hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 71 of 84 FirstFirst ... 21616869707172737481 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,420 of 1670

Thread: North Korean Nuclear Boogaloo

Quote Originally Posted by Evelgrivion View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    He can't just launch cruise missiles against NK willy nilly without going through congress first, can he?
    That is almost certainly not going to be the way this happens if/when it does, and it's gonna have a lot less to do with "the scandals his administration needs to distract from" than the typical poster who'd unironically use "Drumpf" would expect.
    you massively underestimate how far up his own arse trump is capable of crawling.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

smuggo
    Didn't he launch cruise missiles against Syria not so long back without congressional approval?

The beeb did a bit of an 'analysis' on this a while back re: nuclear weapons. Unless the US is facing an immediate, massive bombardment there's enough checks and balances in place (same as for everything else with regard to the presidency). Although I did cast my mind back to this guy...

Hering served in the Vietnam War as part of the Air Rescue Service.[2] Twenty-one years into his Air Force career, while serving as a Minuteman missile crewman and expecting a promotion to lieutenant colonel,[2] he posed the following question during training at Vandenberg Air Force Base in late 1973, at a time when Richard Nixon was president:[4]

"How can I know that an order I receive to launch my missiles came from a sane president?"

Hering was pulled from training and, unable to receive a reply to his satisfaction, requested reassignment to different duties. Instead, the Air Force issued an administrative discharge for "failure to demonstrate acceptable qualities of leadership".[3] Hering appealed the discharge, and at the Air Force Board of Inquiry, the Air Force stated that knowing whether or not a launch order is lawful is beyond the executing officer's need to know. Hering replied:

"I have to say, I feel I do have a need to know, because I am a human being. It is inherent in an officer's commission that he has to do what is right in terms of the needs of the nation despite any orders to the contrary. You really don't know at the time of key turning, whether you are complying with your oath of office."

The Board of Inquiry ruled that Hering be discharged from the Air Force.[7] After his discharge, Hering became at first a long-haul trucker, and then a counselor.[2][8]

yes, i was thinking of that guy as well, especially considering Trump is displaying quite a few of the symptoms associated with dementia and his narcissism is legendary at this point, couple that with exterior pressure being brought to bear when it's revealed that he had his hands in the cookie jar (if he did that is) and the idea of a distraction such as war in Korea seems well almost appealing.

there are no checks and balances for sanity in the process anywhere, it's not terribly comforting.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    Didn't he launch cruise missiles against Syria not so long back without congressional approval?

The beeb did a bit of an 'analysis' on this a while back re: nuclear weapons. Unless the US is facing an immediate, massive bombardment there's enough checks and balances in place (same as for everything else with regard to the presidency). Although I did cast my mind back to this guy...

Hering served in the Vietnam War as part of the Air Rescue Service.[2] Twenty-one years into his Air Force career, while serving as a Minuteman missile crewman and expecting a promotion to lieutenant colonel,[2] he posed the following question during training at Vandenberg Air Force Base in late 1973, at a time when Richard Nixon was president:[4]

"How can I know that an order I receive to launch my missiles came from a sane president?"

Hering was pulled from training and, unable to receive a reply to his satisfaction, requested reassignment to different duties. Instead, the Air Force issued an administrative discharge for "failure to demonstrate acceptable qualities of leadership".[3] Hering appealed the discharge, and at the Air Force Board of Inquiry, the Air Force stated that knowing whether or not a launch order is lawful is beyond the executing officer's need to know. Hering replied:

"I have to say, I feel I do have a need to know, because I am a human being. It is inherent in an officer's commission that he has to do what is right in terms of the needs of the nation despite any orders to the contrary. You really don't know at the time of key turning, whether you are complying with your oath of office."

The Board of Inquiry ruled that Hering be discharged from the Air Force.[7] After his discharge, Hering became at first a long-haul trucker, and then a counselor.[2][8]
    Considering that the use of nuclear force lies within the "shits all fucked and if we don't launch we can't launch anyway" situation, this isn't really news

I'd be more interested to read how that works re: non-nuclear strategic arms, ie biological/chemical weapons

Super Ponerator Global Moderator Evelgrivion's Avatar
    The US' official retaliation policy for WMDs is Like for Like where applicable. Since the only WMD in the US' stockpile is nuclear, a chemical weapons attack may provoke a nuclear response.

Donor
    Quote Originally Posted by Evelgrivion View Post
    The US' official retaliation policy for WMDs is Like for Like where applicable. Since the only WMD in the US' stockpile is nuclear, a chemical weapons attack may provoke a nuclear response.
    US standpoint is less tit for tat with chemical and biological weapons due to the fact that chemical and biological weapons are messy and illogical when standard munitions will do the job. Realistically most developed nations have the tools to output a shit ton of biological and chemical (especially chemical) weapons with minimal windup time but the usefulness of doing so is so small that even when faced with an enemy using those weapons against them there is little point of going above conventional

Nuclear tit for tat is for when logic has left the building and it's time for most people to die and see if the survivors can make a better world.

Aren't countries like the US and most of the developed world banned from using biological and chemical weapons by the Geneva convention?
    Actually an '06.

EVE: OrangeAfroMan
    Dust514: Andrelommech
    WoT: NorthernNomad
    MWO: Loren Ward

www.twitch.tv/oameve

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAfroMan View Post
    Aren't countries like the US and most of the developed world banned from using biological and chemical weapons by the Geneva convention?
    The Chemical Weapons Convention & Biological Weapons Convention are the modern day limitations that supersede the Geneva Convention's regulations. WRT to chemical weapons, some are a bit of a grey area because they have medical or industrial applications, like mustard gas, or because they have military uses that are not reliant on the chemicals toxic effects, such as White Phosphorus. The US is still in the process of eliminating its stockpile of chemical weapons and aims to be done some time in 2023-2024

Donor
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAfroMan View Post
    Kinda™

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    The USA doesn't really play by anybody's rules, not even it's own.

Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    No superpower ever did.

Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Rules are for people to follow; Murica Leads

find the differences

China constructing North Korean border refugee camps in preparation for disaster: leaked report

China has reportedly begun constructing multiple refugee camps capable of holding large numbers of asylum seekers fleeing potential disaster on the Korean Peninsula, according to a document leaked on Chinese microblogging site Weibo. The document — which has since been pulled from Weibo but only after it was widely shared on social media and reported on — is attributed to the Changbai branch of the China Mobile Group, the country's largest state-owned telecommunications company.

China has not wanted to deal with this for a very long time. Perhaps this change in policy has been bought on by China's want to have more infulence in the region by being seen as the good guy rather than the idea that something might be about to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Varcaus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    South Korea will not accept this, Koreans will not accept this.
    Koreans can go fuck themselves for letting it get this way in the first place.
    Because they had much of a choice amirite.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Super Ponerator Global Moderator Evelgrivion's Avatar
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...ence-secretary

'Storm clouds are gathering over the Korean Peninsula' warns US defence secretary Jim Mattis

US defence secretary Jim Mattis has given a stark warning about the threat of confrontation with North Korea.

"Storm clouds are gathering" over the Korean Peninsula, he said as diplomats try to resolve the nuclear standoff.

Mr Mattis told soldiers that the US military must do its part by being ready for war.

Without forecasting a conflict, Mattis emphasized that diplomacy stands the best chance of preventing a war if America's words are backed up by strong and prepared armed forces.

"My fine young soldiers, the only way our diplomats can speak with authority and be believed is if you're ready to go," Mattis told several dozen soldiers and airmen at the 82nd Airborne Division's Hall of Heroes, his last stop on a two-day pre-holiday tour of bases to greet troops.

Mattis' comments came as the U.N. Security Council unanimously approved tough new sanctions against North Korea, compelling nations to sharply reduce their sales of oil to the reclusive country and send home all North Korean expatriate workers within two years. Such workers are seen as a key source of revenue for North Korean leader Kim Jong Un's cash-strapped government.

President Donald Trump and other top US officials have made repeated threats about US military action. Some officials have described the messaging as twofold in purpose: to pressure North Korea to enter into negotiations on getting rid of its nuclear arsenal, and to motivate key regional powers China and Russia to put more pressure on Pyongyang so a war is averted.

For the military, the focus has been on ensuring soldiers are ready should the call come.

At Fort Bragg, Mattis recommended the troops read T.R. Fehrenbach's military classic "This Kind of War: A Study in Unpreparedness," first published in 1963, a decade after the Korean War ended.

"Knowing what went wrong the last time around is as important as knowing your own testing, so that you're forewarned — you know what I'm driving at here," he said as soldiers listened in silence. "So you gotta be ready."

The retired Marine Corps general fielded questions on many topics. But North Korea kept coming up as troops wondered whether war looms.

Asked about recent reports that families of US service members in South Korea might be evacuated, Mattis stressed his belief that diplomacy could still avert a crisis. He said there is no plan now for an evacuation.

"I don't think it's at that point yet," he said, adding that an evacuation of American civilians would hurt the South Korean economy. He said there is a contingency plan that would get US service members' families out "on very short notice."

Mattis said he sees little chance of Kim disrupting the Winter Olympics, which begin in South Korea in February.

"I don't think Kim is stupid enough to take on the whole world by killing their athletes," he said.

Still, Mattis seemed determined to steel US troops against what could be a costly war on the Korean Peninsula even as he at one point argued that diplomacy is "going positively."

"There is very little reason for optimism," he said.

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post

they sure as fuck had 50 years to build farther away from Seoul.

Population density, how does it work...

Population density (people per sq. km)
    526 sq. Km
    Lets compare:

Germany: 237
    Netherlands:505
    Sweden: 24.31
    USA: 35
    Japan: 348
    China: 147
    India: 445

Yeah, those dorks, why didn't they just move their city?
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang