hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 64 of 65 FirstFirst ... 14546162636465 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 1288

Thread: North Korean Nuclear Boogaloo

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximillian View Post
    You missed my point. There are direct methods of communication between Russia and the USA where issues that alarm one side can be quickly addressed.
    Twitter?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow...ington_hotline

You missed my point. There are direct methods of communication between Russia and the USA where issues that alarm one side can be quickly addressed.
    Twitter?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ar_close_calls

If one side is convinced that it is being attacked for realsies there will be no calls as they would be useless at best.

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Twitter?

If one side is convinced that it is being attacked for realsies there will be no calls as they would be useless at best.
    Unless it is subs launching just of the coast you always have a few minutes to confirm before the MIRV's detonate.

Again the systems help stop false alarms from causing launches. Note that in several cases in the wiki you linked it was military personnel making the judgement that the reports they were receiving made no sense - either too few missiles were detected or given the geopolitical circumstances a sudden nuclear strike made no sense.

With all the BS flying backwards and forwards between NK and the USA coupled with the lack of direct lines of communication we are a lost US bomber or a NK missile landing by mistake in ROK or Japan away from an over-reaction.

Not that any of this matters, NK has nukes.

Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spawinte View Post
    Doesn't it depress you that any country has global MAD because they feel they need it?
    ofc it does, when you actively start thinking about it. But having a massive WMD stockpile in the hands of the types we have in NK just means you will be constantly reminded of it, as they probably will use it frequently in order to get political leverage of some kind.
    So posession of the larget nukular arsenal by Putin wasn't uncomfortable for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    Yeah but the multinational corporations can't get their hands on north korea's Rare Earth Mineral reserves unless the US attacks them
    Pfff, NK is infinitely closer to japfucks and zergs but afghanistan is far easier to tame.
    From my POV no.

The Cold War resulted in a whole set of systems that greatly reduced the chance of nuclear warfare starting by accident or misunderstanding.

I also believe that in his own weird Authoritarian way Putin cares about Russia (maybe not Russians but the idea of Russia).

Russia also has a professional military and a chain of command that means that it isn't easy for a single man to decide to launch the nukes.

The USA is the same, as with the UK and France. China I suspect has no interest in starting a nuclear war while they are on the rise.

It's the other nuclear powers - India, Pakistan, Israel - who worry me due to their lack of visible systems designed to stop nukes being used.

North Korea is the newest player, and you have secrecy on top of the impression that one man could chose to use nukes without checks or balances from the military or any civil power.

That's what is so concerning about a nation like NK having nukes.
    That's a fat load of bollocks spawned by your classism mate. NK has 70 years of building military up to 1954 soviet standards and they are people same as you or me.

Bet they love their children too.
    Small point of order.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Doesn't it depress you that any country has global MAD because they feel they need it?
    ofc it does, when you actively start thinking about it. But having a massive WMD stockpile in the hands of the types we have in NK just means you will be constantly reminded of it, as they probably will use it frequently in order to get political leverage of some kind.
    So posession of the larget nukular arsenal by Putin wasn't uncomfortable for you?

Yeah but the multinational corporations can't get their hands on north korea's Rare Earth Mineral reserves unless the US attacks them
    Pfff, NK is infinitely closer to japfucks and zergs but afghanistan is far easier to tame.
    From my POV no.

The Cold War resulted in a whole set of systems that greatly reduced the chance of nuclear warfare starting by accident or misunderstanding.

I also believe that in his own weird Authoritarian way Putin cares about Russia (maybe not Russians but the idea of Russia).

Russia also has a professional military and a chain of command that means that it isn't easy for a single man to decide to launch the nukes.

The USA is the same, as with the UK and France. China I suspect has no interest in starting a nuclear war while they are on the rise.

It's the other nuclear powers - India, Pakistan, Israel - who worry me due to their lack of visible systems designed to stop nukes being used.

North Korea is the newest player, and you have secrecy on top of the impression that one man could chose to use nukes without checks or balances from the military or any civil power.

That's a fat load of bollocks spawned by your classism mate. NK has 70 years of building military up to 1954 soviet standards and they are people same as you or me.

Small point of order.
    Pretty sure SA was very organized in 1954.

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post

From my POV no.

Small point of order.
    Pretty sure SA was very organized in 1954.
    Organized enough to fly over Best Korea.

meh

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Twitter?

Well, Jeltsin was presented with the nuclear football and was told "Either use them or loose them" and chose not to launch full on thermonuclear war, so there's that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_rocket_incident

This event resulted in a full alert being passed up through the military chain of command all the way to President Boris Yeltsin, who was notified and the "nuclear briefcase" (known in Russia as Cheget) used to authorize nuclear launch was automatically activated. Yeltsin activated his "nuclear keys" for the first time. No warning was issued to the Russian populace of any incident; it was reported in the news a week afterward.
    https://www.nrk.no/nordland/_-aldri-...krig-1.8005229

general Kolesnikov, ropte til president Boris Jeltsin at han måtte iverksette et motangrep. Men presidenten ventet. Han kunne ikke tro at USA ville starte et atomangrep.
    Translated: "General Kolesnikov shouted to president Boris Jeltsin that he had to initiate the counterattack. But the president waited. He could not believe the united states would start a nuclear war"

Twitter?

Well, Jeltsin was presented with the nuclear football and was told "Either use them or loose them" and chose not to launch full on thermonuclear war, so there's that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_rocket_incident

This event resulted in a full alert being passed up through the military chain of command all the way to President Boris Yeltsin, who was notified and the "nuclear briefcase" (known in Russia as Cheget) used to authorize nuclear launch was automatically activated. Yeltsin activated his "nuclear keys" for the first time. No warning was issued to the Russian populace of any incident; it was reported in the news a week afterward.
    https://www.nrk.no/nordland/_-aldri-...krig-1.8005229

general Kolesnikov, ropte til president Boris Jeltsin at han måtte iverksette et motangrep. Men presidenten ventet. Han kunne ikke tro at USA ville starte et atomangrep.
    Translated: "General Kolesnikov shouted to president Boris Jeltsin that he had to initiate the counterattack. But the president waited. He could not believe the united states would start a nuclear war"
    great job sherlock, this was in the article i posted

i like that you have to post a translation to english from norwegian of something that happened in russia, very condescending
    but obviously the state lies to us, only norgs know the truth

also

The problem with North Korea is the fact that these channels of direct communication do not exist. This means that an event which appears to be an attack by one side may result in a reaction before it can be determined whether it was an attack or not.
    This happened multiple times in the Cold War and nobody had the stones to end civilization on a hunch.
    Last edited by RazoR; October 5 2017 at 01:46:11 PM.

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar

i like that you have to post a translation to english from norwegian of something that happened in russia, very condescending
    I used the Norwegian article because that's the one the wiki article sourced. I have no clue what you knew about this already, it's a fairly unknown part of history (at least in detail) anywhere else including Norway.

Tl;Dr: You're being touchy

I used the Norwegian article because that's the one the wiki article sourced. I have no clue what you knew about this already, it's a fairly unknown part of history (at least in detail) anywhere else including Norway.

Tl;Dr: You're being touchy
    You have to understand for his whole life he has been told Yeltsin was a useless drunk and blamed for all the tragedy following ussr collapse. And here you are telling him he saved his and our lives pretty much. Hence the overreaction.

but obviously the state lies to us
    Welcome to the club.

Kim's pressure on the world was too much for some

TRAPS ARE GAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Smarnca View Post
    Not even sure where the context for this meme came from... (in this case, i know the french are surrender monkeys)
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smarnca View Post
    Not even sure where the context for this meme came from... (in this case, i know the french are surrender monkeys)
    French surrender monkeys, nothing more.

It's quite dumb and stale by now but some people can't let go.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Actually an '06.

EVE: OrangeAfroMan
    Dust514: Andrelommech
    WoT: NorthernNomad
    MWO: Loren Ward

www.twitch.tv/oameve

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAfroMan View Post
    U.S. and South Korean wartime operational plans, including a plan to wipe out the North Korean leadership, were stolen by North Korean hackers last year, a South Korean ruling party lawmaker said on Wednesday.

LOL wut
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    All countries military forces make plans for literally everything, the US probably have a plan on how to invade Canada

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    All countries military forces make plans for literally everything, the US probably have a plan on how to invade Canada
    Yep. Standard procedure is to update these plans every other year and file them away in a cabinet, IIRC.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    ... and the Zombie apocalypse: https://www.wired.com/2011/06/army-g...mbie-invasion/