hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 32 of 226 FirstFirst ... 22293031323334354282132 ... LastLast

Thread: PLAGUE: An American Musical

I have one or the other kind almost every year. Renders me useless for 2 weeks but always goes away after laying down, avoiding exertion and taking shitloads of amoxicillin, as that's the only antibiotic working on whatever bacteria wake up or develop in me while being weakened from viral infection. Nights are nasty and your whole body hurts from coughing but it's not something that will kill you unless you do something stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post
    I have one or the other kind almost every year. Renders me useless for 2 weeks but always goes away after laying down, avoiding exertion and taking shitloads of amoxicillin, as that's the only antibiotic working on whatever bacteria wake up or develop in me while being weakened from viral infection. Nights are nasty and your whole body hurts from coughing but it's not something that will kill you unless you do something stupid.
    that pre-supposes access to amoxicillin, if the number of infected climbs high enough you can no longer do so because there is functionally no immunity in the population and demand outstrips supply. that, is what is giving the WHO brown breeches, the "second order" effects, not the symptoms of CORVID-19 itself.

incidentally, comparing the timeline now to the timeline of SARS, the improvement in response and readiness on a global scale is amazing to see.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Multiple cases now where people gotten reinfected by the virus.

Good times ahead.
    Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post

Good times ahead.
    source
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

I intended to visit my parents this weekend. My father just called and told me that in the train that I would use to go there, yesterday a person was suspected to be infected (wearing a mask, showing symptoms) , resulting in the train stopped for 4 hours w/ passengers kept in the train at the station I would left it.

We decided to cancel my trip. It's not so much the fear of infection, but the mere fact to be potentially trapped for hours in a train, isn't appealling for a short weekend visit.

im sorry for shitposting

not really

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    OT posts about moderation, reporting, people insulting eachother etc moved to the moderation complaints thread. Stop shitting up the thread, this is a warning. I'll keep a closer tab on things posted here from now on

edit: For the record, feel free to be a baby in the moderation thread as an alternative if you can't grow up. It's a good place for people to get the bitterness of their chest and not pollute the other threads on the forum. If you are too sensitive to stand people being babies, just don't open the thread. Win win for everyone.
    Last edited by helgur; February 27 2020 at 11:43:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    im sorry for shitposting

not really

Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    OT posts about moderation, reporting, people insulting eachother etc moved to the moderation complaints thread. Stop shitting up the thread, this is a warning. I'll keep a closer tab on things posted here from now on

edit: For the record, feel free to be a baby in the moderation thread as an alternative if you can't grow up. It's a good place for people to get the bitterness of their chest and not pollute the other threads on the forum. If you are too sensitive to stand people being babies, just don't open the thread. Win win for everyone.
    And not a page too soon! Thanks for stepping up.
    Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

I suspect that what we are seeing is management by delay. Containment was only going to work in the earliest stages, and a combination of Chinese secrecy and a long incubation period made that strategy mute. So now the aim is to slow the spread to allow available resources a chance to cope.

Probably the biggest risk atm is panic. As we saw in Italy people will rush out and strip the stores. If you can't get more food in quickly enough those without supplies to last several weeks will ne forced to venture out, and may even attempt to leave areas under quarantine. Supply chains are another issue as sooner or later factories must open and goods and materials must move once again to keep the water flowing and the lights on if nothing else.

Peoples' reactions are interesting. Among my family it ranges from "we're all doomed" to "meh, just a bad flu season".

We're only 9 meals from anarchy frens.

The good type of anarchy or the bad type?
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    The bad type.

I'll admit, I'm a bit worried.

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Maximillian View Post
    I suspect that what we are seeing is management by delay. Containment was only going to work in the earliest stages, and a combination of Chinese secrecy and a long incubation period made that strategy mute. So now the aim is to slow the spread to allow available resources a chance to cope.

Probably the biggest risk atm is panic. As we saw in Italy people will rush out and strip the stores. If you can't get more food in quickly enough those without supplies to last several weeks will ne forced to venture out, and may even attempt to leave areas under quarantine. Supply chains are another issue as sooner or later factories must open and goods and materials must move once again to keep the water flowing and the lights on if nothing else.

Peoples' reactions are interesting. Among my family it ranges from "we're all doomed" to "meh, just a bad flu season".
    I think that is also the reason to use the time delay efforts will buy us to get a reasonable stockpile together. You're not only stockpiling against the outbreak itself but especially against the panic reaction of the people who, should sit hit the fan, won't have a stockpile.

Reasonable being the operative word here.

That means one week more than all the others so you're strong and healthy when you go taking distributed emergency supplies from others and eat your neighbours. Just in case that wasn't clear.
    Tanks: theBlind[URBAD] (in my heart there will always be a place for [FAIL])
    Planetside2: [UBAD]theAngelic

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post

Good times ahead.
    Sauce?
    Was posted on the previous page:

Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post

Good times ahead.
    source

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    The bad type.

If I lived in the global south I'd be more worried. At the moment it is a mild concern.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Yeah I saw that and baleeted my post.

The bad type.

If I lived in the global south I'd be more worried. At the moment it is a mild concern.
    Full accelerationism?

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    The bad type.

Full accelerationism?
    The folly of youth?