Page 320 of 357 FirstFirst ... 220270310317318319320321322323330 ... LastLast
Results 6,381 to 6,400 of 7137

Thread: PLAGUE: Not even AZ is safe

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximillian View Post
    And, after saying they wouldn't, Italy and the EU have blocked a AZ shipment of 250K doses to Australia.

Frankly they need it more than us so we are not getting into a pissing match over it. Our own production will hit 1 mil doses a week by month's end anyway.

My State NSW has gone 50 days with no community cases.
    It's a bit strange that it gets so much press since both the US and the UK does the same thing. Apparantly the Biontech vaccine have even been exported from EU to the US and the UK for some reason.

Anyone found any decent stats on number of vaccines shipped/inoculated per chance?
    worth noting the UK doesn't actually have an export ban... just that the AZ factories (the only jab we're currently producing that can be used) are filling UK contracts first. Same thing at the moment though ultimately.
    The way I read it was that they have the mechanisms in place and that any vaccine must be cleared for export by the authorities. That they haven't denied exports is fortunate for optics I guess.
    I could be wrong and have missed it, but I think you're described the EU's system there... they've had that in place for a while and this Australian shipment is the only one so far to be denied. even allowed some exports to the uk!

I've gone back with a very quick google and there's a few stories that the UK considered implementing an export ban around Jan, but I can't see that it happened. happy to be corrected though.

No I think you're correct, I read a poorly sourced interview with Ursula Von der Leyen. The claim doesn't seem to check out.

Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Larkonnis View Post
    And, after saying they wouldn't, Italy and the EU have blocked a AZ shipment of 250K doses to Australia.

Frankly they need it more than us so we are not getting into a pissing match over it. Our own production will hit 1 mil doses a week by month's end anyway.

It's a bit strange that it gets so much press since both the US and the UK does the same thing. Apparantly the Biontech vaccine have even been exported from EU to the US and the UK for some reason.

Anyone found any decent stats on number of vaccines shipped/inoculated per chance?

Edit.

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavir...ickerSort=desc

Currentl doses administered: US 83m EU 37m UK 22m
    Posters here would cite that the UK being well ahead of the curve with regards to vaccine distribution is down to 'Are NHS' and not the fact the the government dipped out of the EU vaccine sharing scheme and made early deals.
    Thanks Brexit.
    It wasn't a mandatory scheme so still being in the EU would not have stopped us from doing the same. Blue passports though I guess?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    Just for the record, "sending a needy text" is never the right answer.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post

Edit.

Posters here would cite that the UK being well ahead of the curve with regards to vaccine distribution is down to 'Are NHS' and not the fact the the government dipped out of the EU vaccine sharing scheme and made early deals.
    Thanks Brexit.
    It wasn't a mandatory scheme so still being in the EU would not have stopped us from doing the same. Blue passports though I guess?
    How many EU members dipped out of the scheme?

Checkmate europhiles...

Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    I've gone back with a very quick google and there's a few stories that the UK considered implementing an export ban around Jan, but I can't see that it happened. happy to be corrected though.
    The UK has an export ban for medication to treat Covid in place, perhaps you saw that instead.

Yet, while Johnson hit out at the EU for weighing export controls on vaccines, the British government itself has a list of 174 medicines that are currently banned from export from the U.K., because they “are needed for UK patients.” Additions to the list in 2020 included around 100 medicines that have been suggested as possible treatments for COVID-19 patients or are being used to alleviate symptoms of COVID-19 patients in intensive care units.
    - https://www.politico.eu/article/uk-c...boris-johnson/

There is no export ban on vaccines from the UK, but the UK government appears to have secured priority access to vaccines produced in the UK so that nothing is exported anyway.

Edit.

Thanks Brexit.

Checkmate europhiles...
    They had the option and now they're paying the price for entrusting their progress to a larger slower mechanism when speed was of the essence.

We were literally offered the chance to partake despite leaving and nations inside had the opportunity to do what we did. Several EU nations have begun independent negotiations themselves for vaccines since.

I'm not sure why you're conflating us leaving the EU with us acquiring vaccines independently, they are not related.
    Just for the record, "sending a needy text" is never the right answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sp4m View Post
    Mum & Dad both have had first jab.

Feeling happy that I didn't give them it and now their chances of getting it are pretty slim and Feeling hopeful to see daughter this year.
    Israel had an increase in infections for people 8 days after they got the first jab.

I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir. But the next 3 weeks are critical - stay safe until then!

Edit.

Thanks Brexit.

Checkmate europhiles...
    All and none. Take your pick.
    Scheme was not mandatory or exclusive. UK opted out from this non-mandatory and not-exclusive scheme, which makes you think.

It would be lovely if we could all gather our news from non-breshit tory cocksucker media as well.
    Like from a really diverse, mostly non-autistic (opinions differ), former internet-spacheship-is-serious-business forum.
    Cheers.

I'm changing my original prediction of "couple of weeks till I get a chance to be vaccinated" to "maybe some time in 2022"

I have adjusted my mind to "sometime after summer" (which can be like from september to sometime in -22).
    Speaking of -22, it is now the new year (Jan -22) for returning to office, extended from previous July.

And Sweden has now had its first big anti-lock down protest - "Freedom & Truth" ('The most important manifestation in modern times').
    I...I....I dont...wtf... This is all so dumb I cant describe it in any words I know. If my response was a [picardfacepalm.jpg] it would be the size of teh fuckin sun!
    Some sprinkles of the other nutcase stuff around 5g, microchips, government psyops, its fake etc.
    Swedish article: https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a...ktioner--polis

I knew it would come, we are not immune to stupidity but I had hoped that not that many people actually showing up.
    They guy organizing it is the second to last picture in the article. I want him to get punched in the face.
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

Quote Originally Posted by Lief Siddhe View Post
    I'm changing my original prediction of "couple of weeks till I get a chance to be vaccinated" to "maybe some time in 2022"
    with the burgars deciding to open up the valves right in the middle of the vaccine deployment, there's a fairly significant risk of vaccine resistant variations arising, making the vaccine effort wasted time and resources.

bonus points if it happens in something like B117, that would be such a fun ride.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Full disclaimer: I actually want others to get vaccinated first, not in the sense "let's test it on others first kek" but because I don't care if I get it myself (covid, the disease I mean) and even die from it or whatever, if it's my turn it's my turn to go, I'd just hate transmiting it onto others. I had the flu like 2-3 times total in my life total and for me it's just 3 days of having diarrhea basically and that's it I'm good to go, and I generally rarely get sick despite years of abusing my body with drugs, alcohol, a completely irregular sleep schedule, stress, smoking, manual labour wear and tear and damage from hits/falls and everything else imaginable, so I'm kinda positively suspecting I might have gotten a lucky "DNA at birth" roll from my ancestors and could maybe quite resistant to this myself so I don't mind waiting for my turn to get the vaccine for months or however long if there's people who need it more than me. I'm totes cool with that, I'll wait my bloody turn.

But all these mutations... Man, I kinda think this whole vaccine thing will be more something you have to repeatedly get to be effective rather than something like the one-off ones we get as kids vs measles or whichever/all the children diseases are we get vaccinated for, one prick and you're set for the next forever years basically, that disease just can't gecha anymore. Now I'm a bit worried as it's starting to seem to me like it's gonna be more like the anti-flu shots (every year the vaccine is a bit different than the last one cause the flu changed too), with those afaik you have to get them before every flu season and they're not 100% effective since the bloody thing, well, mutates quickly so it's a constant catch-up race type of scenario :/

Fucking viruses, how do they work.mp3
    Last edited by Lief Siddhe; March 6 2021 at 08:17:57 PM.
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    Full disclaimer: I actually want others to get vaccinated first, not in the sense "let's test it on others first kek" but because I don't care if I get it myself (covid, the disease I mean) and even die from it or whatever, if it's my turn it's my turn to go, I'd just hate transmiting it onto others. I had the flu like 2-3 times total in my life total and for me it's just 3 days of having diarrhea basically and that's it I'm good to go, and I generally rarely get sick despite years of abusing my body with drugs, alcohol, a completely irregular sleep schedule, stress, smoking, manual labour wear and tear and damage from hits/falls and everything else imaginable, so I'm kinda positively suspecting I might have gotten a lucky "DNA at birth" roll from my ancestors and could maybe quite resistant to this myself so I don't mind waiting for my turn to get the vaccine for months or however long if there's people who need it more than me. I'm totes cool with that, I'll wait my bloody turn.

But all these mutations... Man, I kinda think this whole vaccine thing will be more something you have to repeatedly get to be effective rather than something like the one-off ones we get as kids vs measles or whichever/all the children diseases are we get vaccinated for, one prick and you're set for the next forever years basically, that disease just can't gecha anymore. Now I'm a bit worried as it's starting to seem to me like it's gonna be more like the anti-flu shots (every year the vaccine is a bit different than the last one cause the flu changed too), with those afaik you have to get them before every flu season and they're not 100% effective since the bloody thing, well, mutates quickly so it's a constant catch-up race type of scenario :/

mate, chill out

Likely yearky shots will be needed, but they will be just as easy to obtain if not more available than flu vaccines. mRna vaccines got pushed very fast over the finish line and now stand to be great tools in the field for a long time to come. You'll get your turn man, and i get not wanting to spread it to others, but it's def not your time to die, hoping for you to get it ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN] View Post
    I have adjusted my mind to "sometime after summer" (which can be like from september to sometime in -22).
    Speaking of -22, it is now the new year (Jan -22) for returning to office, extended from previous July.

And Sweden has now had its first big anti-lock down protest - "Freedom & Truth" ('The most important manifestation in modern times').
    I...I....I dont...wtf... This is all so dumb I cant describe it in any words I know. If my response was a [picardfacepalm.jpg] it would be the size of teh fuckin sun!
    Some sprinkles of the other nutcase stuff around 5g, microchips, government psyops, its fake etc.

I knew it would come, we are not immune to stupidity but I had hoped that not that many people actually showing up.
    They guy organizing it is the second to last picture in the article. I want him to get punched in the face.
    I do not know how well it is managed in Sweden but for NL i understand the anti-lockdown protests that have been going on the last 10 weeks.

Our gov is fucking it up in a truly spectacular way.
    Despite them denying it they are clearly mixing political and medical decisions.
    Some measures like the evening curfew have little to no effect yet they just extended it again, under the freedom of information act dutch edition papers came out stating that the gov deliberatly 'instilled fear' for better population compliance. Every week we hear messages of 'perspective' yet measures are not eased at all. The promised financial help turned out to be a lie (the talk is 90% but it is really 68%), SMB who had their taxes postponed are getting the bill the last 4 weeks despite being forced to close >7 months in 2020. Pubs cant open the outside terraces but 2000 people in a city park is acceptable.
    The list goes on but you get the jist. So yes as a citizen and a psychologist i Completely understand why people protest in NL.

All of the above needs to be combined with the optics that our dead rate is way down same for the hospitalization duration plus the daily talk on well we do with vaccination.
    Schopenhauer:

All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..

The real problem with events like this is that they create the impression that "the people" are tired of it. Which foolishly leads to politicans giving in to them. Just saw a poll (by Infratest dimap) yesterday for Germany, where asked what people think of the restrictions/lockdown. It turned out like
    - Too strict: ~ 30 %
    - Good as it is; a bit above 40%
    - Need to be even more strict: a bit below 30%

So a whooping ~ 70% still are OK with it, i.e. there are people using their brain left, after more than a year of lockdown(s). And although I personally have lost my job due to COVID and am currently unemployed, I'm amongst those ~ 30% that would like to see Germany doing even more and going down the NOCOVID/Zero-COVID route. There's a German proverb: "Lieber ein Ende mit Schrecken als ein Schrecken ohne Ende", which translates to (according to dict.eleo.org) "Rather a calamitous end than (an) endless calamity." Let's try this for a change than this Lock-it-down -> infection rates sink -> Open up again -> infection rates rise cycle we're into for a year now.

It's pretty alarming how many states are loosening the reins right now when in two months they'd be so much better off doing so. Why the fuck would you risk it all now when there's literally a million reasons to wait two more months.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Coutu View Post
    It's pretty alarming how many states are loosening the reins right now when in two months they'd be so much better off doing so. Why the fuck would you risk it all now when there's literally a million reasons to wait two more months.
    I would say they're doing it out of spite but tbh R politicians stopped doing things out of spite a long time ago. Now it's just a habit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post

The real problem with events like this is that they create the impression that "the people" are tired of it. Which foolishly leads to politicans giving in to them. Just saw a poll (by Infratest dimap) yesterday for Germany, where asked what people think of the restrictions/lockdown. It turned out like

So a whooping ~ 70% still are OK with it, i.e. there are people using their brain left, after more than a year of lockdown(s). And although I personally have lost my job due to COVID and am currently unemployed, I'm amongst those ~ 30% that would like to see Germany doing even more and going down the NOCOVID/Zero-COVID route. There's a German proverb: "Lieber ein Ende mit Schrecken als ein Schrecken ohne Ende", which translates to (according to dict.eleo.org) "Rather a calamitous end than (an) endless calamity." Let's try this for a change than this Lock-it-down -> infection rates sink -> Open up again -> infection rates rise cycle we're into for a year now.
    The internets and the media have always been good at amplifying small groups voices. If it has shock value it leads...

Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post

The internets and the media have always been good at amplifying small groups voices. If it has shock value it leads...
    Well, in this case the media (phoenix, to be exact) actually dialed back the narrative.

Fun fact: I took part in that poll. We have municipal elections here on the 14th (+2 state elections in Rhineland-Palatine and Baden-Württemberg) and the poll mainly dealt with that, but got a few general COVID related questions added to it.