hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 457 of 487 FirstFirst ... 357407447454455456457458459460467 ... LastLast
Results 9,121 to 9,140 of 9736

Thread: Pestilence or: How I Learned to Worry Constantly and Live with COVID

nowadays I don't have a tv, don't listen to radio, don't use social media and only check the news online once a day at the most, and from a site that isn't supported by ads. The news is still bleak and focused on bad things because that brings visitors but at least it isn't as horrible as in the ad money seeking sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    @ Lief - I know it's hard, dude. I know. I'm going through my own personal hell for over a year now and I can barely see the light. What we can do is try to make it through and understand that the people next to us go through the same struggles and fights, some harder than others, true, but crippling nonetheless. The problem I have is also with governments but unfortunately it's still the people who elected those cunts in the first place so the hope is to ride it out and maybe choose differently when the time comes. At the same time trying to maintain ourselves above water and trying to understand certain things.

One of those things is that TV and announcements are just intensifying the mental health issues we are all going through. I had a mother almost accuse me for her daughter's positive covid test. It's fucking heartbreaking that she even thought about something like that in the first place, I mean wtf. I have a beef with a lot of shit, but not with the people around me, and that's what we need to remember.

I've had decent results with therapy and jazz. YMMV, of course. Please be safe and sound, as much as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Lief Siddhe View Post
    If you understood what I posted before, my beef IS with governments and corporations not doing enough and using this epidemic to pretend they're doing something worthwhile. But it's quite obvious you didn't. I never blamed the people who don't work, I blamed governments that implement measures that result in people losing jobs. Now, you can ignore these people at your own peril, but they're also victims of this epidemic and there's much more of them than the 5 million that died.

@ cosmin - As anecdotal evidence, I lost several jobs last year because of the pandemic (thank fuck we had earthquakes in the middle of all that shit so I could at least find some construction gigs), got exactly 0 money from the government for being a freelancer and not a big company, several of my friends that I worked with had to close down their companies and I have a father who is a serious mental case and who I can't even get fucking admitted because admitting new cases is not happening because of COVID and who I'm handling among 3 jobs I'm currently working. We're wrecking a whole country, kids and youth and working people because a virus is killing old and sick people (vast majority of fatal cases, 80+percent). It's sad for their families but it's what viruses do and I have nothing but understanding for the overworked and understaffed and underpaid medical workers but we can't all stop living and just hide away until this virus magically disappears because it won't, well with the current vaccines it definitely isn't happening. My hope is that this Omicron variant finally turns this virus into more infectious and less deadly and everyone stops being a hypochondriac.

I'm not complaining that I can't go see a movie for fuck sake. ALTHOUGH let me tell you: all work and no play make Jack a dull boy (and in need of psychiatric help, as can be seen from the data about overdoses and kids with depression I posted on a previous page) and that's also one of the reasons people (at least here) are getting increasingly against lockdowns, since I'd say their effect on the number of deaths isn't that big since the most vulnerable (the old and sick) don't go to huge mass gatherings, concerts and for coffee and whatnot that much anyway, I imagine. So, at best, you're "protecting" 20% out of 0.019% of people who actually die from COVID (according to https://covid19.who.int/) at the expense of literaly tens of millions of people around the world. How accurate these numbers are I dunno, but it's what we're at regarding lockdowns.

Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    nowadays I don't have a tv, don't listen to radio, don't use social media and only check the news online once a day at the most, and from a site that isn't supported by ads. The news is still bleak and focused on bad things because that brings visitors but at least it isn't as horrible as in the ad money seeking sites.

Marry me duckslayer <3

Don't even get me started on the media's coverage of this, you'd think you can't walk the streets without wading through a sea of corpses, picking up 3 new variants and infecting 150 people cause you wiped your nose with your sleeve and didn't get 4 more booster shots in the last 2 weeks.
    Last edited by Lief Siddhe; December 19 2021 at 10:09:27 PM.
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

What do you do with your girlfriend/wife at home then?

Quote Originally Posted by duckduck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrixus Zephyr View Post
    A lockdown is no substitute for your immune system or for your country's healthcare system. They're a kneejerk reaction and stopgap measure at best that makes the government look like they're in control by replacing short term consequences for long term ones.
    No country can pull a better healthcare system out of their ass on a whim, that was exactly why most countries locked down you asshat.
    Nah to be honest i get Lief's point.

The thing is we are almost 2 years in this pandemic and how i understand the Dutch numbers there was extensive research to the first lockdown and the effects were really minimal for the drastic impact to society.
    So the gov got those numbers and instead of a full curfew they opted to close all shops at 17:00 or 20:00.

Again so far scientists say this stopping of traffic, which is the real goal-stop interaction, has minimal effects. You could say any effect is better than no effect sure. The drastic impact on society is huge tho. We are down to 4 people recommended at e.g. xmas. Survey says 80% will ignore it after 2020.

I do not have the answers but in my opinion looking at the billions spend, giving everybody a free gym membership will do just as much as the impotent measures taken.
    You say things like "there was extensive research to the first lockdown and the effects were really minimal" and "so far scientists say this stopping of traffic, which is the real goal-stop interaction, has minimal effects". Do you have any basis for these views? Or is it just something you heard on FB?
    Fair point duck.

So i get my numbers from my corporation information dashboard (of course in dutch). I work for the largest mental health care company in Holland. I deleted my FB in 2014.

Curfew and lockdown seem to be between 4 to 10% effective, all studies say those aspect are really hard to measure. For example face mask is at 13% solid effective and room scrubbers (as i understood it machines like on planes cleaning air) are at 18-28% effective. The compound measure in % is what you usually see in then news. All my numbers are of course NL.
    For those reasons my company has invested millions on room air scrubbers for group counselling and work -at site- conference rooms who are now equipped with them. We also are mandated to put on face masks in the office plus we have a 100% vaccination rate.

So pls do read what i said again and i get 'any effect is better than no effect' but from my work field i am biased, i said this many times before on FHC as a psych. My point is just that the lockdown and curfew measures are such a disrupting measure to society i doubt them.

Looking at numbers in ICU. Its is high elderly, then non vax and after that people with underlying health care issues, biggest group of them being obese patients. So if you look at NL spending over 10b by now get everybody a free gym pass for a year. Getting obese ppl down out of icu is the top 3 cost saver, as i get it they dont die much just a long time on icu.

e
    When i speak of R it is of course R(t). Ane when i say i am biased i do look more at psych health issues that other issues.
    Last edited by Sacul; December 20 2021 at 03:17:51 AM.
    Schopenhauer:

All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Duck asks for sources, Sacul instead pulls more stats out of his anus with a helping reach around from Bro Jogan. "BUT ITS ON MY WORK DASHBOARD". Mfw your work dashboard has access to totally different numbers than everyone else

Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Duck asks for sources, Sacul instead pulls more stats out of his anus with a helping reach around from Bro Jogan. "BUT ITS ON MY WORK DASHBOARD". Mfw your work dashboard has access to totally different numbers than everyone else
    yeh man sure pull Rogan in here, you do you bro.

I really dont think my work numbers are pulling it out of my arse. Especially as they they are the numbers mandating face masks at work and scrubbers at work that cost millions.

You seem to be mistaken me for a right wing vax denier for a year now. Pls read what i said or just get fucked.

I actually work in a field where measures are really important both for patients and our work crew. Why in the world would i spout lies about it all as i just get my numbers from work and deal with it every day. I am saying i am biased, said so many many times, and i am reporting from my real life.

Do tell us more from the work field of whatever the fuck you do in energy Lord Haw Haw.

I am sure its way more valuable than from somebody actually working in health care and now again doing weekend volunteer work as i did in march-june 2020.

The only person on this forum i actually trust on rl experience data is Cosmin as he also actually works in health care but seems to have a different experience than me.
    Last edited by Sacul; December 20 2021 at 03:09:29 AM.
    Schopenhauer:

All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..

Marry me duckslayer <3

Don't even get me started on the media's coverage of this, you'd think you can't walk the streets without wading through a sea of corpses, picking up 3 new variants and infecting 150 people cause you wiped your nose with your sleeve and didn't get 4 more booster shots in the last 2 weeks.
    I generally think media has gone off the rails on all sides, not just right wing. It's all manner of doomsaying and that's all it's been since the start. No matter your views there's some major article blaming everyone but government and corporations, and largely its sowing the seeds of the things people are becoming deranged about. I've become less and less inclined to read any articles about breaking news on new developments because they are walked back or rearranged so infrequently after being proven wrong. Not that I think watching some equally ill informed man talk about it on Youtube for an hour with a guest with fringe ideas is news of valu either, the simple truth is it's still unknown how things work from the start of the pandemic, and science isn't a speedrun. The panic inducment is not helping anyone though.

Donor
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkaday View Post
    https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-...-officials-74/

There seems to be some troublesome statements in there. I'm not quite sure. Some of it seems off? The "good guys" are "following the science" right?
    You have to put a bit more effort into your trolling. Which specific statements were troublesome?
    "We are intent on not letting Omicron disrupt work and school for the vaccinated. You’ve done the right thing, and we will get through this.

For the unvaccinated, you’re looking at a winter of severe illness and death for yourselves, your families, and the hospitals you may soon overwhelm."

Good luck everybody!

Just from today; 1-5 people even know what I'm talking about if I bring up omicron. lol
    Last edited by Arkaday; December 20 2021 at 06:50:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by August View Post
    Jesus christ I hate americans.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Coutu View Post
    Marry me duckslayer <3

I generally think media has gone off the rails on all sides, not just right wing.
    There is no left wing mainstream media.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Quote Originally Posted by August View Post

A lockdown is no substitute for your immune system or for your country's healthcare system. They're a kneejerk reaction and stopgap measure at best that makes the government look like they're in control by replacing short term consequences for long term ones.
    No country can pull a better healthcare system out of their ass on a whim, that was exactly why most countries locked down you asshat.

The thing is we are almost 2 years in this pandemic and how i understand the Dutch numbers there was extensive research to the first lockdown and the effects were really minimal for the drastic impact to society.
    So the gov got those numbers and instead of a full curfew they opted to close all shops at 17:00 or 20:00.

Again so far scientists say this stopping of traffic, which is the real goal-stop interaction, has minimal effects. You could say any effect is better than no effect sure. The drastic impact on society is huge tho. We are down to 4 people recommended at e.g. xmas. Survey says 80% will ignore it after 2020.

I do not have the answers but in my opinion looking at the billions spend, giving everybody a free gym membership will do just as much as the impotent measures taken.
    You say things like "there was extensive research to the first lockdown and the effects were really minimal" and "so far scientists say this stopping of traffic, which is the real goal-stop interaction, has minimal effects". Do you have any basis for these views? Or is it just something you heard on FB?
    Fair point duck.

So i get my numbers from my corporation information dashboard (of course in dutch). I work for the largest mental health care company in Holland. I deleted my FB in 2014.

Curfew and lockdown seem to be between 4 to 10% effective, all studies say those aspect are really hard to measure. For example face mask is at 13% solid effective and room scrubbers (as i understood it machines like on planes cleaning air) are at 18-28% effective. The compound measure in % is what you usually see in then news. All my numbers are of course NL.
    For those reasons my company has invested millions on room air scrubbers for group counselling and work -at site- conference rooms who are now equipped with them. We also are mandated to put on face masks in the office plus we have a 100% vaccination rate.

So pls do read what i said again and i get 'any effect is better than no effect' but from my work field i am biased, i said this many times before on FHC as a psych. My point is just that the lockdown and curfew measures are such a disrupting measure to society i doubt them.

Looking at numbers in ICU. Its is high elderly, then non vax and after that people with underlying health care issues, biggest group of them being obese patients. So if you look at NL spending over 10b by now get everybody a free gym pass for a year. Getting obese ppl down out of icu is the top 3 cost saver, as i get it they dont die much just a long time on icu.

e
    When i speak of R it is of course R(t). Ane when i say i am biased i do look more at psych health issues that other issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Coutu View Post
    Marry me duckslayer <3

I generally think media has gone off the rails on all sides, not just right wing. It's all manner of doomsaying and that's all it's been since the start. No matter your views there's some major article blaming everyone but government and corporations, and largely its sowing the seeds of the things people are becoming deranged about. I've become less and less inclined to read any articles about breaking news on new developments because they are walked back or rearranged so infrequently after being proven wrong. Not that I think watching some equally ill informed man talk about it on Youtube for an hour with a guest with fringe ideas is news of valu either, the simple truth is it's still unknown how things work from the start of the pandemic, and science isn't a speedrun. The panic inducment is not helping anyone though.

Bitesize. Nice.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-...-officials-74/

There seems to be some troublesome statements in there. I'm not quite sure. Some of it seems off? The "good guys" are "following the science" right?
    You have to put a bit more effort into your trolling. Which specific statements were troublesome?
    "We are intent on not letting Omicron disrupt work and school for the vaccinated. You’ve done the right thing, and we will get through this.

For the unvaccinated, you’re looking at a winter of severe illness and death for yourselves, your families, and the hospitals you may soon overwhelm."

Good luck everybody!

Just from today; 1-5 people even know what I'm talking about if I bring up omicron. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Bitesize. Nice.

Fair point duck.

e
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.