hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 440 of 468 FirstFirst ... 340390430437438439440441442443450 ... LastLast
Results 8,781 to 8,800 of 9342

Thread: Pestilence or: How I Learned to Worry Constantly and Live with COVID

Quote Originally Posted by August View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    So, ignore quality and actual proof in lieu of fast results?
    Like, the PhD who co-wrote with the highschooler. A quick, 5 minute cursory overview of the other papers he's submitted show us he's actually a paper submission mill, and is co-authoring on a bunch of random garbage with anyone.

A pitifully low quality bar, as I said.
    Publication represents neither quality nor proof. Besides, for something as fast moving and urgent as COVID, you don't want to wait for publication.

Appointments for booster shots have started to open up for this month, so I hope to get mine soon. It is supposed to improve efficacy back to around 95%. Not surprisingly, that information comes from Pfizier and Moderna themselves and has not been formally peer-reviewed to date as far as I can tell, but I am still going to get the shot.
    The director of Pfizer NL was on the tellie last night saying we need a booster shoot, now i aint saying we dont need it and i am getting one in 9 days but a guest said, not the host, 'You are just a salesman right now' to which he answered i cant deny that and the proof of a 3rd shot is still uncertain on how it will help.
    Now that the immediate crisis is over we can for certain say, yet again, its a business model.
    Schopenhauer:

All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..

Boosters overflowing while the global south is still lacking resources, working as intended!

I think it's a bit unfair to say third shots are completely unproven, there's plenty of evidence of it drastically increasing antibodies in people who have had some waning. It will almost certainly help, the question is how much, for which there is some evidence starting to emerge, but it is currently very preliminary.

From what I understood so far, we know that all vaccines lose effect after 3 to 6 months. We don't know if booster shots hello with that, but I guess it's partially "gotta be seen doing something to protect voters" and partially "hey mister, where do you want this billion does you ordered last year before antivax became mainstream majority, I want my money now".

So given that most elderly people were given their jab at least 6 months ago, it's not unreasonable to think that giving them a booster shot would improve their protection, right? They're still vulnerable to Covid if unprotected and the booster shot does cause an immune response.

The claim that 'a 3rd shot is still uncertain on how it will help' is just classic misdirection. There is some uncertainty about new and evolving science, but we have pretty good evidence they are effective:

Quote Originally Posted by El Capitano View Post
    I think it's a bit unfair to say third shots are completely unproven, there's plenty of evidence of it drastically increasing antibodies in people who have had some waning. It will almost certainly help, the question is how much, for which there is some evidence starting to emerge, but it is currently very preliminary.
    I did not say it was 'unproven'. I said that the director of Pfizer in Holland says 'the effects are still uncertain'. Which of course makes total sense for various reasons.
    Schopenhauer:

All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..

Quote Originally Posted by Sacul View Post
    I did not say it was 'unproven'. I said that the director of Pfizer in Holland says 'the effects are still uncertain'. Which of course makes total sense for various reasons.
    That's pretty serious hair splitting. The effects we're really interested in are whether it provides a meaningful additional element of protection. The main 2 effects we're interested in are:

1. Does it boost waning immunity back to the level it would be after the first 2 doses?
    2. Does it reduce the waining rate at all?

This all assumes that protection is waning in vaccinated individuals and there is at least some evidence it is in the older cohorts who were vaccinated first. So, given that, would a booster shot actually provide protection against symptomatic or serious Covid? There's little evidence it wouldn't, it's just another dose of the same vaccine, after all. Would it extend the period before protection wanes significantly again? The jury's still very much out on that.

So, ultimately, if you think that the vaccine effects are waning amongst older members of the population and given the very high likelihood that another dose of the vaccine would at least buy you another six months of protection, why wouldn't you go for it? Sure, we're still uncertain of its full effects, but there's enough evidence it will offer another period of protection.

I'm all for boosters, I got mine, but it's insane to be worrying about booster shots vs completely unvaccinated populations. We should do that before we worry about boosting because, well it's fucking dumb to not stop variants boosters might be not even be able to handle without additional work in the future.

Hopefully the programs in place to crack the tech behind how the mRNA vaccines were manufactured and engineered will yield results.

ITT

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lief Siddhe View Post
    Approaching an epidemic through the lens of culture war politics is retarded beyond belief.
    This is the most amazing self-own I've ever seen

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dzajic View Post
    From what I understood so far, we know that all vaccines lose effect after 3 to 6 months. We don't know if booster shots hello with that, but I guess it's partially "gotta be seen doing something to protect voters" and partially "hey mister, where do you want this billion does you ordered last year before antivax became mainstream majority, I want my money now".
    Literally nothing in this post is fully accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dzajic View Post
    From what I understood so far, we know that all vaccines lose effectIVENESS after 3 to 6 months.
    Literally nothing in this post is fully accurate.
    Well the first sentence is sorta correct. We're at a point now where third booster shots are pretty much recommended for everyone after 6months. They also show a very promising spike in antibodies compared to the 2nd, especially in people with weaker immune systems or immunsuppressants.
    (proper mrna vaccines that is, none of this AZ & J&J shite)
    Last edited by Stoffl; November 6 2021 at 07:54:47 AM.

Despite being fully vaccinated my wife and I have Covid. on has it too but he's 5 so shrugged it off after a few days of coughing / runny nose.
    We feel like hammered shit. Woe :/
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Despite being fully vaccinated my wife and I have Covid. on has it too but he's 5 so shrugged it off after a few days of coughing / runny nose.

Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lief Siddhe View Post
    Approaching an epidemic through the lens of culture war politics is retarded beyond belief.
    This is the most amazing self-own I've ever seen
    This is the most amazing continuous missing the point in this thread I've ever seen
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    the jabs stop it hopefully killing you, not that you don't ever get it. get well soon.

Good thing you're vaccinated then eh.

Hope you and the missus get well soon dude. Without the 5G jab it could have been much worse. My sister had it pre-christmas last year and shes still trying to get over the after effects. GL.
    Shitting up eve for .... well, longer than most of you scumbags.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Coutu View Post
    Good thing you're vaccinated then eh.
    At this point i'd rather be 5.