hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 63 of 202 FirstFirst ... 13536061626364656673113163 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,260 of 4026

Thread: Donald J. Trump's Sarcastic Clorox Vaccination (Coronavirus Pandemic) thread

  1. #1241

    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    7,746
    Quote Originally Posted by The Contemporary Poster View Post
    I've been reading Taleb so not gonna give much heed to models.

    At the end of the day if school closes for a month that's still only about 30 hours of learning time.
    And millions of hours of parents staying home to look after them. Including all the parents employed in the health system.

  2. #1242
    Lachesis VII's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20, 2011
    Location
    Egghelende
    Posts
    5,940
    Seattle schools closed starting tomorrow.


  3. #1243
    Joe Appleby's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    in front of the class
    Posts
    15,298
    Quote Originally Posted by I Legionnaire View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by duckduck View Post
    I think closing schools is kneejerk.
    !Remindme 30 days
    This is also discussed right now around here. The problem is what do you do with lots of kids suddenly staying at home. Now parents need to stay home to watch them or organize someone doing that. With my students they'd just end up roaming the city. Some might do some seriously stupid stuff.

    Anyway, we aren't currently closing, we have three students (none that I teach) quarantined as they had contact with someone who had contact with an infected person and so far tested negative. Schools here check daily with the school department and the local health department.

    During our teacher meeting, a parent was present, who happened to be a nurse. She reinforced the need to wash your hands and get students to do that. She also pointed out how us asking the school department for disinfectant dispensers will not get us any as even her clinic has issues with keeping up their stocks due to theft. A colleague suggested just starting the day by getting the students to wash their hands to sensitize them to the importance of basic hygiene.
    nevar forget

  4. #1244
    Banned
    Join Date
    October 30, 2017
    Posts
    1,266
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Contemporary Poster View Post
    I've been reading Taleb so not gonna give much heed to models.

    At the end of the day if school closes for a month that's still only about 30 hours of learning time.
    And millions of hours of parents staying home to look after them. Including all the parents employed in the health system.
    Still small cost versus the potential downsides.

  5. #1245
    Meester's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 25, 2011
    Posts
    2,064
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post


    Quote Originally Posted by Sacul View Post
    2 of them who said fuck you society and went to the uni halls and lecture rooms.
    Typical students then?
    Last edited by Meester; March 11 2020 at 08:08:03 PM.

  6. #1246
    mewninn's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    3,406
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by I Legionnaire View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by duckduck View Post
    I think closing schools is kneejerk.
    !Remindme 30 days
    This is also discussed right now around here. The problem is what do you do with lots of kids suddenly staying at home. Now parents need to stay home to watch them or organize someone doing that. With my students they'd just end up roaming the city. Some might do some seriously stupid stuff.

    Anyway, we aren't currently closing, we have three students (none that I teach) quarantined as they had contact with someone who had contact with an infected person and so far tested negative. Schools here check daily with the school department and the local health department.

    During our teacher meeting, a parent was present, who happened to be a nurse. She reinforced the need to wash your hands and get students to do that. She also pointed out how us asking the school department for disinfectant dispensers will not get us any as even her clinic has issues with keeping up their stocks due to theft. A colleague suggested just starting the day by getting the students to wash their hands to sensitize them to the importance of basic hygiene.
    Wonder if the west is just gonna get absolutely wrecked by this because both the politicians and the populace have the wrong mindset to deal with this problem
    Last edited by mewninn; March 11 2020 at 08:09:27 PM.

  7. #1247

    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    7,746
    Quote Originally Posted by The Contemporary Poster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Contemporary Poster View Post
    I've been reading Taleb so not gonna give much heed to models.

    At the end of the day if school closes for a month that's still only about 30 hours of learning time.
    And millions of hours of parents staying home to look after them. Including all the parents employed in the health system.
    Still small cost versus the potential downsides.
    Ah yeah mate just pull a couple of hundred thousand people out of the NHS at a time of unprecedented crisis that'll work a fuckin treat

  8. #1248
    walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    Posts
    6,586
    Unironic itshappening.jpg
      Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

  9. #1249
    Banned
    Join Date
    October 30, 2017
    Posts
    1,266
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Contemporary Poster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Contemporary Poster View Post
    I've been reading Taleb so not gonna give much heed to models.

    At the end of the day if school closes for a month that's still only about 30 hours of learning time.
    And millions of hours of parents staying home to look after them. Including all the parents employed in the health system.
    Still small cost versus the potential downsides.
    Ah yeah mate just pull a couple of hundred thousand people out of the NHS at a time of unprecedented crisis that'll work a fuckin treat
    If a million people get sick then you have maybe 100k need hospital care, way more than beds available. Most hospital staff aren't going to have relevant skills anyway, you'd just have to cancel all elective treatment and maybe come up with some contingency for key staff but it manageable compared to rapid spread overwhelming the system.

  10. #1250
    Armyofme's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Teddybears.
    Posts
    1,485
    A kid at my nephews class got it now, so now my sister and her family are stuck at home for the next 14 days

    phpBB : Critical Error
    Could not connect to the database

  11. #1251
    Liare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    14,242
    so, Denmark is functionally shutting down starting tomorrow. TLDR : if you work in healthcare, eldercare or a critical function, you're at work, specific arrangements to look after children will be provided for those that need it. everybody else are "working from home" in the public sector, companies are heavily encouraged to do the same, police have been empowered to break up assemblies larger than 100 people, by force if need be. every school, university, kinder-garden and what not is now closed unless it's part of the above arrangements provided to critical public employees.

    the first stage of taking national provisioning into government control are being carried out in order to make transitioning away from depending on supermarkets for food and essentials if further measures are required.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

    Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

  12. #1252

    Join Date
    July 3, 2014
    Posts
    5,127
    A bit of context (watch the trend, not just the number), Red: confirmed. Green:cured. Black: death.

    China, end is in sight.


    Italy, looks like it's peaking (spread is slowing down).


    US, not yet peaking

  13. #1253
    Liare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    14,242
    oh please, here's how it's done!



    notice how steep that exponent is ?

    the graph is y axis is a bit fucky, we've peaked past 500 cases now, it looks like it's just the numbers, the tendency matches.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

    Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

  14. #1254
    Banned
    Join Date
    October 30, 2017
    Posts
    1,266
    Quote Originally Posted by Candy Crush View Post
    A bit of context (watch the trend, not just the number), Red: confirmed. Green:cured. Black: death.

    China, end is in sight.


    Italy, looks like it's peaking (spread is slowing down).


    US, not yet peaking
    If we don't see further waves and mutations...

  15. #1255
    Caldrion Dosto's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 19, 2011
    Posts
    2,615
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    oh please, here's how it's done!



    notice how steep that exponent is ?

    the graph is y axis is a bit fucky, we've peaked past 500 cases now, it looks like it's just the numbers, the tendency matches.
    And it double every 4 days, so US is gonna have a shit ton of cases in like 8-12 days.

    Edit: Also the Denmark cases are way worse then that graph show.
    From article:
    reported 442 new cases of coronavirus on on Wednesday evening, bringing the number of people in quarantine to 1,303.
    Last edited by Caldrion Dosto; March 11 2020 at 08:48:26 PM.

  16. #1256
    Liare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    14,242
    we're not doubling every 4 days, we're doubling every day right now.

    edit : also, the peak is 512, not 442.

    edit 2 : here is a better one, with obligatory line rider bloke, it's from earlier today and thus has the 442 number.

    Last edited by Liare; March 11 2020 at 08:55:36 PM.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

    Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

  17. #1257
    Armyofme's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Teddybears.
    Posts
    1,485
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    we're not doubling every 4 days, we're doubling every day right now.

    edit : also, the peak is 512, not 442.

    edit 2 : here is a better one, with obligatory line rider bloke, it's from earlier today and thus has the 442 number.

    627 in Norway, 225 new ones today

    phpBB : Critical Error
    Could not connect to the database

  18. #1258
    Banned
    Join Date
    October 30, 2017
    Posts
    1,266
    So Italy is ordering all shops except pharmacies and food shops to close.

  19. #1259

    Join Date
    April 18, 2011
    Posts
    3,340
    2 married collegues went home today. Their youngest kid was in the same class as someone who tested positive for Corona. Another one went home with a fever supposedly, I'm hoping he just freaked out a bit. He's got a baby due in a few weeks so he's a bit of a wreck atm even before this Coronoa business.

    And the back of my throat started displaying typical signs of a cold coming on after I got home from work. Here's hoping I'm just freaking out myself and have developed hypocondria.


    On the positive side the Swedish government just removed deferred period of 1 day when you go on sick leave.
    Last edited by Spartan Dax; March 11 2020 at 09:16:41 PM.

  20. #1260
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    21,218
    How's Portugal? I'm off there for golfing shenanigans in April with a group of friends. Hoping covid puts off the boomers and we have the courses to ourselves. Maybe the benefit of youth is finally coming to me.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •