Thread: PLAGUE: An American Musical

Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    The queen is having a pleasant day.

https://mazech.com/2020/03/queen-eli...-deadly-virus/
    wew didnt even think about that....boomer remover of the european royals

praise be
    Queen succuming to corona will be the beginning of the end of the Monarchy and the Commonwealth
    If Charles goes at the same time it may survive.

Jesus those obits

https://www.welt.de/wirtschaft/artic...off-Firma.html

A German company is working on a vaccine for the virus. Trump wants to buy the company or at least get the scientists to come to the US to gain exclusive access to the vaccine for the US.

Our government placed a ban on the export of medical equipment with exceptions. I have no idea if this applies to research as well. The company is doing joint research with government-owned research institutes, so they aren't soloing the project anyway.

I expect that research to be declared a key-technology and placed under export restrictions.

Translation of the article from a Reddit comment:

Spoiler:

The Tübingen-based company CureVac is researching a corona vaccine under high pressure. According to information acquired by WELT AM SONNTAG (German Newspaper), the US government wants to secure the exclusive rights to it. The German government is trying to prevent this.

Between the United States and Germany, the Corona crisis is reported to lead to an indirect but tangible economic policy debate. The reason: US President Donald Trump tries to lure German scientists working on a potential corona vaccine to America using high financial incentives, or to secure the drug exclusively for his country. WELT AM SONNTAG heard this in government circles.

The US president allegedly offers the company a large amount of money to secure its work exclusively. Trump is doing everything possible to get a vaccine for the United States. "But only for the USA," says the federal government.

According to information from WELT AM SONNTAG, the dispute between the two states is about the company CureVac, which is based in Tübingen and works together with the federally owned Paul Ehrlich Institute for Vaccines and Biomedical Medicines on the production of a vaccine against the virus. Government officials are now negotiating with CureVac.

"The Federal Government is very interested in the fact that vaccines and active substances against the novel coronavirus are also being developed in Germany and Europe," confirmed a spokesman for the (German) Ministry of Health to WELT AM SONNTAG. "In this regard, the government is in intensive talks with the company CureVac." We hear the government in Berlin tries to keep the company with financial offers. The company itself refused to answer questions.

Comment link: https://www.reddit.com/r/Coronavirus...swipe/fkjr9j0/
    nevar forget

Commonwealth is my favourite post colonial euphemism.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Lol, if the German pharma Corp give preferential access to America you should all riot and burn their hq to the ground.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Good time for my market garden to come on line I guess. I got a bit of a shock today -brown snake under the bed, and the local IGA was 50% empty yet still full of shoppers at 8.30pm. Apparently no one likes mushroom soup as it was pretty much the only canned item left.

The manager said that people were driving out from Sydney and a crowd was waiting at the door for the shop to open this morning.

My main concern is fuel. Australia's stockpile would last only 21 days at normal consumption. Like all farmers I have a tank but I have taken the precaution of shifting some into jerry cans and moving it down to the pump houses. Fuel theft is a big problem already thanks to all the meth-heads, but if shortages strike farm stocks will be targeted.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximillian View Post
    Good time for my market garden to come on line I guess. I got a bit of a shock today -brown snake under the bed, and the local IGA was 50% empty yet still full of shoppers at 8.30pm. Apparently no one likes mushroom soup as it was pretty much the only canned item left.

The manager said that people were driving out from Sydney and a crowd was waiting at the door for the shop to open this morning.

My main concern is fuel. Australia's stockpile would last only 21 days at normal consumption. Like all farmers I have a tank but I have taken the precaution of shifting some into jerry cans and moving it down to the pump houses. Fuel theft is a big problem already thanks to all the meth-heads, but if shortages strike farm stocks will be targeted.
    Youre a farmer. Youre more prepared naturally for this than anyone else. Hence your main concern being fuel

*roleplay

I'd be surprised if fuel becomes an issue.

Australian stocks come via Singapore and there's no real issues there. There'd need to be a major breakdown far in excess of what we're seeing in Italy or even Wuhan.

Even then with significant reductions in travel it may last longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post

Australian stocks come via Singapore and there's no real issues there. There'd need to be a major breakdown far in excess of what we're seeing in Italy or even Wuhan.

Singapore only refines oil, the oil itself comes from Brunei and the Gulf.

Food needs to move so likely I'd get some if there is rationing. It's people stealing the stuff that worries me.

Welcome to the hype era.

Because "what is hype may never die" has become pandemic avoidance advice, apparently

*roleplay

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Lol, if the German pharma Corp give preferential access to America you should all riot and burn their hq to the ground.
    Our laws concerning pandemics and national emergencies provide the government with all encompassing powers. And our government has no issues with giving Trump the finger.
    nevar forget

Cosmin: Hang in there, you are one of the real heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Our laws concerning pandemics and national emergencies provide the government with all encompassing powers. And our government has no issues with giving Trump the finger.
    That company might but what about the key research peeps? 2 key questions, first who owns the intellectual property, patents and data and 2nd how well written are the researchers contracts aka are they allowed to work immediately for other companies or not. Usually key employers have non competition clause for 2 years.

Food needs to move so likely I'd get some if there is rationing. It's people stealing the stuff that worries me.
    Yes. Point being that the supplies to Singapore come from a multitude of places. Supplies to Singapore being disrupted is not going to happen. It's just not that big of a crisis. We *may* eat into our reserves, and it's stupid that we're so much worse off than we should be but for this crisis it's not something I'd be worried about.

Yes. Point being that the supplies to Singapore come from a multitude of places. Supplies to Singapore being disrupted is not going to happen. It's just not that big of a crisis. We *may* eat into our reserves, and it's stupid that we're so much worse off than we should be but for this crisis it's not something I'd be worried about.
    I'm not really worried about shortages, what I am worried about is that the same idiots stripping the store shelves of bog rolls will move on to fuel and panic buying & hording will lead to fuel theft.
    Last edited by Maximillian; March 15 2020 at 12:11:28 PM.

I'm not really worried about storages, what I am worried about is that the same idiots stripping the store shelves of bog rolls will move on to fuel and panic buying & hording will lead to fuel theft.
    Yeah, OK. Being worried about idiots is reasonable.

I'm not really worried about storages, what I am worried about is that the same idiots stripping the store shelves of bog rolls will move on to fuel and panic buying & hording will lead to fuel theft.
    I am a bit tired so probably wasn't clear but my prepping was moving some fuel away from the main tank so if nomadic scavengers rock up in 80s punk gear on motorbikes, dune buggies and volvo 740s, they wont get all of my fuel.

And no one seem surprised by the damned snake under the bed. It was only a baby but fuck finding that when you reach for the uggs in the morning.

I am a bit tired so probably wasn't clear but my prepping was moving some fuel away from the main tank so if nomadic scavengers rock up in 80s punk gear on motorbikes, dune buggies and volvo 740s, they wont get all of my fuel.
    youre a farmer! Implying you wouldn't be armed to the teeth threatening any trespasser with a double barrel shotgun from 50 yards even on a good day.

*roleplay

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post

youre a farmer! Implying you wouldn't be armed to the teeth threatening any trespasser with a double barrel shotgun from 50 yards even on a good day.
    I do have an under/over but shooting thieves is frowned upon.