce the strain on ICU further.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.