hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 128 of 202 FirstFirst ... 2878118125126127128129130131138178 ... LastLast
Results 2,541 to 2,560 of 4026

Thread: Donald J. Trump's Sarcastic Clorox Vaccination (Coronavirus Pandemic) thread

  1. #2541

    Join Date
    May 31, 2011
    Posts
    5,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    Here's where I don't know if I'm the asshole or not. I've always been un-easy about housing all these local authority cases - we're not really set up for people to be living in our rooms for weeks at a time, and it does feel like families get dumped on us by councils who don't have anything else to do with them. I've been begging and pleading for formalised arrangements to be put into place - maximum stay limits for individual families, a limit on the number of rooms they're allowed to book, and special terms and conditions for them.

    I've been pushing hard for the company to close the hotel or at least provide proper pay to those with no childcare and getting nowhere. At this point I don't know what else to do and I really can't tell if I'm being the asshole by not trying harder to keep my team calm and positive throughout all this - I get that the local authority is always going to need a certain amount of emergency housing but it shouldn't be operated as it is with people being housed in hotels for months on end, and I don't know how much longer I can stand forcing people to come to work.
    I don't have any practical to-do suggestions like the others above. I however suggest that, if you haven't already done so, be fully transparent to your staff. Communicate to them what you already did (for them). E.g. show them your suggestions that this situation should be formalized, but ignored, i.e. show your staff that you tried and had the forsight, but were ignored.

    This doesn't help to solve the dilemma at hand, but I think your staff might be more open for your suggestions (and might even come up with its own) on how to handle the situation. E.g. staffers with kids will self-arrange their shifts so that when they come to work, their kids are taken care of. Or even take care of the others kids for their shifts.

    In short: try to create a "we against them (up there)" community/bond instead a "them against me" one. Transparency helps with that, in my experience. Especially if your staff witnesses that their superior did quite some work behind the scenes. And don't be afraid to admit "I don't know what to do", just like you did here. Ask for their suggestions, you might actually be surprised what they come up with. The feeling to be included in the decision making process helps to accept the outcome. That's my personal experience, at least.

  2. #2542

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    4,409
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    even take care of the others kids for their shifts.
    Good advice except this part which, as Zekk said, I dont think thats allowed (or at least, not enouraged). What use is isolating if you share kids as desease vectors.

  3. #2543
    Cosmin's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14, 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    6,963
    Rough translation, still funny.

    Moscow in the 50s. Curfew in effect 2100 - 0600. Two soviet police officers see a guy sneaking around. One pulls out the gun and shoots him.
    - Volodia goddammit, why'd you shoot him? It's only 20:45!
    - I know him, he lives really far away from here, he wouldn't have made it.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

  4. #2544

    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    7,744
    UK to roll out widespread at-home serological testing as early as next week. Distribution to be handled primarily by Amazon in the first instance. The same test will also be used to facilitate rapid testing of "frontline" NHS workers.

  5. #2545

    Join Date
    May 1, 2011
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    UK to roll out widespread at-home serological testing as early as next week. Distribution to be handled primarily by Amazon in the first instance. The same test will also be used to facilitate rapid testing of "frontline" NHS workers.
    sauce?

  6. #2546

    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    7,744
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicomt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    UK to roll out widespread at-home serological testing as early as next week. Distribution to be handled primarily by Amazon in the first instance. The same test will also be used to facilitate rapid testing of "frontline" NHS workers.
    sauce?
    Testimony at the commons science + tech committee earlier today.

    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...le-within-days
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...ilable-within/
    etc.

  7. #2547

    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Chichester, UK
    Posts
    1,712
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    Here's where I don't know if I'm the asshole or not. I've always been un-easy about housing all these local authority cases - we're not really set up for people to be living in our rooms for weeks at a time, and it does feel like families get dumped on us by councils who don't have anything else to do with them. I've been begging and pleading for formalised arrangements to be put into place - maximum stay limits for individual families, a limit on the number of rooms they're allowed to book, and special terms and conditions for them.

    I've been pushing hard for the company to close the hotel or at least provide proper pay to those with no childcare and getting nowhere. At this point I don't know what else to do and I really can't tell if I'm being the asshole by not trying harder to keep my team calm and positive throughout all this - I get that the local authority is always going to need a certain amount of emergency housing but it shouldn't be operated as it is with people being housed in hotels for months on end, and I don't know how much longer I can stand forcing people to come to work.
    I don't have any practical to-do suggestions like the others above. I however suggest that, if you haven't already done so, be fully transparent to your staff. Communicate to them what you already did (for them). E.g. show them your suggestions that this situation should be formalized, but ignored, i.e. show your staff that you tried and had the forsight, but were ignored.

    This doesn't help to solve the dilemma at hand, but I think your staff might be more open for your suggestions (and might even come up with its own) on how to handle the situation. E.g. staffers with kids will self-arrange their shifts so that when they come to work, their kids are taken care of. Or even take care of the others kids for their shifts.

    In short: try to create a "we against them (up there)" community/bond instead a "them against me" one. Transparency helps with that, in my experience. Especially if your staff witnesses that their superior did quite some work behind the scenes. And don't be afraid to admit "I don't know what to do", just like you did here. Ask for their suggestions, you might actually be surprised what they come up with. The feeling to be included in the decision making process helps to accept the outcome. That's my personal experience, at least.
    Mass selling off of all council housing was a totally bullshit idea. Sorry to hear you having a tough time! Good luck.

  8. #2548
    Mashie Saldana's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Peterborough, UK
    Posts
    1,160
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicomt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    UK to roll out widespread at-home serological testing as early as next week. Distribution to be handled primarily by Amazon in the first instance. The same test will also be used to facilitate rapid testing of "frontline" NHS workers.
    sauce?
    Testimony at the commons science + tech committee earlier today.

    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...le-within-days
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...ilable-within/
    etc.
    Brilliant, I wonder if there will be some kind of government portal where people can upload their results to for statistics collection.
    How to tell the difference between Machine Learning and AI:
    If it is written in Python it is most likely Machine Learning.
    If it is written in PowerPoint it is most likely AI.

  9. #2549

    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    7,744
    I hope that's part of the reason they're using select partners in the first instance. Amazon have the capacity to track things down to the level of specific serial numbers being definitively delivered to specific addresses. Most logistics carriers do not, or at least not quickly/cheaply.

  10. #2550
    Malcanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Posts
    17,260
    Welp, the building where I work has been closed and we've all been told to go home while it gets "deep cleaned". Apparently we'll be contacted to advise when we can return.

    I guess that rather lights a fire under the 'will we, won't we give them VPNs?' debate at C-level.

    Fun fact: I was sneezing a bit this morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

  11. #2551

    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    7,744
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    I guess that rather lights a fire under the 'will we, won't we give them VPNs?' debate at C-level.
    How the fuck is any business that can have this debate still having this debate? Even from a purely capitalistic point of view if you can send your staff to work from home you'll survive this emergency better because fewer of them will get sick at once, and in the longer term you'll be more resilient and able to downscale your offices.


  12. #2552
    Liare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    14,242
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    I guess that rather lights a fire under the 'will we, won't we give them VPNs?' debate at C-level.
    How the fuck is any business that can have this debate still having this debate? Even from a purely capitalistic point of view if you can send your staff to work from home you'll survive this emergency better because fewer of them will get sick at once, and in the longer term you'll be more resilient and able to downscale your offices.

    for some, it's not about profits, it's about the control over other people's lives give them.

    giving out VPN's means relinquishing part of that control.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

    Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

  13. #2553

    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    7,744
    Does it shite, it means you get to install spyware into their home and demand they do things for you when you're not in their domain

    Not everything is a fucking class war

  14. #2554
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    21,212
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Does it shite, it means you get to install spyware into their home and demand they do things for you when you're not in their domain

    Not everything is a fucking class war
    Tbh that sounds like class war.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

  15. #2555
    Donor Spaztick's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    No Longer up High Sierra's Ass
    Posts
    10,514
    Stock markets going back up. Window for the low point's probably closed, but if you still got liquid cash to dump into it you'll still do well.

    Unequal distribution of capital doesn't matter when everyone has no capital.

  16. #2556
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    21,212
    The low point? It isn't even the beginning of it in America.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

  17. #2557
    Malcanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Posts
    17,260
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    I guess that rather lights a fire under the 'will we, won't we give them VPNs?' debate at C-level.
    How the fuck is any business that can have this debate still having this debate? Even from a purely capitalistic point of view if you can send your staff to work from home you'll survive this emergency better because fewer of them will get sick at once, and in the longer term you'll be more resilient and able to downscale your offices.

    for some, it's not about profits, it's about the control over other people's lives give them.

    giving out VPN's means relinquishing part of that control.
    Yeah this basically. It's going to be pretty difficult to re-cork that bottle after telling people for years that it's "impractical".
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

  18. #2558
    Approaching Walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8, 2013
    Posts
    9,403
    It's time to let yall know the TRUTH behind covid-19

    the DEEP STATES of the g8 got together and released this virus

    its bad but not bad enough to seriously put a dent in the population

    then they get their FAKE NEWS MEDIA spinning fear 24/7 to keep us inside

    central banks get together and start printing money en masse, making the currency worthless

    a few months from now when our economies are cratered an old people are dying in the streets is when it will happen

    FIRST CONTACT

    see they have been preparing us for aliens to reveal themselves for some time now

    even had COMMANDER DAVID FRAVOR go on joe rogan and talk about his ufo encounter

    so the aliens are gonna come and theyll have a vaccine to cure covid plus everything else

    we'll be so grateful to them hat we sign up for their galactic currency, "ProbeBux" and give up our freedom

    and that's how we'll become a colony of the galactic federation


  19. #2559
    GeromeDoutrande's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Fakefrenchistan
    Posts
    2,792
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Miriam Sasko View Post
    In Hanover/Germany, there was a break-in in the local medical university. 40l of area disinfectant, several hundred masks and protective goggles were stolen. Holy breakdown of civilization, batman.

    https://www.ndr.de/nachrichten/niede...nover5056.html
    There have been rumours of NHS staff being robbed at knife point for their IDs as a lot of shops and what not provide some freebies like coffee and stuff. Unsure what to call it, but it's a p. dumb break down of civilization imo. Like honestly I've been watching Avenue 5 and I can't see it as satire anymore with the amount of stupidity happening around the world right now.

    Like ok, it's a pandemic thingie, but then again people are seriously asking whether they can get the virus off fruit and stuff. Like, how have you not succumbed to hepatitis yet? Or parasites? I suppose this thing is more infectious, but there are plenty of stuffs you can catch from around the environment if you don't wash your hands or maintain hygiene.

    FFS.

    NHS staff warned to hide ID after spate of targeted muggings
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...geted-muggings

  20. #2560
    Movember 2012 Zekk Pacus's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    7,781
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Employ the social housing tenants as staff
    Most of them are people with disabilities or other issues - as much as I'd love to, my company doesn't really have many positions where reasonable adjustments can be made because you have to be fit and able to assist during fire alarms and other emergencies.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •