hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 35 of 51 FirstFirst ... 253233343536373845 ... LastLast

Thread: North Korean Nuclear Boogaloo

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    the problem with gun-type devices is they are quite inefficient, the yield is low, the fallout is substantial and it requires pure Pu-239 to function
    Nope. Using Plutonium in a gun type design will not work. You need to use highly enriched uranium for a gun type bomb. With plutonium it will start to fission before the two parts are merged because plutonium are much more volatile. There are huge number of neutrons flying around and it will start to go off before the optimal configuration and not able to sustain a chain reaction big enough for a typical nuclear bomb of hiroshima size.

Only one here to predict a win for God Emperor
    Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeekar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Miep View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    japs are just jealous NK can into strategic weapons
    I'm sure it wont take Japan long to harness the power of godzilla or something...
    Well, Japan may start to produce nuclear weapons themselfs anytime they feel they need to.
    Remember reading they have have everything ready within 3 months.
    I doubt that's a realistic estimate
    Wiki says a year. They have the missile tech and enough weapons grade radioactive material.
    Yeah, that sounds more realistic. They would have to construct a dedicated reprocessing plant where they would dissolve the irradiated uranium (spent nuclear fuel) in order to separate the plutonium from the radioactive fission products. There is no point building such plants unless you are decided upon building nuclear weapons and Japan have categorically dismissed that notion, so I really doubt they have any weapons grade plutonium ready to put into a bomb they could test right now tbh.
    24 hours is the more realistic number, the official 6 months number is bullshit.

They have the nuke parts, the ICBM's and the fissile materials. It just hasn't been assembled.

What did you think JAXA and the large amounts of stored plutonium/uranium at Fukushima are for? After the earthquake everyone was panicking and questioning why there was so much material stored there (and likely at other plants). Well, guess why.
    Last edited by Rakshasa The Cat; August 29 2017 at 09:14:26 AM.
    Are you an engineer? -- Quack

Welp I didnt wake up to a post apocalyptic Fallout 3 like world

Rak what if that was just nuclear waste produced by the power plant?

Quote Originally Posted by Rakshasa The Cat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeekar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Miep View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    japs are just jealous NK can into strategic weapons
    I'm sure it wont take Japan long to harness the power of godzilla or something...
    Well, Japan may start to produce nuclear weapons themselfs anytime they feel they need to.
    Remember reading they have have everything ready within 3 months.
    I doubt that's a realistic estimate
    Wiki says a year. They have the missile tech and enough weapons grade radioactive material.
    Yeah, that sounds more realistic. They would have to construct a dedicated reprocessing plant where they would dissolve the irradiated uranium (spent nuclear fuel) in order to separate the plutonium from the radioactive fission products. There is no point building such plants unless you are decided upon building nuclear weapons and Japan have categorically dismissed that notion, so I really doubt they have any weapons grade plutonium ready to put into a bomb they could test right now tbh.
    24 hours is the more realistic number, the official 6 months number is bullshit.

They have the nuke parts, the ICBM's and the fissile materials. It just hasn't been assembled.

What did you think JAXA and the large amounts of stored plutonium/uranium at Fukushima are for? After the earthquake everyone was panicking and questioning why there was so much material stored there (and likely at other plants). Well, guess why.
    Hate to agree with the biggest troll on the forums... but this.. they dont need to research shit they can already do it, its just they had to say they couldn't because of treaties that only they were still upholding.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Smarnca View Post
    Welp I didnt wake up to a post apocalyptic Fallout 3 like world

Rak what if that was just nuclear waste produced by the power plant?
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26716697

They got so much of it ready to use they felt comfortable handing some over to the US.

And they've had a reactor for the reprocessing for years, even had an 'accident' where video was lost so international observers couldn't confirm if anything was moved out of an unmonitored area of a facility.

Their three-stage solid fuel booster is perfect as an ICBM, and Hayabusa shows they got reentry technology.

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Yeah, 24hours to build a nuke. Just ... no. CBA to argue with him, because he is an unsufferable twat to have a discussion with.

Germany is in a similar situation. We make the centrifuges other countries use to enrich, one of the Urenco enrichment plants is in Germany. We don't really have ICBMs, but our Tornados can deliver US built nukes already and we have extensive aerospace research and engineering capabilities.

But if we really wanted our own nukes, we'd just ask the French for a technology transfer.

Spoiler:
    In September 2007 the French president Nicolas Sarkozy offered Germany to participate in the control over the French nuclear arsenal. Chancellor Merkel and foreign minister Steinmeier declined the offer however, stating that Germany "had no interest in possessing nuclear weapons". Due to concerns over Vladimir Putin's actions, Merkel reversed her position, stating to the German press, "As long as there are nuclear weapons in the world, we need to have these capabilities, as NATO says."
    Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German...War_and_beyond
    nevar forget

Yeah, 24hours to build a nuke. Just ... no. CBA to argue with him, because he is an unsufferable twat to have a discussion with.
    Assemble, not build.

It is a common assumption by people who know such stuff that the situation is more akin to all the parts being in the same room just awaiting assembly, rather than needing to build a nuke.

the problem with gun-type devices is they are quite inefficient, the yield is low, the fallout is substantial and it requires pure Pu-239 to function
    Nope. Using Plutonium in a gun type design will not work. You need to use highly enriched uranium for a gun type bomb. With plutonium it will start to fission before the two parts are merged because plutonium are much more volatile. There are huge number of neutrons flying around and it will start to go off before the optimal configuration and not able to sustain a chain reaction big enough for a typical nuclear bomb of hiroshima size.
    right you are i got plutonium and enriched uranium mixed up, the point is gun-type weapons are reasonably easy to construct while also having a shape that is reasonably simple to fit into a warhead you can stick on top of a missile.

the biggest problem is usually warhead size and shape, thermonuclear devices are cylindrical and based on a spherical implosion type weapon thus they can be unreasonably big for the types of missiles north korea is firing at the moment, unless they got a boatload of help on warhead design.
    Last edited by Liare; August 29 2017 at 10:14:18 AM.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Japan can't use nukes because the Antarctic treaty banned their use early on in the one year war.

Spoiler:

japan pls

The good thing is that China seemed to have put their foot down towards Lil' Kim and his shenanigans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

I'm kinda skimming but re: Japan.

Wouldn't they have a major aversion, culturally, to using nukes after Hiroshima and Nagasaki? I'd imagine that + later nuclear reactors incidents and Fukushima would make them fucking gunshy of making nuclear weaponry. It's a miracle they even have nuclear energy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN] View Post
    The good thing is that China seemed to have put their foot down towards Lil' Kim and his shenanigans.
    Someone mentioned a pretty interesting concept to me a lil while back, basically China could do a lot more than they have been to put a stop to it if they wanted to, and a large part of the reason why they havent is that if the Norks actually launch something at the US, its a chance for China to see our missile defenses in action and gauge their effectiveness. These things have only ever been tested in scenarios where we know exactly the speed, altitude, and heading of the test articles, with the interception systems in optimal locations.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post

Wouldn't they have a major aversion, culturally, to using nukes after Hiroshima and Nagasaki? I'd imagine that + later nuclear reactors incidents and Fukushima would make them fucking gunshy of making nuclear weaponry. It's a miracle they even have nuclear energy.
    Popular support amongst the population versus the technocratic elite politicians is very different.

Do not confuse the tatemae of japanese geopolitics with the honne of what they are actually doing behind the scene.

My fav English twat from Japan this morning.

Movember '11 Ginger Excellence Movember 2011Movember 2012 sarabando's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakshasa The Cat View Post

Popular support amongst the population versus the technocratic elite politicians is very different.

Do not confuse the tatemae of japanese geopolitics with the honne of what they are actually doing behind the scene.
    Read:Japan are racist fucks who hate the chinese and would nuke them into the stone age if they thought for a second they could get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by DerWish View Post
    My fav English twat from Japan this morning.
    You can tell he's a twat because he says things like "6am in the morning".

Quote Originally Posted by Spawinte View Post
    You can tell he's a twat because he says things like "6am in the morning".
    Yeah, it's supposed to be 朝の六時.

Yepp: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan%...weapons_policy

tl;dr
    What Rak said.

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    right you are i got plutonium and enriched uranium mixed up, the point is gun-type weapons are reasonably easy to construct while also having a shape that is reasonably simple to fit into a warhead you can stick on top of a missile.

the biggest problem is usually warhead size and shape, thermonuclear devices are cylindrical and based on a spherical implosion type weapon thus they can be unreasonably big for the types of missiles north korea is firing at the moment, unless they got a boatload of help on warhead design.
    Is that turn based.