hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 487 of 489 FirstFirst ... 387437477484485486487488489 LastLast
Results 9,721 to 9,740 of 9774

Thread: Pestilence or: How I Learned to Worry Constantly and Live with COVID

Carlos sounds like a Chad and i demand a picture

I am allways interested in stuff i dont think about normally and just stumble on like FHC talks.

Do me a favor pls and in general elaborate what stuff like '75 head' is. We talking 75 aussi dollah per cow? 7500? What is 'external' inputs etc. Again i am a city boy. Not looking for full wiki explanations but obvious things for you are woooosh for me sometimes.

I can tell you about my balcony garden lavender farm
    Schopenhauer:

All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..

The food prices are already going up, massively in some places. With the international logistics still being fubar on top of the war and sanctions and the covid era period of free loans going away it will be rough for a while. In the rich west probably not catastrophically bad, but middle east might be fucked, again.

Quote Originally Posted by Lief Siddhe View Post
    I'm not. He's speaking from a USA point of view.

Unless there's a nuclear war, USA profits from all of this the most and loses the least.
    USA profits from any conflict in Europe by virtue of geography alone. Nothing changed in that regard since WW1.

Hence rest of Europe not helping Ukraine more will ultimately blow up in their face.

Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    The food prices are already going up, massively in some places. With the international logistics still being fubar on top of the war and sanctions and the covid era period of free loans going away it will be rough for a while. In the rich west probably not catastrophically bad, but middle east might be fucked, again.
    And as per usual the normal suspects take a head start. New harvest not even in +8% anyway, still fuming at last half years 'futures' gas prices +17% anyway.

I read that some countries are demanding a 25% extra charge over profits from gas and oil companies because of this. NL is talking about it in parliament but no chance that will happen here.
    Schopenhauer:

First, it is ridiculed.

The rising food prices will be the smaller problem.

What's really gonna fuck things up are shortages in fertilizers and food harvests/exports.

It's "easier" to survive food being more expensive than no food being available.

So yeah, Africa, Middle East and China are in for a very rough period, which will in turn continue the economic downward spiral worldwide.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN] View Post
    Whats teh color coding for that map. That could be a map of sea ants and their pray for all we know.

The image was unfiltered: cargo vessels, tankers, passenger vessels, tugs, special craft, pleasure craft, fishing vessels and unspecified ships.
    A better picture, merchant and tankers only:

https://twitter.com/NicolasSchifan1/...357952/photo/1

Also. the severe lockdowns are damaging supply chains out of China, western nations are increasingly either reshoring jobs closer to the end consumer and with more secure supply lines or the are moving the manufacturing to lower labor cost states (something that had already started due to massively increasing wage costs in China). All of these actions take time and are costly. We put the manufacturing in China and oil/gas supply from Russia, unreliable totalitarians states and now we are paying the price.

Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lief Siddhe View Post
    I'm not. He's speaking from a USA point of view.

Unless there's a nuclear war, USA profits from all of this the most and loses the least.
    USA profits from any conflict in Europe by virtue of geography alone. Nothing changed in that regard since the 1700's.

Hence rest of Europe not helping Ukraine more will ultimately blow up in their face.
    FYP

Quote Originally Posted by Sacul View Post
    Carlos sounds like a Chad and i demand a picture

I am allways interested in stuff i dont think about normally and just stumble on like FHC talks.

Do me a favor pls and in general elaborate what stuff like '75 head' is. We talking 75 aussi dollah per cow? 7500? What is 'external' inputs etc. Again i am a city boy. Not looking for full wiki explanations but obvious things for you are woooosh for me sometimes.

I can tell you about my balcony garden lavender farm
    Head means a cow, so 75 head means 75 cows. Price range is varied as you have different demands for heifers, cows, steers (castrated males), feeders, and so on. A shortage of animals going to slaughter due to restocking from a low caused by the drought caused record prices last year which may not be equalled this year. Also cattle are sold via auction at the saleyard so depending on the day and the number of animals available prices vary even more.

Estimate 1,500 to 1,800 AUD per head.

External imputs means adding chemicals like fertilizer to maintain production levels. Cropping removes elements from the soil as the grain is removed. To constantly crop you need to add fertilizer. I am fallowing where the land is returned to grazing plus I generate a small amount of natural fertilizer via composting. Other imputs are pesticides or herbicides which I so far haven't had to use.
    Last edited by Maximillian; May 13 2022 at 01:04:29 PM.

TIL. thanks mate

Mylavenders are not blooming yet but they do give a lovely scent

e:
    Do you make a healthy profit? With or without state subsidy?
    Last edited by Sacul; May 13 2022 at 01:12:11 PM.
    Schopenhauer:

First, it is ridiculed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacul View Post
    TIL. thanks mate

Mylavenders are not blooming yet but they do give a lovely scent

e:
    Do you make a healthy profit? With or without state subsidy?
    There are a few subsidies like not paying excise on diesel fuel and tax write offs but Australian farmers don't get large direct subsidies. I make far more from my investments but I could double my stock levels if I wasn't trying to regenerate the land.

So pushing it I could bring in say 225,000 to 250,000 minus costs to make maybe 150,000 just from the farm.

Missing the picture of chad bull Carlos!
    Schopenhauer:

First, it is ridiculed.

We are pretending to work they pretend they are paying us. Old communist times saying

Only in #China #airport #Covid19

mmmmmpfhahahahah
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

Keep in mind that grain prices going up is purely specualtion based.

Just learned this from a podcast yesterday: ~ 80% of grain trade is done by a few wholesalers ... which have large grain storages of which no one knows how large they are and what amount of grain there's stored in.

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post

Just learned this from a podcast yesterday: ~ 80% of grain trade is done by a few wholesalers ... which have large grain storages of which no one knows how large they are and what amount of grain there's stored in.
    Of course, since it an oligopoly, there definitely won't be any crisis inspired price gouging.
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

Quote Originally Posted by Dorvil Barranis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post

Of course, since it an oligopoly, there definitely won't be any crisis inspired price gouging.
    And obviously there will be zero corruption going on.....

(Cue "Sounds of Silence" melody)

Hello COVID my old friend ...

So I got the Covid finally.

Family wedding full of Republicans, of course that's where I'd get it. Like a dozen people there got it. Omicron being Omicron I think.

Despite all my many comorbidities, I lived (sorry to disappoint, lol).

Crushing fatigue day 1, flu-like and fever for two days after, then lingering flu-like for another 5-6 days.

Only long-COVID symptoms seems to be a nasty unproductive chest-cough that comes and goes, mostly comes. Maybe some lung damage, hard to really say.

But we soldier on. Thank god for the vaccines and boosters.
    Last edited by Alistair; June 14 2022 at 07:08:30 PM.

Doublepost.
    Last edited by Alistair; June 14 2022 at 07:07:55 PM.

I had my first positive test on Saturday. Had symptoms from Thursday evening on, tested myself using the antigen tests we use at school. Negative on Thursday evening, Friday, positive on Saturday. One of my housemates moved out for the time being, he has late stage cancer, but they managed to beat it into submission using chemo, now waiting for it to shrink for surgery. I just hope he didn't catch it.

Pretty mild on the symptoms, slightly higher temperature and a cough. Vaccines doing their thing it seems.
    nevar forget