hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 437 of 449 FirstFirst ... 337387427434435436437438439440447 ... LastLast
Results 8,721 to 8,740 of 8972

Thread: Pestilence or: How I Learned to Worry Constantly and Live with COVID

For all of stuff the Catholic church is still refusing to take the blame for, and all the bad shit they are still actively doing, I have to say that commie-pope is huge improvement over previous two guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Timaios View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Absolute scenes as international experts shocked that the people who paid for the cure have access to it first.
    I normally don't support religious persons, let alone leaders, but I can get behind this:
    While entirely laudable and long needed, the cynic in me asks how much this is damage control or shifting blame from poor handling of the rampant pedophilia within the church.
    Nah itís not damage control, the Pope really is a commie.

Then why can't the church use it's vast wealth to solve the issue instead of leeching off the rest of us?
    meh

WHO Announces Proposed Members of its Scientific Advisory Group for the Origins of Novel Pathogens (SAGO)

https://www.who.int/news/item/13-10-...thogens-(sago)

Preparing for “Disease X”

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abm7796

Recent findings on the potential for zoonotic spillover of SARS-CoV-2 to humans, either directly from bats or through other animals, include, but are not limited to, studies of wildlife sold in markets in and around Wuhan, China (where cases of COVID-19 were first reported in December 2019); studies of SARS-like coronaviruses circulating in bats in China and Southeast Asia; studies on prepandemic biological sampling around the world; and other animal susceptibility studies. However, detailed investigations of the earliest known and suspected cases in China prior to December 2019 are still urgently needed, including analyses of stored blood samples from 2019 in Wuhan and surrounding areas and retrospective searches of hospital and mortality data for earlier cases.
    As well, laboratory hypotheses must be examined carefully, with a focus on labs in the location where the first reports of human infections emerged in Wuhan. A lab accident cannot be ruled out until there is sufficient evidence to do so and those results are openly shared.

them fukken conspiracy theorists at WHO are at it again!
    Last edited by Lief Siddhe; October 19 2021 at 08:11:35 PM.
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

sounds sensible to me
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Also that didn't sound like abloo bloo to me, PM me and we can agree on a meeting spot and settle this with queensberry rules, that's a serious offer btw. I've been a member of this community since 2005 and i've never met a more toxic individual.

Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post
    sounds sensible to me
    What sounds sensible to you sounds like "proof" to Lief.

Super Moderator DonorGlobal Moderator whispous's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Coutu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post
    sounds sensible to me
    What sounds sensible to you sounds like "proof" to Lief.
    Proof of:

Wink wink nudge nudge

Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    locking again cos you're all getting weird and being autists about tyres

Quote Originally Posted by dzajic View Post
    For all of stuff the Catholic church is still refusing to take the blame for, and all the bad shit they are still actively doing, I have to say that commie-pope is huge improvement over previous two guys.
    Low bar, like *

*TFW A nazi youth pope isnt even a historical low bar for popehood

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    "We should consider the evidence carefully"

reads as

"Every counterfactual is now proven true"

to a deranged mind.

Hey Lall, remember when we discussed Ivermectin overdoses and you negrepped me, saying "there's no Ivermectin dose prescribed against COVID"?!

Well, straight from the horses mouth (NIH official site. scroll down a bit)

Characteristics of Antiviral Agents That Are Approved or Under Evaluation for the Treatment of COVID-19
    Last Updated: July 08, 2021

https://www.covid19treatmentguidelin...bles/table-2e/

Ivermectin
    Adults:
    The dose most commonly used in clinical trials is IVM 0.2–0.6 mg/kg PO given as a single dose or as a once-daily dose for up to 5 days.

Those deranged minds at NIH are giving people horse dewormer!
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

On a more serious note:

Increases in COVID-19 are unrelated to levels of vaccination across 68 countries and 2947 counties in the United States

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8481107/

In summary, even as efforts should be made to encourage populations to get vaccinated it should be done so with humility and respect. Stigmatizing populations can do more harm than good. Importantly, other non-pharmacological prevention efforts (e.g., the importance of basic public health hygiene with regards to maintaining safe distance or handwashing, promoting better frequent and cheaper forms of testing) needs to be renewed in order to strike the balance of learning to live with COVID-19 in the same manner we continue to live a 100 years later with various seasonal alterations of the 1918 Influenza virus.

Quote Originally Posted by Lief Siddhe View Post
    On a more serious note:

Increases in COVID-19 are unrelated to levels of vaccination across 68 countries and 2947 counties in the United States

In summary, even as efforts should be made to encourage populations to get vaccinated it should be done so with humility and respect. Stigmatizing populations can do more harm than good. Importantly, other non-pharmacological prevention efforts (e.g., the importance of basic public health hygiene with regards to maintaining safe distance or handwashing, promoting better frequent and cheaper forms of testing) needs to be renewed in order to strike the balance of learning to live with COVID-19 in the same manner we continue to live a 100 years later with various seasonal alterations of the 1918 Influenza virus.
    If you look a little more closely at the article you'll find that the lead author is a 'a 16-year-old high school student' from 'Turner Fenton Secondary School, Brampton, ON Canada'.

Hey Lall, remember when we discussed Ivermectin overdoses and you negrepped me, saying "there's no Ivermectin dose prescribed against COVID"?!

Well, straight from the horses mouth (NIH official site. scroll down a bit)

Characteristics of Antiviral Agents That Are Approved or Under Evaluation for the Treatment of COVID-19
    Last Updated: July 08, 2021

https://www.covid19treatmentguidelin...bles/table-2e/

Ivermectin
    Adults:
    The dose most commonly used in clinical trials is IVM 0.2–0.6 mg/kg PO given as a single dose or as a once-daily dose for up to 5 days.

Those deranged minds at NIH are giving people horse dewormer!
    It's almost as if someothing being used in clinical trials and something being approved for use generally are totally different things. They did clinical trials of thalidomide use in pregnant women, so if that's your yardstick for good to go, be my guest.

On a more serious note:

Examples of harm caused by stigamtising those who dont vaccinate due to 'doing their own research on facebook':

1. ?
    2. ?

Anyway, I like that you didnt even read the paper you cited, which is broadly arguing for more lockdowns ALONGSIDE increased vaccine uptake.
    Last edited by Lallante; October 21 2021 at 10:31:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by duckduck View Post
    On a more serious note:

If you look a little more closely at the article you'll find that the lead author is a 'a 16-year-old high school student' from 'Turner Fenton Secondary School, Brampton, ON Canada'.
    Lief is listening to youtube as "science" I doubt he knows how to look at things in depth

Also whomever wrote that paper doesn't understand the concept of population density.
    meh

On a more serious note:

I agree thats a bit odd. The primary author is a proper MA, Md etc from Harvard. I have some citations from my MsC but i did not get a high school dude to co -author that. I tried to do a deeper dive in both those guys but they are all over the place. Gave up after 5 minutes tbh.
    Schopenhauer:

All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..

Quote Originally Posted by evil edna View Post
    Well if kids would stop seducing priests they could get on with the job of saving the world
    <3
    Schopenhauer:

All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Also whomever wrote that paper doesn't understand the concept of population density.
    Once again proving that published != endorsed.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

Quote Originally Posted by Sacul View Post
    On a more serious note:

I agree thats a bit odd. The primary author is a proper MA, Md etc from Harvard. I have some citations from my MsC but i did not get a high school dude to co -author that. I tried to do a deeper dive in both those guys but they are all over the place. Gave up after 5 minutes tbh.
    The author who is listed first is an adult, but the footnote shows that he is the 'corresponding author', 'the person who handles the manuscript and correspondence during the publication process'. The lead author is the schoolkid. And it shows.

I was expecting multivariate analysis and significance testing, but instead we get a simple linear curve fitted to a scatter diagram. It seems obvious that just plotting vaccination rates against cases per million across wildly different countries wouldn't be meaningful. If you could control for GDP per capita, you might get some insight. But no. I'd argue the correlation we're seeing is that countries who can't afford vaccines, also can't afford an extensive testing program.

The US counties analysis is weaker still. The author doesn't even use a scatter diagram here. I wonder why he changed methodology - hint, it was because a scatter diagram wouldn't give him the result he wanted. Instead he plots the data and just makes assertions about what the graph shows. Have a look for yourselves:

Based on this graph the author asserts that, 'There also appears to be no significant signaling of COVID-19 cases decreasing with higher percentages of population fully vaccinated.' That looks like the opposite of the truth to me. Apart from those counties where less that 5% of the population has been vaccinated, the trend of fewer cases in more fully vaccinated counties seems clear. And I'd suspect that a tiny number of counties where no-one has been vaccinated might be a bit atypical, for example, massively rural.

But what the paper lacks in rigorous statistical analysis, it makes up for in ranty editorializing about 'humility and respect'.

This is my biggest problem with conspiracy theorists. They are hyper-skeptical of the information they are getting from the 'establishment', but show them a paper, any paper, that agrees with their view and they swallow it hook, line and sinker. Even sharing it round forums and worse social media, to prove their point. Passing off shit 'papers' as evidence is akin to Grandads on FB sharing utterly untrue stories that happened to a friend of a friend. Lief, in a small way, posts like yours do real damage.
    Last edited by duckduck; October 22 2021 at 09:40:19 AM.