hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 200 of 224 FirstFirst ... 100150190197198199200201202203210 ... LastLast
Results 3,981 to 4,000 of 4472

Thread: PLAGUE: An American Musical

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Armyofme View Post
    And the kids dont get their own laptops at schools and shit?
    I had expected that was common in most of Europe by now, at least free textbooks for everyone up to higher education.
    Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    I had expected that was common in most of Europe by now, at least free textbooks for everyone up to higher education.
    Free textbooks, supplies and free meals yes, free computers, no
    No free textbooks, no free supplies, no free meals*, no free computers.

*Elementary schools in Berlin have started getting free lunches since last year.
    Well that sucks. Im actually shocked to learn this

phpBB : Critical Error
    Could not connect to the database

*Elementary schools in Berlin have started getting free lunches since last year.
    Do some nations' schools give this stuff out for free? None of that is free in Australia. The only free thing used to be milk, but the fuckers delivering it to the schools would dump it in the sun so it was abandoned due to health concerns (more likely to save money but who likes off milk).

Quote Originally Posted by Maximillian View Post

Do some nations' schools give this stuff out for free? None of that is free in Australia. The only free thing used to be milk, but the fuckers delivering it to the schools would dump it in the sun so it was abandoned due to health concerns (more likely to save money but who likes off milk).
    We have a $500 million program in Cali now, to provide Chromebooks and broadband to “every child” in the state. This, afaik, is means tested, but, for poor kids in my county, I know the rollout has already begun, so, yes.
    meh

Textbooks are free here in Norway, and most schools now have laptops for every student (no free lunch here though).

phpBB : Critical Error
    Could not connect to the database

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    Asking people to replace their whole devices constantly and not repair perfectly workable examples is fucking asinine.
    If people wanted replaceable batteries and easily disassembled electronics, that's what we'd get. They don't. They want things to be as small and as light as possible, and it is probable this results in less waste in the long run.

TIL it's a neckbeard thing to want to replace your broken screen for cheap.
    Absolutely no one is stopping you from doing that. Under normal circumstances I pass a dozen places capable of doing this on my way to work. What I'm saying is don't confuse corporations who have specifically contrived laws, contracts and technology to lock you out of third party maintenance with companies that are simply prioritising thin/light/cheap over swapping batteries. Which almost no one ever did anyway. Which is why we don't get swappable batteries any more.

tbh whoever buys apple stuff deserves all they get
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Lief Siddhe View Post
    tbh whoever buys apple stuff deserves all they get
    A painless 100+ track digital audio workstation experience on a 4 year old laptop?
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmoore View Post
    Buying tablets should pretty much always mean buying an iPad. I'm not aware of any decent Android tablets.

Edit: I'm more worried about who is administrating them. I fear that one of us teachers will have to deal with that shit.

Tapapapatalk
    At least android producers make things that are repairable, and data recoverable .
    Oh noes. In all my 20+ years using apple devices, Ive never had anything repaired and I ve never personally pulled data off one by butting it into target mode. Ive also never rebuild an HFS+ Raid array after the controller died.

Maybe just learn how.
    Apple are pursuing a strategy of no data recovery and making things not repairable. And then even when things are repairable they will simply lie to you about cost and encourage you to buy a new one. Its not even a new strategy for them going all the ways back to ipods where batteries were not replaceable until a class action law suit.

Maybe learn how , not helpful when there are no parts available to 3rd party repairers. Or when schematics are not made available under the pretext of trade secrets.

You should follow the right to repair debate going on in the US currently to get Apples views on whether you should be able to repair your device.
    "no data recovery"

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. The right to repair "debate" is hobbyists asking apple to be a parts supplying business as well. Allowing "repairability" by untrained hobbyists is certainly going to lead to smaller, more compact, more efficient devices. Is there some inefficiency related to this? sure. Do I care. No. I haven't "owned" an apple device in nearly 10 years.

I simply lease them. I don't need obsolete electronic junk cluttering up the house. I have enough vintage synthesizers.

I'm curious. Do you only use Linux for the same reason?
    Apples policy is to say that data on damaged devices is not recoverable, despite this being a total fabrication. If you want instances from someone who runs a business repairing apple , far from a "Hobbyist" https://www.youtube.com/user/rossmanngroup .

Buying tablets should pretty much always mean buying an iPad. I'm not aware of any decent Android tablets.

Edit: I'm more worried about who is administrating them. I fear that one of us teachers will have to deal with that shit.

Tapapapatalk
    At least android producers make things that are repairable, and data recoverable .
    Oh noes. In all my 20+ years using apple devices, Ive never had anything repaired and I ve never personally pulled data off one by butting it into target mode. Ive also never rebuild an HFS+ Raid array after the controller died.

Maybe just learn how.
    Apple are pursuing a strategy of no data recovery and making things not repairable. And then even when things are repairable they will simply lie to you about cost and encourage you to buy a new one. Its not even a new strategy for them going all the ways back to ipods where batteries were not replaceable until a class action law suit.

Maybe learn how , not helpful when there are no parts available to 3rd party repairers. Or when schematics are not made available under the pretext of trade secrets.

You should follow the right to repair debate going on in the US currently to get Apples views on whether you should be able to repair your device.
    "no data recovery"

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. The right to repair "debate" is hobbyists asking apple to be a parts supplying business as well. Allowing "repairability" by untrained hobbyists is certainly going to lead to smaller, more compact, more efficient devices. Is there some inefficiency related to this? sure. Do I care. No. I haven't "owned" an apple device in nearly 10 years.

I simply lease them. I don't need obsolete electronic junk cluttering up the house. I have enough vintage synthesizers.

I'm curious. Do you only use Linux for the same reason?
    Apples policy is to say that data on damaged devices is not recoverable, despite this being a total fabrication. If you want instances from someone who runs a business repairing apple , far from a "Hobbyist" https://www.youtube.com/user/rossmanngroup .
    And the headline of his youtube channel is...

REPAIR GUIDE: How to fix Apple design flaws on broken Macbooks
    How many of his designs does he sell?
    meh

Textbooks are free here in Norway, and most schools now have laptops for every student (no free lunch here though).
    Free until the oil runs out?

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Norway funded the welfare state before we found oil. The other Nordic countries too makes due without oil. Thinking that social benefits can't be funded without some godsent miracle is incredible asinine

Derp
    Last edited by Isyel; May 30 2020 at 03:12:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    Asking people to replace their whole devices constantly and not repair perfectly workable examples is fucking asinine.
    If people wanted replaceable batteries and easily disassembled electronics, that's what we'd get. They don't. They want things to be as small and as light as possible, and it is probable this results in less waste in the long run.

TIL it's a neckbeard thing to want to replace your broken screen for cheap.
    Absolutely no one is stopping you from doing that. Under normal circumstances I pass a dozen places capable of doing this on my way to work. What I'm saying is don't confuse corporations who have specifically contrived laws, contracts and technology to lock you out of third party maintenance with companies that are simply prioritising thin/light/cheap over swapping batteries. Which almost no one ever did anyway. Which is why we don't get swappable batteries any more.
    Dismissing kind of precisely the sort of shit they want to stop so good going? Kind of what this whole thing started with.

It's clear you don't have the faintest clue what the debates actually been about and instead decide to ree about "neckbeards".
    Last edited by Isyel; May 30 2020 at 03:14:32 AM.

Finland has free books, supplies and meals for elementary schools (starting from age 7 and 9 years), free meals for the 2nd education level (three-ish years), but no free books anymore, and then subsidized meals for university level education. The education itself is free, and starting from 2nd level you can apply get govermnet benefits for studying, but they are really only used for university level stuff where you basically get paid to study.

DT announces US to leave WHO just 12 days into 30 day window set earlier this month when he demanded reforms to organization.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparq View Post
    DT announces US to leave WHO just 12 days into 30 day window set earlier this month when he demanded reforms to organization.
    Trump: "Y U NO RECOGNIZE TAIWAN?!"
    WHO: "Because most of the world doesn't?"

Though it is true that they have been far too deferential to China.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

God, trump getting involved in the Taiwan debate, one of the most notoriously sensitive situations in the political world.

Oof.

Well textbooks in (public) high school were free for me, right up until the early 2000's when I graduated. The school just loaned them out to you for the year and you gave them back at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    Norway funded the welfare state before we found oil.
    With what? Leftover viking gold?

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparq View Post
    Trump: "Y U NO RECOGNIZE TAIWAN?!"
    WHO: "Because most of the world doesn't?"

Though it is true that they have been far too deferential to China.
    Trump doing a great job of clarifying that China's influence has overtaken that of the US. I personally wouldn't want to shout from the rooftops that I am no longer top dog, but Trump gonna Trump.