hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 153 of 197 FirstFirst ... 53103143150151152153154155156163 ... LastLast
Results 3,041 to 3,060 of 3921

Thread: Donald J. Trump's Sarcastic Clorox Vaccination (Coronavirus Pandemic) thread

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...nalysis-shows/

I would love to see the economic data on the folks who have died, to add to this data on race. Given the racial disparities in household wealth, multigenerational households, access to healthcare, etc, I wonder how much of this can be attributed to “people living closer together, working essential service sector jobs, and without access to healthcare will get sick at a higher rate.”

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...nalysis-shows/

I would love to see the economic data on the folks who have died, to add to this data on race. Given the racial disparities in household wealth, multigenerational households, access to healthcare, etc, I wonder how much of this can be attributed to “people living closer together, working essential service sector jobs, and without access to healthcare will get sick at a higher rate.”
    I think "poor people have a shit diet and thus diabetes, hypertension, etc, etc." is probably a much easier thing to prove.
    meh

watch the usual suspects turn it into a "black people are genetically inferior!" argument.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

also, update from Denmarkistan, we've gotten R0 down to 0,9 with the isolation measures, that's pretty damn amazing all told especially considering how much of the labour market is still active as such it has been decided to gradually relax restrictions both to get the number to climb a bit, since we're way under capacity when it comes to hospital beds, but also to ease the economic burden. i am not too keen on the measures chosen however.

the plan is to open up kindergardens and the lowest school classes in order to free up parents stuck at home from child-care and teaching duties in order to make it easier for them to work from home, the age group affected is 3-12 year old range and the plan is to have stringent cleaning and divided classes (as there are plenty of classrooms available). children being less affected by this thing i can see how they're the obvious group to shove into circulation first glance, but they're also, hygiene wise not really the best choice and the lack of visible symptoms can further increase spread. there is also some confusion about who is and is not excluded with one authority saying children with at risk family members in the household are excluded and another saying they are not.

the implementation is also left up to each individual school to figure out albeit within a specific set of guidelines, all of this strikes me as a grand experiment to be honest.

on another note, i went shopping today, a elderly bloke in the store seems to have collapsed with respiratory problems needing first aid. ambulance+police was called everybody where registered before being allowed to leave. i half expect getting called into testing soon. i do hope that bloke made it though.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

FWIW school closures was one of the things the UK government got battered about because the evidence beforehand on closing them was mixed. It now looks like closing schools has had limited effects, so you can expect it to be one of the first measures relaxed.

Speaking of the UK government getting a battering over their crisis paralysis, Reuters have done a phenomenal job detailing what we know about the timeline of what we knew and when, what recommendations were made at which time and what decisions were made as a consequence. This is going to be the mother of all public enquiries - there's evidently a huge disconnect between the fundamental science being done and how that leads to a recommendation, and then how those recommendations lead to decisions and how those decisions are finally communicated and enforced. We seem to have failed at least partially at every one of those steps, in some cases for such fundamentally minor things as an attendee's phone line being inaudible on a conference call.

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    FWIW school closures was one of the things the UK government got battered about because the evidence beforehand on closing them was mixed. It now looks like closing schools has had limited effects, so you can expect it to be one of the first measures relaxed.
    I don't believe that for a second. Schools are literal hubs between families.

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    This. It's a transmission hub for all sorts of nasty stuff. We had a scabies outbreak in a class just before the closure. Of a class of 12 students, half of them got scabies. And no, it's not exclusively an STD, but it requires close prolonged physical contact between individuals. Now imagine you had something like the coronavirus. Asymptomatic for a long time in young people but contagious? You're just asking for trouble.
    nevar forget

Thanks for that expert insight lads, I'll just get the authors to get in touch so they can fold you into the evidence base.

The Rona doesn't like the kids, apparently has a penchant for the obese, the elderly, and looks like African Americans ('cuz poor and poor health maybe?).
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    This. It's a transmission hub for all sorts of nasty stuff. We had a scabies outbreak in a class just before the closure. Of a class of 12 students, half of them got scabies. And no, it's not exclusively an STD, but it requires close prolonged physical contact between individuals. Now imagine you had something like the coronavirus. Asymptomatic for a long time in young people but contagious? You're just asking for trouble.
    My understanding is that generally children are not just asymptomatic, but don't carry or shed viral load i.e. they don't tend to pass it on.

I'm a parent of two young kids. I know how kids behave (licking things) and that schools are generally hotspots, but I follow the experts in thinking this doesn't apply to CV. However, Razor's point stands. 300 parents arrive at school twice a day to drop off and pick kids up and of course congregate and chat.

Alright. Fair point.

What's the age cut off though? Are we talking up to 12? 18?

How do you deal with teachers that are at risk, due to either age (a vast majority of German teachers is over 50 for example) or even hypertension?

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Terrible news from Singapore: second wave is picking up steam. 142 new cases today and reimposition of full lockdown--cannot even have one friend over for coffee in your home without risking big fine.
    https://www.moh.gov.sg/news-highligh...tion-confirmed

So theoretically if we keep getting waves we just lockdown forever.

Here in Commiefornia, physical school is closed until summer holidays.

If fine with this. Hopefully these English "school is fine" boffins aren't the same "herd immunity with business as usual" boffins, though.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post

If fine with this. Hopefully these English "school is fine" boffins aren't the same "herd immunity with business as usual" boffins, though.
    Your Summer break already starts in May. Ours starts on June 25th. Not that there would be much happening with all the holidays in spring.
    nevar forget

Your Summer break already starts in May. Ours starts on June 25th. Not that there would be much happening with all the holidays in spring.
    Our friend is a teacher at a big elementary here, and they have been told to lesson plan around 226 minutes of on video virtual classroom per week, and then there is homework assignments, etc, handled in google classroom, to assess, etc, and to just plan out the rest of the calendar year this way.
    meh

Our friend is a teacher at a big elementary here, and they have been told to lesson plan around 226 minutes of on video virtual classroom per week, and then there is homework assignments, etc, handled in google classroom, to assess, etc, and to just plan out the rest of the calendar year this way.
    My girlfriend is a teacher and if there's one thing I'm sure of it's that next year's lesson plans will of an unusually high quality compared to those that came before.

I bet they change the syllabus the following year so it's only ever used once...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    Just for the record, "sending a needy text" is never the right answer.

indirectly correlated

I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    The 3 year old daughter of a friend of a friend licked the keypad of a store payment terminal, after she was told "don't touch anything".
      Spoiler:
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    The 3 year old daughter of a friend of a friend licked the keypad of a store payment terminal, after she was told "don't touch anything".

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    I hear three year olds do everything they're told to do, nbs?