hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 251 of 267 FirstFirst ... 151201241248249250251252253254261 ... LastLast
Results 5,001 to 5,020 of 5326

Thread: PLAGUE: Not even Best Korea is safe

  1. #5001
    mewninn's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    3,848
    Quote Originally Posted by dzajic View Post
    Competed to Rockefeller or Carnegie , Gates and Jobs are harmless and are acutely better used as argument for capitalism then one against it.

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    That's an amazing post

    Carnegie literally had the same progression and role in society as Bill Gates. First he became famous for ruthless consolidation and business practices, then he became famous for his generous philanthropy. During that time, he was also one of the arguments that the system worked...because he gave back.

  2. #5002
    Totally Not Larkonnis's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25, 2012
    Posts
    1,550
    Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dzajic View Post
    Competed to Rockefeller or Carnegie , Gates and Jobs are harmless and are acutely better used as argument for capitalism then one against it.

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    That's an amazing post

    Carnegie literally had the same progression and role in society as Bill Gates. First he became famous for ruthless consolidation and business practices, then he became famous for his generous philanthropy. During that time, he was also one of the arguments that the system worked...because he gave back.
    Ruthless businessmen who have stolen ideas/techniques from competitors but have otherwise enabled economic progress...

    Who have they stolen wealth from?


  3. #5003
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    22,070
    Labour.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

  4. #5004
    dzajic's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 15, 2011
    Posts
    3,718
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Labour.
    Gates and Jobs are among those who created the environment that allows the "highly payed IT professional" thing to exist. Carnegie, Fird, Edison, Rockfeller and other giants of Gilded Age exploited their workers to the death and literally sent private death squads to kill strikers.

    Completely comparable...

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

  5. #5005
    Donor
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    74
    Sacco and Vanzetti are only years away.

  6. #5006
    Jack Coutu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 9, 2011
    Location
    marketjacker
    Posts
    1,523
    Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Larkonnis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dzajic View Post
    Competed to Rockefeller or Carnegie , Gates and Jobs are harmless and are acutely better used as argument for capitalism then one against it.

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    That's an amazing post

    Carnegie literally had the same progression and role in society as Bill Gates. First he became famous for ruthless consolidation and business practices, then he became famous for his generous philanthropy. During that time, he was also one of the arguments that the system worked...because he gave back.
    Ruthless businessmen who have stolen ideas/techniques from competitors but have otherwise enabled economic progress...

    Who have they stolen wealth from?
    Having a monopoly is enabling economic progress for capitalist apologists? Hmmmmm

  7. #5007

    Join Date
    July 3, 2014
    Posts
    5,325
    Cases are rising in the EU but declining in Sweden. What are they doing differently?

    https://ig.ft.com/coronavirus-chart/...&values=deaths

  8. #5008
    Totally Not Larkonnis's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25, 2012
    Posts
    1,550
    Quote Originally Posted by Candy Crush View Post
    Cases are rising in the EU but declining in Sweden. What are they doing differently?

    https://ig.ft.com/coronavirus-chart/...&values=deaths
    Different populations, number of people in a household, demographics etc...

    With regards to the rising number of cases in the UK and 'local lockdowns' not restricting gatherings in pubs...
    Looking at those restricted areas... Really makes you think...
    Last edited by Totally Not Larkonnis; September 11 2020 at 05:36:12 PM.


  9. #5009

    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    627
    Quote Originally Posted by Candy Crush View Post
    Cases are rising in the EU but declining in Sweden. What are they doing differently?

    https://ig.ft.com/coronavirus-chart/...&values=deaths
    We didn't lockdown as hard as most other countries and, cynical though it may be, the people that were going to get sick and die have done so. We have more or less the same restrictions and behaviour in place as we did in the spring and will thus (fingers crossed...) not have a second wave.

    This is nothing to do with "herd immunity" or anything like that, but I think our CDC equivalent decided early on that trying to stop a flu-like spread that will eventually reach 60-80% of the population anyway was futile at best and the only thing we could do was try to slow the rate of infection. Early studies have shown that not shutting down schools has kept our kids, and their thankful parents, in better mental health than places that went with a hard lockdown. We took an early beating in the media, especially foreign ones, for this choice, but imho as a Swede I think it will probably turn out to have been the right call in the end.
    Last edited by Lucas Quaan; September 11 2020 at 06:12:23 PM.

  10. #5010
    GeromeDoutrande's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Fakefrenchistan
    Posts
    3,037

  11. #5011
    Donor Spaztick's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    No Longer up High Sierra's Ass
    Posts
    10,696
    at the worst its .06% death rate. Waay lower than what I was expecting. 10x lower.

  12. #5012

    Join Date
    July 3, 2014
    Posts
    5,325
    Another thing intrigues me is the low death rates in Africa compared with European countries.

  13. #5013
    Varcaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 15, 2011
    Posts
    21,119
    Quote Originally Posted by Candy Crush View Post
    Another thing intrigues me is the low death rates in Africa compared with European countries.
    Telling on yourself the post

  14. #5014
    mewninn's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    3,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Varcaus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Candy Crush View Post
    Another thing intrigues me is the low death rates in Africa compared with European countries.
    Telling on yourself the post
    African countries were more vigilant overall and they're also not obese or old as Europeans.

    Papers will absolutely be written about the difference in response and the outcomes, so you're just being an incurious idiot again
    Last edited by mewninn; September 11 2020 at 07:27:18 PM.

  15. #5015

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Pizza delivery van
    Posts
    7,601
    When the new epidemy doesn't involve blood pouring out of boils on the body most african nations call it a good and easy one.

  16. #5016
    Lachesis VII's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20, 2011
    Location
    Egghelende
    Posts
    6,151
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post
    at the worst its .06% death rate. Waay lower than what I was expecting. 10x lower.
    That's not what a rate of 600 per million killed means, mate.

  17. #5017
    Donor Spaztick's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    No Longer up High Sierra's Ass
    Posts
    10,696
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post
    at the worst its .06% death rate. Waay lower than what I was expecting. 10x lower.
    That's not what a rate of 600 per million killed means, mate.
    600 people died so far per 1,000,000 population. 600/1,000,000 = .0006, x 100% = .06%

    More data supports it as well:



    41,000 deaths in UK for a population of 68 million is .061%.

    In Texas we have 29 million and almost 14k deaths, .04%. Would that go up as everyone gets infected? Probably, but people will have to start dying at 10x the rate they are to even get close to the 1% fatality I was worried about.

  18. #5018
    Movember 2012 Zekk Pacus's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    7,948
    Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Larkonnis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Candy Crush View Post
    Cases are rising in the EU but declining in Sweden. What are they doing differently?

    https://ig.ft.com/coronavirus-chart/...&values=deaths
    Different populations, number of people in a household, demographics etc...

    With regards to the rising number of cases in the UK and 'local lockdowns' not restricting gatherings in pubs...
    Looking at those restricted areas... Really makes you think...
    Makes you think what?

    C'mon, don't dog whistle, say it with your whole chest.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

  19. #5019
    NoirAvlaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Location
    Liverpool, laaaa
    Posts
    5,660
    Petition to rename the thread "Lockdown 2: Corona Boogaloo"

    Sent from my Potato using my fingers
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Also that didn't sound like abloo bloo to me, PM me and we can agree on a meeting spot and settle this with queensberry rules, that's a serious offer btw. I've been a member of this community since 2005 and i've never met a more toxic individual.

  20. #5020
    evil edna's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    5,825
    Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Varcaus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Candy Crush View Post
    Another thing intrigues me is the low death rates in Africa compared with European countries.
    Telling on yourself the post
    African countries were more vigilant overall and they're also not obese or old as Europeans.

    Papers will absolutely be written about the difference in response and the outcomes, so you're just being an incurious idiot again
    Almost entirely down to age. Death rates in people under 60 are fairly trivial and in sub saharan africa the average age is under 20 compared to over 45 in the west. They are really not more vigilant or prepared.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •